121 future with vaccine

AAPalmTree

I know I’ve been throwing a lot of politics around buuuut this is an honest question I really would like a crystal ball to answer.

Basis:
1) a vaccine will be out this fall (due to Trump and not tested to the extent the doctors feel safe)
2) a vaccine will be out next spring/summer that the experts feel safe with (specific expert said he’d give this one to his children link below)

with either one of these in mind-

-will the public take it and return to flying/sporting events “normal life”etc

-will the media play a role in the success of a springtime/safe Vaccine based on the results of the election?

Or

has the media (both sides) has become so unethical that they will further their agenda regardless of the safety/efficacy of a vaccine.

thoughts?

good reference on the vaccine that talks about both scenarios:

This just my own personal opinion, but people already don’t take the flu vaccine, why would people want to take a Covid vaccine?

People at least in my part of Texas are already going about as if life is normal. No masking no distancing even though there are signs outside of establishments that masks are required due to local ordnance. They wear a mask to get in and as soon as they’re in the door the mask comes off.

Life goes on, people will die. People die from the flu all the time

Even if the vaccine is developed, the current administration has not provided any leadership to the current events that have led to our current situation. Why would they develop a comprehensive national plan on vaccinating the public?

Kind of like all of the newly unemployed losing their health insurance. The Republican Party had eight years to come up with a health care plan to replace the unpopular affordable care act. When they assumed power in 2016, four years later they still don’t have a replacement plan to present. So 12 years and still don’t have a plan even though the administration has promised one by August... but he was just kidding. He really means well. Don’t take him literally.

So I personally don’t expect the vaccine effort to ever be successful in this country. The current administration can’t be bothered with the details like everything else these past four years. They’ll just go thru to motions to make it look like they’re doing something.

The only thing they’re focused on is winning the election. After the election, if they are in power, they still won’t bother with the vaccine because they’ve accomplished their goal of winning the election.

It’s not about vaccinating people to prevent deaths.

It is what it is and people are going to do whatever. Fly, not fly.

But if the current administration had cared enough to lead, I personally think it didn’t have to come to this and we’d all be flying and none of us had to be furloughed.

Our president lives in his own personal reality but we the country have to live with the consequences of the decisions he makes in his reality.

Last edited:
But if the current administration had cared enough to lead, I personally think it didn’t have to come to this and we’d all be flying and none of us had to be furloughed.

To state this is to ignore what every expert has said about airline travel worldwide during a global viral pandemic. Even when it started, the likes of ATA said 2024 until a recovery.

Those who fly/travel will probably vaccinate in huge numbers.

REGARDLESS of administration (Trump or Biden), I don’t see any change in the response to a Corona vaccine. I believe the polls when 1/3 say they ain’t taking a vaccine shot. And Fauci said that kind of lack of participation will not lead to herd immunity.

Good luck to us all.

I really worry that the hypochondria in the world is permanent. Even with an effective vaccine I don’t see people feeling “safe” sandwiched between two strangers in the middle seat. The psychological trauma is here to stay.

The media also has a lot of juicy content over this pandemic that they won’t be happy to give up. They’ll possibly pivot to tracking seasonal flu cases and deaths every fall and winter if Covid ever dies down to the point that even they can’t scare people with it anymore.

I used the U of W projections back in June or July to predict 1 million passengers by October 1. I just visited the site again and U of W has 3 scenarios: It shows us going to normal (ish) by Jan 1, back to today's levels January 1, or back to complete meltdown January 1. I just looked this up so I've got some reading to do to understand the modeling.

I sincerely hope we are on track for normal (ish)

2020-09-07.png

Well. That is very depressing. The basis for the increase or decrease in projections for social distancing is quite simply just government mandates for social distancing. So basically, if State or Federal government decides to mandate social distancing again it is possible we will see another March/April/May crash by December 1.

Personally I think we will finally see things go one way or another by December 1. I will just be happy to either have the furlough band aid ripped off and move on with my life or see passenger numbers come roaring back.

I think we are years away from "normal"
You, I, and my chief (stopped by this morning after my trip for official rumors as opposed to unofficial ones) agree. He thinks 2-3, at least, for “normal” as in 2019 levels of normal.

You, I, and my chief (stopped by this morning after my trip for official rumors as opposed to unofficial ones) agree. He thinks 2-3, at least, for “normal” as in 2019 levels of normal.
2019 was a record year. 2-3 years would be ok with me. I think things would be great if we could return to 2018 levels sooner than that. I just can’t wrap my head around the vaccine fixing the (unwarranted, I feel) fear people have right now.

Well. That is very depressing. The basis for the increase or decrease in projections for social distancing is quite simply just government mandates for social distancing. So basically, if State or Federal government decides to mandate social distancing again it is possible we will see another March/April/May crash by December 1.

I’m on the road and can’t dive into that report, but can you elaborate on the bold part? I’m not following what you’re saying.

I think the problem, off the bad, is that the only entities pre-announcing an October vaccine are politicians.

My yellow card is full of delicious vaccines and boosters but there is almost zero chance I’m taking anything that skirted phase three.

If you want to know why I don’t volunteer to be a test subject, google “Tuskegee experiments”.

I’m on the road and can’t dive into that report, but can you elaborate on the bold part? I’m not following what you’re saying.

Basically in May the U of W modeling of the amount of social distancing % of people moving around was spot on, more or less for the passenger numbers we are seeing now.

The only controlling factors are the social distancing mandates.

In short our industry is purely at the mercy of the local, state and federal distancing requirements. In other words our jobs are dependent on how well the pandemic is handled. That doesn't really bode well for our jobs.

I think the problem, off the bad, is that the only entities pre-announcing an October vaccine are politicians.

My yellow card is full of delicious vaccines and boosters but there is almost zero chance I’m taking anything that skirted phase three.

If you want to know why I don’t volunteer to be a test subject, google “Tuskegee experiments”.

P.S. you're gonna have a bad time

Back