121.652(a) High Minimums PIC

flystoomuch

I need help understanding 121.652(a)

The first sentence is not a problem and is further explained by the table in OpSpec C054 which (for example) increases published landing minimums from RVR 1800 to RVR 4500 for high minimum pilots.
(a) If the pilot in command of an airplane has not served 100 hours as pilot in command in operations under this part in the type of airplane he is operating, the MDA or DA/DH and visibility landing minimums in the certificate holder's operations specification for regular, provisional, or refueling airports are increased by 100 feet and one-half mile (or the RVR equivalent).

It is the second sentence that makes absolutely no sense to my little pea brain:
The MDA or DA/DH and visibility minimums need not be increased above those applicable to the airport when used as an alternate airport, but in no event may the landing minimums be less than 300 and 1.

Is there anyone that can give me a simple but precise plain English explanation of that second sentence?
clip_image001.gif

HELP PLEASE!

If you are a high mins PIC you have to raise the mins on your instrument approaches for the destination airport (add 100 and 1/2).

If you have to go to the alternate, you can use the published mins as long as they are at least 300 and 1. If they're less than that, you use 300 and 1.

Yeah, what he said.

I'm a little confused on this as well...

121.652 (b)The 100 hours of pilot in command experience required by paragraph (a) of this section may be reduced (not to exceed 50 percent) by substituting one landing in operations under this part in the type of airplane for 1 required hour of pilot in command experience, if the pilot has at least 100 hours as pilot in command of another type airplane in operations under this part.

So, say a PIC has 75 hours PIC in the 747 for example, but has 500 hours PIC time in the 727. He could then fly the published minimums at the destination airport as a 747 PIC. But what if he goes to the alternate? Would the 747 PIC still be limited to the 300/1 rule at the alternate?

I'm a little confused on this as well... (b)The 100 hours of pilot in command experience required by paragraph (a) of this section may be reduced (not to exceed 50 percent) by substituting one landing in operations under this part in the type of airplane for 1 required hour of pilot in command experience, if the pilot has at least 100 hours as pilot in command of another type airplane in operations under this part.

So, say a PIC has 75 hours PIC in the 747 for example, but has 500 hours PIC time in the 727. He could then fly the published minimums at the destination airport as a 747 PIC. But what if he goes to the alternate? Would the 747 PIC still be limited to the 300/1 rule at the alternate?

It's just a ratio. The pilot was off high mins on the 727, goes to the whale. In your example, apparently in 1973 ;) , if in the 74, since being released from OE, the pilot has 75 hours & 25 landings, no high mins. If the pilot has 75 hours & 6 landings, you have to add 100 + 1/2 to the minimums at the destination, or the a minimum of 300 & 1 at the alternate.

My question is this - If your dept wx is below the adjusted mins for a high mins capt then is a t/o alt required?

Back