$100 hamburgers or weekend trips from DFW area?

ZapBrannigan

If it ain’t a Boeing, I’m not going. No choice.
Now that we have access to club airplanes, I’m looking forward to some $100 hamburgers or weekend trips with the family.

What destinations do you recommend within an hour or two of DFW (at roughly 110-120 knots)?

Now that we have access to club airplanes, I’m looking forward to some $100 hamburgers or weekend trips with the family.

What destinations do you recommend within an hour or two of DFW (at roughly 110-120 knots)?

Anywhere in the Hill Country (Burnet, Marble Falls, Llano, Giddings, San Marcos)
Austin.

(those are all a little more than a $100 hamburger, but still great destinations.)

Hard Eight in Stephenville used to be a pretty popular cross country destination.
You are within driving distance to 3 Hard Eight locations but the Stephenville location would be a great introduction to the $100 hamburger for your family. Super easy and quick, especially if you are flying out of an airport in the west or south portion of the metroplex. This is, of course, assuming nothing has changed in the decade plus since I last did it.

Hard Eight like everyone has said, but mainly because it’s on the closer side. In Llano theres Coopers and a free car, a bit further but BBQ paradise is Lockhart and they’ve got a car there as well. Flying out over Possum Kingdom Lake and checking out Hell’s Gate is cool. College Station has a nice field and lots of food if you don’t mind being around Aggies. Downtown Dallas night tour can be nice and cooler this time of year. I’ve made a lot of trips out of ADS and seems most end up being on the 3 hour round trip side.

Fly to Waco, buy some fuel and use a crew car to go to

I have an overnight there Monday night and am planning on hitting it Tuesday am.

I noticed that Redbird has a restaurant called Delta Charlie’s with what looks like a pretty good breakfast. How would it be flying from Denton to Redbird on a Sunday morning? VFR with flight following? Or just file IFR? How is transiting the Class B in a light aircraft?

If not there, then where for a quick flight to get breakfast with the family on a Sunday morning? Just want a nice quick, smooth flight to give them a taste of it and not scare them away.

I noticed that Redbird has a restaurant called Delta Charlie’s with what looks like a pretty good breakfast. How would it be flying from Denton to Redbird on a Sunday morning? VFR with flight following? Or just file IFR? How is transiting the Class B in a light aircraft?

If not there, then where for a quick flight to get breakfast with the family on a Sunday morning? Just want a nice quick, smooth flight to give them a taste of it and not scare them away.
It’s maybe a little longer than what you’re looking for, but an easy flight either VFR or IFR would be DTO-SLR for the red barn cafe. It used to be satisfactory 10+ years ago and the ratings still look ok.

Definitely flight following. From Addison they put you direct to Redbird over Love so I would imagine routing east of DFW would be easy. B transitions around DFW have always been easy in my opinion with the exception of any weather/traffic events in the area.

So what’s involved with VFR flight following through the bravo from DTO to RBD? How does that differ from just filing IFR? Any of you DFW area folks have any idea what routing I can expect?

All I know is F00 has cheap 100LL. I always stop there on my way back when I fly down into Dallas area and then head back to Indiana.

There is also a website fly2lunch.

Some of the reviews are dated but you can look up the restaurants to research them.

Zap,

KADM has a fantastic restaurant on the field. Rumor is that Rupert Murdoch's former personal chef runs it. Either way the food is delicious at Jake's. http://www.jakesjointrestaurant.com/

Hard Eight in Stephenville, but they've grown to the metroplex.

Dieter Brothers in Gainesville is good. The FBO at KGLE used to have a courtesy car.

Skyline Cafe at KTYR.

Not a $100 hamburger stop, but when I was putzing around in a 152 I flew into Falconhead (37K) after calling the owner. Small private strip that might be cool if you have kids.

How hard was the checkout at KDTO?

Checkout was stress free. So far we’ve flown to Sulphur Springs, Bridgeport, and Cedar Mills for food. Cedar Mills was the coolest by far!

2ca901ddc936ff3d5f5b2798fa009d20.jpg
b4a0f9f1160ae733f7562175152581db.jpg
13468e03bce7a42793cc505702a08b1d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back