$100 user fee

I'm not a fan of AOPA ever since they bought that Flight Training magazine which has those ATP flight school ads. Now, it can be said that JC has ATP flight school ads as well, but this site is free and Derg is way cooler than AOPA. Anyhow, if I'm not paying my fair share with my little airplane, I'd be just fine with being banned from ever talking to a control tower, never flying IFR, and not having a FSDO at my little GA airport. If I'm not paying my fair share I'd be happy to have the government out of my little airplane flying.

What, no love for EAA? They're fighting right now for your right to build a powered kite airplane or poor craftsmanship and fly it over a heavily populated area!

:sarcasm:

The EAA had done more for aviation in the US in the last 30 years than anything else I can think of.

When I build my aircraft of questionable airworthiness someday, I am glad they are protecting my right to pay a test pilot with minimal qualification to fly it for me.

Derg, what you call "pulling up the rope," I call preservation of my livelihood. But to each his own.

You know, a big chunk of us work in the GA realm and care about our livelihoods too.

And many of us gained nearly all of our experience, prerequisite to a seniority number, flying GA. Making that more costly for no good reason is something we can all agree is "pulling the rope up."

But most importantly, it isn't "the government's" or "the airline's" airspace. It belongs to the people, and so long as they are operating safely and legally in it, we all have a right to be there. Blimps, airliners, crop dusters. Even a Cirrus if you must :)

The EAA had done more for aviation in the US in the last 30 years than anything else I can think of.

When I build my aircraft of questionable airworthiness someday, I am glad they are protecting my right to pay a test pilot with minimal qualification to fly it for me.

I'm actually an EAA member - joined to do Young Eagles. I'll give them credit for that fo sure.

So when people say something you don't like, you take your ball and go home. Nicely played

Not at all. Go back and check the old threads. I've debated this issue ad nauseum. Just not really interested in doing it again. Nobody's perspective is going to change, and nobody has anything to new to say.

ATN_Pilot is FINISHED talking about it. You can search for yourselves! He's been talking about it FOR YEARS!

At least he's consistently ignorant, though. Gotsta have respect for that.

ATN_Pilot's position on this has been hashed out pretty thoroughly before. I don't agree with him, but I understand why he doesn't want to expend the energy to defend his position for the umpteenth time in a new thread. I don't like how he feels about user fee's, but ignorant definitely isn't the word I'd use to describe it.

You know, a big chunk of us work in the GA realm and care about our livelihoods too.

And many of us gained nearly all of our experience, prerequisite to a seniority number, flying GA. Making that more costly for no good reason is something we can all agree is "pulling the rope up."

But most importantly, it isn't "the government's" or "the airline's" airspace. It belongs to the people, and so long as they are operating safely and legally in it, we all have a right to be there. Blimps, airliners, crop dusters. Even a Cirrus if you must :)
Thank you.

Not every professional pilot works for a 121 carrier. In fact, my main mentors in this career have never set foot in a 121 cockpit. GA is more than just pancake fly-ins and putzing around on the weekend (though the recreational side of GA keeps many small town FBOs, A&P's, and CFI's in business. Not to mention the support staff who keep the airports themselves running.

"Fair" is a funny kind of word. Part of the FAA's charter is to run an air traffic control system that supports the military. So, the basic underpinning of ATC would need to exist even if there were no civilian aircraft. But, does any of DoD's budget get siphoned off into the FAA's budget? Does the military pay any fuel tax that goes into the FAA's budget? So, when someone says GA isn't paying their fair share, you have to think about your definition of the word "fair".

ATN_Pilot's position on this has been hashed out pretty thoroughly before. I don't agree with him, but I understand why he doesn't want to expend the energy to defend his position for the umpteenth time in a new thread. I don't like how he feels about user fee's, but ignorant definitely isn't the word I'd use to describe it.

Thank you. Nice to see that some people can have a disagreement without it getting ugly.

ATN_Pilot I'm curious to know your position. Any idea what topic you posted it in, so that I may have a look? I'm 100 pages in, and haven't gotten out of May of this year. A little help?

Honestly, I can't remember. There have probably been at least three or four threads of it, which is why I'm tired of going over it. You can only debate the same crap so many times. Just do a search for my username and "user fees."

Thank you. Nice to see that some people can have a disagreement without it getting ugly.

No sense in making a ruckus. I'll never change your mind about it and you're entitled to your opinion. I just hope that one day you get the desire to rejoin GA and maybe then you'll appreciate the other side of the argument. Until then, clear skies and a smooth ride!

Back