15th Death At Lodi Facility Since 2000

Its my lunch break. I nearly hurled on this one.

tall-building-daredevil.gif

I hate you!

I jumped at FWN in NJ maybe 11 or 12 years ago. It was awesome. But if I knew then what I know now, no way. FWN is directly underneath the arrival route for TEB and prop EWR landers at 6,000 and just after the point where Boston Center ships to us. It's also an area where we have crappy radar and radio coverage below 3500 at all times and sometimes higher. I've seen so many close calls between arrivals and the jump planes there who just climb straight up and half the time don't call us til they're out of 6500. I wouldn't be surprised if @bimmerphile has seen that jump plane closer than he'd like.

I jumped at FWN in NJ maybe 11 or 12 years ago. It was awesome. But if I knew then what I know now, no way. FWN is directly underneath the arrival route for TEB and prop EWR landers at 6,000 and just after the point where Boston Center ships to us. It's also an area where we have crappy radar and radio coverage below 3500 at all times and sometimes higher. I've seen so many close calls between arrivals and the jump planes there who just climb straight up and half the time don't call us til they're out of 6500. I wouldn't be surprised if @bimmerphile has seen that jump plane closer than he'd like.
Yeah, I hear them on freq but hadn't had any close calls or RAs. that leg from HUO to COATE comes pretty close to FWN though. More RAs from GA skirting the bravo, or landing on 11. I had my last flight in the Dash so I'm not going that way anymore :(
The center loved when I worked at 31E and would get to climb right underneath/through the JFK arrivals

That place is a major crap factory.
Just say the name... slowly. You'll hear it!!
Some things? Just say no.

Hey, @Dallen, you know who flies VFR through clouds to go drop jumpers at LoDi, amirite?

It's a skydiving facility, the activity is inherently dangerous. 15 people who took the risk and lost? So what.
If at first you don't succeed...
Skydiving is not for you!

It's really not the company at Lodi, or at least it's not that the company at Lodi is any more sketchy or eff-ed up than any other skydying purveyor.

Last edited by a moderator:
You might be surprised how many skydivers are afraid of heights. Just like flying, at altitude there is no sense of height when leaving the plane.
Fear of heights and fear of exposure (edges, etc) are two very different things.

Fear of heights and fear of exposure (edges, etc) are two very different things.

I guess. Worked for a roofing contractor in high school. I may have issues, but heights and edges aren't them. Even in hotels like Rennesance or those ones with the huge open atriums, I look down and calculate how much freefall time is available. I've done some BASE jumping, but it really wasn't my thing.

I don't know about anyone else but I'm all about doing adrenaline-inducing things on occasion but jumping out of an airplane and assuming the chute works is something I have absolutely no interest in ever doing. Just thinking about it gives me anxiety.
Hell, the only way that Mike D could get me up in a chopper is like this. lol

upload_2017-9-21_20-21-22.jpeg

Hell, the only way that Mike D could get me up in a chopper is like this. lol

View attachment 40327

I have a friend who refuses to get in helicopters but it has nothing to do with heights. His hang up is he is a structural engineer and refuses to fly in a, "flying pile of metal fatigue and uncontrolled oil leaks."

It's not that bad.... we totally have understood acceptable rates of the oil leaks.

I have a friend who refuses to get in helicopters but it has nothing to do with heights. His hang up is he is a structural engineer and refuses to fly in a, "flying pile of metal fatigue and uncontrolled oil leaks."

It's not that bad.... we totally have understood acceptable rates of the oil leaks.
He's a wise man. I think helicopters are marvelous machines (especially gunships), but hells bells, that is some foreign flying and equipment compared to fixed wing.
upload_2017-9-21_21-14-58.jpeg

Last edited:
Bejebus! That's special! I knew you were secretly looking to kill my old ass. lmao

I've always fantasized about taking a ride in an old school Huey though. But there would have to be conditions. No steep dives, no steep turns, no side skidding/slipping, no steep climbs, no balancing on one skid, and no roll overs. Just straight up and down and forward flying. I also want one of those real expensive, serious crash helmets and a nomex suit. :D

Last edited:

It's the whole concept of the "Jesus Nut" that makes me think helos are sketchy.

It's the whole concept of the "Jesus Nut" that makes me think helos are sketchy.

Thats only in your semi-rigid rotor system helos, like Jet Rangers and two-bladed Hueys. Just don't negative-G them, and they're fine. :)

Back