Renew aopa or not to renew?

sefro

I am trying to decide whether to renew my aopa membership or not. What are your opinions on this?

Depends.

If you value their services, renew.

If not, don't.

Personally, I didn't. Not necessarily because I don't value their numerous services, but you can benefit from their legal and insurance services without paying $35 or whatever the hell it is a year.

It's only 35.00, not going to kill you. And they have some good resources on their website. Flight Training magazine is also a good resource. I think it's a very reasonable price.

If you fly professionally, it just may be worth buying the extra law dog program they have.

If you fly professionally, it just may be worth buying the extra law dog program they have.
I'll second that one. Especially having trained in and around the ADIZ for my private. I never had to use it, but it was nice to know I had some backing if I did.

Meigs Field is still closed.
Are you serious...?
There's only so much they could do.

It's obviously their fault it closed in the first place? Right?

There are many more still open thanks to AOPA...
Exactly.
More specifically, thanks to the AOPA ASN program.

...you can benefit from their legal and insurance services without paying $35 or whatever the hell it is a year.

You can also benefit from welfare by letting the rest of the taxpayers take care of you if you really wish. Okay, so that's a bit extreme, but come on...$35 (or $39, whatever it is) for helping support one of the strongest organizations for pilots plus all the stuff you get from them is a very good deal.

Oh, and the Meigs Field argument is a fallacy since the closure was not done with shall we say "normal procedures" or arguably legal ones anyway.

Are you an Airline pilot? Do you belong to ALPA, APA, SWAPA, or IPA? If yes to any of those then you don't need AOPA. One could argue that they work counter to your goals. If you are non-Union then I'd say renew.

Yeah, thats what I was going to say-ALPA, ATA and all the other airline associated alphabet soups are natural enemies of AOPA. To hear them tell it, GA is the reason JFK and the likes are so congested and the reason ATC is so over burdened.
I myself, being a GA enthusiast and a non-union guy strongly support AOPA and the great work they do around the country supporting small airports, education and community involvment.

If you fly GA, renew it yesterday.

If you don't give a crap, AND have another (union, etc) method of protection, don't.

If you fly GA and for an airline, have both.

AOPA is one of the few voices for GA left. Although I am not crazy about Pilot magazine (actually, I changed my membership to get Flight Training instead), I pay the price simply to do my part in keeping GA strong...or alive at least. I think its a worthy cost.

I let AOPA go. Single reason is they support the big academy ads like All ATP's and DCA via their magazine. I saw just one to many of those ATP ads and that was it for me. Totally personal and to each his own.

While this site also allows ATP ads, (I voted against allowing ads here, by the way) I think the upside outweights the downside. As far as AOPA is concerned, I can't say the same.

But to each his own....

I wasn't a big fan of Pilot Magazine, so I switched to Flight Training. In my opinion, it has far better information. That could just be the CFI in me talking.:bandit:

I'll add my another non-union GA voice, saying do it. I have been a member for almost 10 years now, never had to use the legal option, but I believe in what they do and will continue to be a member.

I would say that if you care about the aviation history of this country and the freedom we have to fly general aviation aircraft now, or in the future, then you must be a supporter of AOPA. Being an airline pilot makes zero difference. The airline trade groups can fight for what they want, but most of the pilots of those aircraft come from a general aviation background.

To become a pilot in the USA is relatively easy compared to many other countries. Some places, like Taiwan, still have an outright ban on general aviation of any kind. Many countries place very high costs and numerous restrictions on general aviation. If it wasn't for general aviation I don't know that I would have been able to start on the career of my choice.

I would hate to see the USA go down that road and that is exactly what the airline trade groups would like to see. Just because I am an airline pilot doesn't mean that I should turn my back on my roots. Not me, that would be like turning your back on your parents after they raised you.

AOPA has a strong voice in Washington to help keep general aviation thriving in the USA. Are they perfect?, no, but they help to preserve the freedoms that the U.S. enjoys in regards to flying and to those starting on the path to an airline or corporate career.

If you really can't stomach AOPA then at least join the EAA as they too fight to protect the interest of general aviation in America.

Typhoonpilot

AOPA is one of the few voices for GA left. Although I am not crazy about Pilot magazine (actually, I changed my membership to get Flight Training instead), I pay the price simply to do my part in keeping GA strong...or alive at least. I think its a worthy cost.

I'm 100% with Zero, and also switched to Flight Training. I've been a member since the day I obtained my PPL. I haven't flown for almost 4 years, but kept my membership. I had some minor issues renewing my medical, and although everything turned out o.k. they were there in case I needed. Peace of mind I guess, not to mention the great resources on their website.
My 2 cents...

Back