AA 737 Preparing for Emergency Landing at LAX

"left inboard main tire" is flat lol. Love the reporting and how I just watched a non-related AA flight just land to remind me what an airplane looks like landing.

SPECTACULAR!111

And they're being paid 75k and 92k respectively!!11 :whatever:

If it didn't end up in a huge fireball, the media was let down.

why did they dump fuel over the channel islands? I am assuming it was dumped there given the mutiple circles performed over the islands. Doesnt all the fuel that cause environmental harm? Why not dump over the ocean? Just a newbie asking questions...so sorry if the answer is obvious to y'all.

What about the 'environment' when a jet comes smashing into the side of mountain or goes down on a congested city?

Safety always supercedes every rule/law/regulation/etc.

I could be wrong but I don't think they can dump fuel on a 737. I think they just have to fly around till they burn it off.

I could be wrong but I don't think they can dump fuel on a 737. I think they just have to fly around till they burn it off.

That's right. All they could do is fly around and burn off enough fuel to reach the maximum landing weight, or close to it without exceeding it.

What about the 'environment' when a jet comes smashing into the side of mountain or goes down on a congested city?

Safety always supercedes every rule/law/regulation/etc.

:sarcasm: well, just to be totally machiavellian: the "footprint" of environmental damage from a crash is far lower than that produced by spreading jet fuel over many square miles....
(ducks to avoid being hit by inevitable flaming responses)

In all seriousness, for the sake of argument, if the fuel needs to be dumped, why not dump over the ocean instead of an island?

SXC is a pretty traffic sparse area, which is most likely why they held over that VOR as opposed to SMO, or SLI.

Good old Fox news was saying that it was a blown tire near the landing gear. I couldn't help but laugh. And it wasn't just one person saying it, but three. Made it even better.

Just to split hairs, that's Catalina Island.
The Channel Islands are off the coast of Ventura, a little bit north of LA.

oh goodness.... ROFL...

the tire near the landing gear right!? whew! i thought it was something serious....

Wait, it's made of metal isnt it? I don't see any feathers on the engine? how's that work?

Back