Republic to Operate 12 Embraer E170 Jets for Midwest!

I think it is horrific news all around.

I have heard many of your coworkers have hard ons to bring down CALs scope clause with the jet flying. Now you guys are crying? Give me a freaking break.

Dude not every single pilot at RAH is a prick that wants more jet flying and only more jet flying and could give a rip what happens to other pilots. (although a damn good sized portion of our folks unfortunately have this attitude). I just wanted to throw up something saying a lot of us aren't in support of the new codeshare either. And in the big picture of things, our scope is only a small part of it. I'd really hate to see a great group of pilots go on the street because their mainline flying is outsourced. I sure hope the entire industry doesn't head the direction of "ghost airlines" like that, but unfortunately that seems to be the way things are going... :confused:

I think it is horrific news all around.

I have heard many of your coworkers have hard ons to bring down CALs scope clause with the jet flying. Now you guys are crying? Give me a freaking break.

You know what Seggy, screw you! The lump with which you put us all is fricking immature and idiotic. Who the hell is crying? It's our freaking managements job to put the airplanes to work. There's zero chance it's going to happen with CAL, and good for the CAL pilots for not considering it and protecting their pilots. And BTW, this story isn't about CAL, so try to stick to the subject! I just found out about this as I've been flying all day, so I'll give my thoughts later on, but from glancing at it, I'm not really happy about it. It may bring back some of our furloughees temporarily, but it also keeps their pilots out of a job for now. Damn Seggy, you give me a freaking break!

Re: Republic picks up Midwest flying

I believe I was saying something in another thread about regionals needing to disappear. I believe I said something in regards to other low baller regional stepping in and stealing flying. I caught a lot of flack for that. HMMMM

I feel horrible for the Midwest guys who will be on the street over this.

After reading into this on our company forums...it appears that over half of posts on there are not happy with this, both in regards to our pilots and mainly with what this could mean for the Midwest guys...

Gotta go...Palin is on stage and she is smoooooking hot tonight.

I don't think you're fully comprehending what's going on here. The proposed lease to MEH is contingent upon the MEH pilots signing a new contract before the end of the 18 month term. In other words, the RAH outsourcing is being used as a hammer to force the MEH pilots into taking a concessionary deal within 18 months in order to get those planes. If they don't take the deal, then they lose the flying for good and RAH keeps flying feed. This is nothing but a massive whipsaw.

Todd, you hit the nail exactly on the head my friend. Our message board is going nuts right now.

Honestly, I feel ashamed that this is what is taking place. This won't keep any more of us off the street, but there are so many things wrong with this deal that its sickening.

First of all, we Republic pilots need to protect our own scope. I don't care what Meyers says, this pilot group fought tooth and nail to get the scope in our contract to prevent this very sort of thing from happening. Our group needs to stand strong and not let our aircraft get #####d out. If we let the company get away with leasing our own airplanes, then things will get out of hand here. As employees of RAH, we need to protect our own interests first and foremost.

Secondly, we need to make a stand and refuse to fly these airplanes in the interim. Its obvious this is a huge whipsaw and the general chatter among the group is that we don't want our own contract violated, but we don't want to hurt the Midwest pilots.

I agree, this is down right ugly and its wrong. This is proof that airline CEO's are ruthless, even if they pray to God everyday. Just know that the RAH pilots don't want this deal..this is not good for anyone. But just to make it clear, Bedfords job is to make money for the shareholders. The blame for this deal should fall largely on the shoulders of Midwest management. Bedford is just looking at the short term financial benefits. 15 airplanes parked in PIT cost 2.5mil each every month, Bedford is trying to solve that problem.

First of all, we Republic pilots need to protect our own scope. I don't care what Meyers says, this pilot group fought tooth and nail to get the scope in our contract to prevent this very sort of thing from happening. Our group needs to stand strong and not let our aircraft get #####d out. If we let the company get away with leasing our own airplanes, then things will get out of hand here. As employees of RAH, we need to protect our own interests first and foremost.
Well glad you got most of your information right. And its about time you all took a stand. However all I said was that this is more about Midwest and getting what is right done over there. If BB thinks that he needs to find a place to sell those E170s to later because they are causing you all to lose money then that's great for the company. You will not lose money by having them parked. I dont see why you are throwing a fit over them possibly leasing them out and or selling them when in the end it saves your company from losing money.

However this isnt about RAH scope. This is about Midwest pilots being ####ed over yet again. First by their mgt trying to get them to take about a 50% pay cut. Then them saying they are going to return some of the 717 to the leasers to now only having 12 of their own aircraft while RAH has 12 alone flying in their colors. Seems wrong to me in the end when there are more express carriers or connect then mainline birds themselves.

In the end its great you are all pissed off over this. Its not good for your pilot group and its not good for those Midwest guys. They are some of the guys any of you will ever meet!

Secondly, we need to make a stand and refuse to fly these airplanes in the interim.

I admire your militancy, buddy, but don't go overboard. :) Unfortunately, there's nothing you can do to keep from having to fly these airplanes. The best you can do is just communicate to your MEH brothers that you aren't any more happy about this than they are.

Well glad you got most of your information right. And its about time you all took a stand. However all I said was that this is more about Midwest and getting what is right done over there. If BB thinks that he needs to find a place to sell those E170s to later because they are causing you all to lose money then that's great for the company. You will not lose money by having them parked. I dont see why you are throwing a fit over them possibly leasing them out and or selling them when in the end it saves your company from losing money.

However this isnt about RAH scope. This is about Midwest pilots being ####ed over yet again. First by their mgt trying to get them to take about a 50% pay cut. Then them saying they are going to return some of the 717 to the leasers to now only having 12 of their own aircraft while RAH has 12 alone flying in their colors. Seems wrong to me in the end when there are more express carriers or connect then mainline birds themselves.

In the end its great you are all pissed off over this. Its not good for your pilot group and its not good for those Midwest guys.

This has everything to do with RAH scope, after all, I'm an RAH pilot. If our scope clause is followed, than this deal more than likely doesn't go through. While on one hand its nice to think that these airplanes can stop losing us money, on the other it would be at the great cost of a very important clause that states something to the effect of "All Republic Airways aircraft, leased or owned, must be flown by Republic Airways pilots".

Now, Bedford might be banking on the Midwest pilots not caving in and Republic ends up staffing the airplanes with our pilots. This would probably just end up crushing Midwest and RAH just might have another certificate. Who knows. There are too many variables here. We can speculate all day long about whats going to happen. The bottom line is that our airplanes, and unfortunately, our pilots, are going to be used as a whipsaw against Midwest pilots. But Midwest came to Bedford, flashing a bunch of cash at a time when our company is spilling green in PIT.

I feel sorry for the Midwest pilots, but the Republic pilots are also getting screwed in this. Its a giant turd sandwich and everyone gets a bite. But I'm still furloughed...so, I'm going fishing tomorrow.

. But I'm still furloughed...so, I'm going fishing tomorrow.

This is what I've been doing for a while! Amen Brother!

ps... just logged into your republic forum. Glad to see some of the smart guys jumped in and informed those who didnt seem to understand why this was a bad thing, as to why it is! Very glad to see those who are active on your forum being pissed about this!

I admire your militancy, buddy, but don't go overboard. :) Unfortunately, there's nothing you can do to keep from having to fly these airplanes. The best you can do is just communicate to your MEH brothers that you aren't any more happy about this than they are.

Well apparently RAH management never mentioned a word about this deal to our Union, which is also in violation of our CBA. They can't be negotiating deals AND furloughing pilots. Word is the IBT can't be found anywhere because they're trying to get their apples together to go make a pie. Just kidding.

Hopefully our Union will do something about this, as there are clear violations to our CBA. If they stand strong, they just might get people to appreciate them again. I'm just a military brat and I love to fight, but I won't tolerate any poo-slinging from Midwest pilots. Pilots have no control over this crap unless we get legal authority to strike. Aaaaiiiiinnnn''''tttt gonna happen in this industry state! :)

Secondly, we need to make a stand and refuse to fly these airplanes in the interim. Its obvious this is a huge whipsaw and the general chatter among the group is that we don't want our own contract violated, but we don't want to hurt the Midwest pilots.

quote]

You're my boy Dave...but...um...how do you propose we do this?? I NEED this job bro...

Now, Bedford might be banking on the Midwest pilots not caving in and Republic ends up staffing the airplanes with our pilots

Bingo! In fact, it's not just BB counting on this, it's Tim H. at Midwest. He'll demand a deal that is so draconian that he knows they'll never take it. The goal is to get the flying outsourced permanently, so he's not too concerned about the problems with your scope language. It will never be a factor, because the goal is to destroy MEH ALPA and outsource the flying.

This has everything to do with RAH scope, after all, I'm an RAH pilot. If our scope clause is followed, than this deal more than likely doesn't go through. While on one hand its nice to think that these airplanes can stop losing us money, on the other it would be at the great cost of a very important clause that states something to the effect of "All Republic Airways aircraft, leased or owned, must be flown by Republic Airways pilots".

Now, Bedford might be banking on the Midwest pilots not caving in and Republic ends up staffing the airplanes with our pilots. This would probably just end up crushing Midwest and RAH just might have another certificate. Who knows. There are too many variables here. We can speculate all day long about whats going to happen. The bottom line is that our airplanes, and unfortunately, our pilots, are going to be used as a whipsaw against Midwest pilots. But Midwest came to Bedford, flashing a bunch of cash at a time when our company is spilling green in PIT.

I feel sorry for the Midwest pilots, but the Republic pilots are also getting screwed in this. Its a giant turd sandwich and everyone gets a bite. But I'm still furloughed...so, I'm going fishing tomorrow.

Yeah man, I can already smell the turd sandwich frying on the grill... Hope you have a great time fishing, we all need to use our time furloughed to do whatever it is that makes us happy other than arguing on message boards haha. ;)

Hope you have a great time fishing, we all need to use our time furloughed to do whatever it is that makes us happy other than arguing on message boards haha. ;)
But then we cannot argue that my ###### regional is better then your ###### regional!

I like Dave am heading to the lake! Time to sit back and relax and enjoy the travel bennies while I have them!

Well apparently RAH management never mentioned a word about this deal to our Union, which is also in violation of our CBA. They can't be negotiating deals AND furloughing pilots. Word is the IBT can't be found anywhere because they're trying to get their apples together to go make a pie. Just kidding.

Hopefully our Union will do something about this, as there are clear violations to our CBA. If they stand strong, they just might get people to appreciate them again. I'm just a military brat and I love to fight, but I won't tolerate any poo-slinging from Midwest pilots. Pilots have no control over this crap unless we get legal authority to strike. Aaaaiiiiinnnn''''tttt gonna happen in this industry state! :)

Technically Dave, our scope regarding our planes hasn't been violated yet. If it did happen it would be bitter sweet...their pilots fly, but ours get furloughed.

(Though I think we've got one more code share in the works)

Very glad to see those who are active on your forum being pissed about this!

I don't understand why RAH pilots get such a bad rap. Honestly, I don't see why it is warranted. Every guy I have flown with at this company, every pilot I have met at this company, are really great people. This "chest pounding" stuff people speak of is not something I've seen since I've been here. I would say mostly, probably the majority of the pilot group, are just like any other pilot group. There's a few tools running around giving a bad impression of the place, but just about everyone is on the same page when it comes to issues critical to the industry. There are a lot of guys pissed about this deal...a LOT.

Back