15th Death At Lodi Facility Since 2000

24fdb412737e498a7383a4637fb005fe.gif

The cool thing about helicopters shedding parts: everything is spinning away from itself. So there's that.
Well that's good. At least I can be at piece knowing that when my body hits the earth it will be relatively clear of the wreckage.

Well that's good. At least I can be at piece knowing that when my body hits the earth it will be relatively clear of the wreckage.
You do see a lot of people just walk away from helicopter crashes. The non-CFIT one's anyways.

I'm truly hoping that at about second 6, I might have the presence of mind to shut it down. Then again, it's a helo... wobbling and rocking probably just seems, er, normal?

The Lodi DZ is known as the place where you can do any-ting you want for $20. No rules plus a group of people who thrive on risk taking. It's the American dream, really.

Based on the way it's strapped down I believe this was done deliberately

Yes, a ground reasonance test. GR is a pain in the ass in certain helicopters, however is easily rectifed by lifiting into a hover and separating from the ground contact.

Seeing a lot of the commentary from people who most likely have not been there is disconcerting. It is not an all out "fun zone" as people like to call it. The owner will fire you for any number of infractions. One of the biggest killers of skydivers is swooping, which is illegal there. Skydiving is obviously has a degree of risk, and you minimize thru training, knowledge, observation of the basic safety rules, etc. Lodi is not the only one who has had fatalities in recent times. There was a tandem fatality at Lake Tahoe that didn't get near the media coverage as Lodi received.

Yes it is sad that there was a fatality that took the life of a young kid about a year ago. But you do sign a waiver, you may die undertaking this activity. If that is not black and white enough for you, I don't know what is. It is also very unfortunate that it took that to uncover a dirty tandem examiner who was fudging people's training and credentials. No one can't say that hasn't happened in our realm of flying, it took someone, or someones dying to uncover a less than by the book practice, or finally get regulations changed and or amended.

There is a risk every time we fly, (or fall). Stay Frosty.

Back