1000TT and Below Post Them As You Find Them

Theresa, I don't think you have carefully read my post. Let me explain clearly my stance:

One should build their time via flight instructing. That is a great way to build your time and learn a lot. I came that route before landing a job on a Challenger 604 corporate Jet.

Did you go from CFII/MEI straight into the Challenger?

Not to hijack this thread, but my main goal right now is to try to get in somewhere instructing. If I can do this and get up to around 1500-2000TT, would that be considered paying my dues?

What defines this philosophy?

Paying your dues isn't about getting your TT up to a certain point, there is more to it than that. You can't expect that once you get a certain amount of time, people should or will hand you a better job. To answer your question, no, it likely wouldn't be, at least not in today's market. I'm there now, and as much as I want to move on, I'm planning on having to do it for another year, at least, unfortunately. I think a lot of it depends on the market, 2-3yrs ago, someone who instructed for 6mos had "paid their dues" (debatable...) for that market. Today, it might be 2-3yrs of instructing, or more before you can move on.

Please, PLEASE do not instruct to put hours in your logbook. You would be wasting your student's, and your own time.

Please, PLEASE do not instruct to put hours in your logbook. You would be wasting your student's, and your own time.

I disagree with that. I instructed to put hours into my logbook and earn a living, but I also enjoyed it, took it very seriously, and was 100% committed to the job.

Let's face it, most flight instructors are time builders... With few exceptions, flight instruction is a stepping stone job to other careers in aviation. The problem (IMHO) is when people are flight instructing ONLY to put hours in their logbook, and don't really care for instructing. That is not good, and is extremely unfair to the student. Fortunately (for students) there are a lot of choices available for CFIs, so if they get some schmuck they can easily get somebody to replace him/her in a short amount of time. That wasn't necessarily true a couple of years ago though.

I disagree with that. I instructed to put hours into my logbook and earn a living, but I also enjoyed it, took it very seriously, and was 100% committed to the job.

Let's face it, most flight instructors are time builders... With few exceptions, flight instruction is a stepping stone job to other careers in aviation. The problem (IMHO) is when people are flight instructing ONLY to put hours in their logbook, and don't really care for instructing. That is not good, and is extremely unfair to the student. Fortunately (for students) there are a lot of choices available for CFIs, so if they get some schmuck they can easily get somebody to replace him/her in a short amount of time. That wasn't necessarily true a couple of years ago though.
So you do agree with etflies. That (in bold) is pretty much what he said.

I think as long as you work hard and show people you are committed to doing whatever it takes, regardless of how many hours or what you are flying, that is paying your dues. You can pay your dues cleaning an aircraft, flight instructing, or even flying a jet. It's just what your mentality is and your attitude towards the operation and your career. If you take things seriously, and put it above everything else in your life (minus maybe your health/family), you will see a reward.

Sorry, not buying it. See a reward from who?

So you do agree with etflies. That (in bold) is pretty much what he said.

Really? I thought I said this:

The problem (IMHO) is when people are flight instructing ONLY to put hours in their logbook, and don't really care for instructing.

There's a difference between those that care, and those that don't. A BIG difference.

I'm with wrxpilot on this one. Yes I got my CFI with the hope of building time/gaining experience. But that's not the only reason. I just enjoy flying in general, and I'm not hellbent on having to be in the right seat of a CRJ in 6 months. I really don't care.

I often think back to my student pilot days when aviation was new and exciting to me, and if I can help guide someone through that same excitement, well that would be awesome :D

Any chance of this thread getting back on track?

Why? Its easier to click into a single job posting, if its below 1000 TT required post it in the title. Don't think your going to see to many of those though.

This thread has become more of a novelty now

Came across this post randomly. Anyone want to start replying to these threads again? The help would be appreciated :D

Back