Discriminatory Hiring Practices of Foreign Carriers

Dilla

I have read articles that have spoken of discriminatory hiring practices of some foreign carriers on the basis of age, race, and gender (against American pilots). Has this ever been proven? Have there been lawsuits brought against any of these carriers?

I have heard of some foreign carriers have not hired female pilots and have unofficially "filtered" minority applicants out of their hiring pools.

Has anyone found or suspected these allegations to be true?? Based on personal or known experiences. If so, what has been or can be done?

It's their country, their rules.

US Law doesn't apply...

Exactly....why do you think all the Asian airlines flight attendants are all young and pretty?? they get fired when they get old and/or fat.

I ran into a US based Asiana F/A on the employee bus this past weekend. I told her i had no idea there was such a thing, and she told me there are only like 4 of them. Then she goes onto to say, Asiana only hires pretty girls and wonders why they are so lazy. HAHAHA

There are pros to unequal employment especially for F/As. I just saw an AA crew go into their hotel van yesterday, combined age of about 285.

Sorry to interrupt your little party, but do you seriously think "young" is always better? Some of you really need to grow up and realize that older people have something to contribute to society AND the workforce. :whatever:

Sorry to interrupt your little party, but do you seriously think "young" is always better? Some of you really need to grow up and realize that older people have something to contribute to society AND the workforce. :whatever:

Lighten up Q. It was already mentioned that young and pretty equated to lazy. That doesn't seem "better" to me. :whatever:

Sorry Darren, but if memory serves me, some of the boys have commented numerous times on how older, less attractive FAs shouldn't be allowed to have their jobs. They'd much prefer a young, nubile stupid one as opposed to an older one who knows her job and is never a problem to them or the pax. Guess when you're a handsome stud who's graced the cover of many a magazine, you can afford to have that attitude. :rolleyes: After all, flying is a beauty contest, no?
And before anyone picks on me for making a blanket generalization, I don't think ALL older FAs are better than all younger ones. There are plenty of older ones who should be given the boot for stupidity and plenty of younger ones who are terrific. I'm just tired of the same played-out bashing of older FAs time after time and of males judging a female's qualifications by their looks/bodies. Jesus. :banghead:

Q,

Sometime go to where customs releases when Singapore, Malaysian, Korean, Emirates, Asiana, JAL, Vietnam, or anyother highly regarded carrier comes in. You might be surprised by what you encounter.

Although those countries have discriminatory practices, the flight attendants are the most professional to the public I have seen. While there are brightspots in the US, those individuals are not representative of the whole. I was standing in line behind a group of SIA flight attendants in LAX awaiting customs. Each one had perfect makeup, hair, and their uniforms had no wrinkles. How that happens I have no idea.

Onboard the flight attendants are extraordinarily courteous and service oriented. I know that the training overseas is far less forgiving for FAs than here in the states.

I know your personal situation quite well, but generalizing foreign flight attendants as young, nubile and stupid would be no less insulting to those flight attendants than the opposite words applied to you.

As this thread has gotten bent from pilots to a rant on age discrimination on flight attendants, the focus should remain from any aspect on the original poster's question of discrimination in foreign countries. The end of the day, it's their country, their rules.

I was not referring to the foreign FAs. I've seen them and they look fabulous and have heard enough about them to know they deliver superior customer service. I was referring to the pilot lament that unless a FA is young and has a great body, she should be cut loose by the airline, since she's worthless.
I absolutely agree that in a foreign country, one must abide by their rules. If you ask me, this country could take a lesson or two in their hiring practices. BUT, that's a different thread altogether. When I see some of the "talent" walking around EWR for CO mainline (both male and female), it makes me sick. Especially since I, apparently, wasn't good enough for them. If anyone of you guys frequent Terminals A or C in EWR, you know EXACTLY what I mean. Their standards are apparently a joke.

I was not referring to the foreign FAs. I've seen them and they look fabulous and have heard enough about them to know they deliver superior customer service. I was referring to the pilot lament that unless a FA is young and has a great body, she should be cut loose by the airline, since she's worthless.
I absolutely agree that in a foreign country, one must abide by their rules. If you ask me, this country could take a lesson or two in their hiring practices. BUT, that's a different thread altogether. When I see some of the "talent" walking around EWR for CO mainline (both male and female), it makes me sick. Especially since I, apparently, wasn't good enough for them. If anyone of you guys frequent Terminals A or C in EWR, you know EXACTLY what I mean. Their standards are apparently a joke.

Does the phrase "put 'em out to pasture" mean anything to you? It's time to go and eat grass......

;):sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::D

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Oh, you are playing with fire, CA. "Would you like something to drink?" hehehehe.

Q,

Sometime go to where customs releases when Singapore, Malaysian, Korean, Emirates, Asiana, JAL, Vietnam, or anyother highly regarded carrier comes in. You might be surprised by what you encounter.

Although those countries have discriminatory practices, the flight attendants are the most professional to the public I have seen. While there are brightspots in the US, those individuals are not representative of the whole. I was standing in line behind a group of SIA flight attendants in LAX awaiting customs. Each one had perfect makeup, hair, and their uniforms had no wrinkles. How that happens I have no idea.

Onboard the flight attendants are extraordinarily courteous and service oriented. I know that the training overseas is far less forgiving for FAs than here in the states.

I know your personal situation quite well, but generalizing foreign flight attendants as young, nubile and stupid would be no less insulting to those flight attendants than the opposite words applied to you.

As this thread has gotten bent from pilots to a rant on age discrimination on flight attendants, the focus should remain from any aspect on the original poster's question of discrimination in foreign countries. The end of the day, it's their country, their rules.

Polar742 was right on. I knew eventually someone would get offended. Young pretty FAs are nice, but I would rather have FAs that want to serve pax. I come from a customer service background, so i get so mad, when I see unprofessional Flight crews representing their airline. And i am talking about both Pilots and FAs!

If you took any US airline Crew and stood them next to an International airline crew, you can immediately see the difference.

I know an Asiana Flight attendant (korea based, not the one I mentioned in my previous post) She told me their training is 3 months. At my airline is 3 weeks. And during that 3 months, they even show them how to apply make up the correct way.

This discriminatory practice isnt isolated to Airlines alone. When i was vacationing in Korea last month I noticed how service oriented they were in the shops and restaurants as well. I assume its because they know they can get fired for any reason.

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Oh, you are playing with fire, CA. "Would you like something to drink?" hehehehe.

Makes me wonder if he saw "The Color Purple" when Sealy offered the dad of "Mister" a tall cool glass of water. ;)

As for Polar's quote,

I'd be inclined to agree. Why? Because a job such as what they have in those countries are the cream of the crop jobs, so the selection process will be more stringent and selective. And why do those individuals do what they do? Because the options/alternatives are significantly less appealing. Flying in a jet as an F/A or serving kimche on some side street in Seoul, Korea. People would kill to have a job like that. Culture, bias. . .call it what you will. It's not right, but that's the way it is.

Go there; be the victim, and the answer to your question will become rhetorical. :banghead:

Victim? You're a victim of a hit and run, of a burglary or similar crime. In a foreign country if you're not what the airline wants you just not hired. I don't see how that equates to being a victim. The job description is pretty, young, professional. Not qualified, not hired.
If I can't fly an approach in an interview I'm not hired. Am I a victim?

Back