Safelog

HOTDOG

Anyone here use Safelog from Dauntless?

I know there are a million different threads about electronic logbooks, but I didn't see anything specifiic to this brand.

Wondering if its worth the 70 or so bucks.

I do. I like it and recommend it. Probably no better or worse than the other ones I imagine.

Thanks Ian....have you had to renew your 3 year license yet? If so, how much did it cost?

Thanks again for the feedback.

Thanks again for the help, Ian...I think I'm going with Safelog...I liked the trial, it seemed more intuitive to me than some of the others.

No problem - lots of people use logbook pro which is probably good as well. Sounds like you did the smart thing and downloaded trials. Looks like safelog also has a PDA version, web version, and off site storage like many of the others out there.

I did...downloaded trials for logbook pro and safelog. I also looked at Logshare.

Safelog seems the one for me.

I did...downloaded trials for logbook pro and safelog. I also looked at Logshare.

Safelog seems the one for me.
have you tried onlinelogbook.net yet? its a lot like logshare, but a little more modern.

And I've never been able to wrap my brain around why people would pay for something when you can get the exact same thing for free somewhere else. I used logshare for about 2 years and it served every single purpose I could ever imagine a logbook software suite could do. I understand if maybe these pay software suites costs only like 5 bucks a year, but why pay $70 per year? Could someone who uses Logbook Pro, or LogSafe or whatever, what exact features they have that make them worth almost a hundred bucks more than the others? I admit I've never used a pay logbook. Could someone fill me in?

nbv4, I can't speak to why others use a pay electronic logbook, but for me there are several reasons.

1) I am of the belief that you usually get what you pay for. I believe that paying $70 for a 3 year license to use Safelog is not that expensive and it gives me a sense of security and more importantly, a guarantee of accuracy and security that others do not. My logbook has important data that I wouldn't trust to just anyone. Again, this is just my personal belief, and others may see things differently.

2) I like the idea of having my records on a database on my own computer vs. storing them on some server out in cyberspace. This is my personal flight data and I want to control how I keep it, where I keep it and how I back it up.

3) I personally like the intuitive UI better than some of the others I looked at. Additionally there are a lot of features I like that this one has that others do not. Again this is a personal preference and everyone has their own personal preferences.

These are some of the reasons why I choose to use a pay logbook. Again, these are my own personal beliefs and I'm sure other people have their own as you do.

Hope this helps.

nbv4, I can't speak to why others use a pay electronic logbook, but for me there are several reasons.

1) I am of the belief that you usually get what you pay for. I believe that paying $70 for a 3 year license to use Safelog is not that expensive and it gives me a sense of security and more importantly, a guarantee of accuracy and security that others do not. My logbook has important data that I wouldn't trust to just anyone. Again, this is just my personal belief, and others may see things differently.

So when faced with a choice between something free and something that cost money, you'll immediately go with the one that costs money because "if it costs money it must be better"? Very interesting...

Remember, some of the best sites on the internet are free; Google, YouTube, Facebook, Myspace, etc.

So when faced with a choice between something free and something that cost money, you'll immediately go with the one that costs money because "if it costs money it must be better"? Very interesting...

Remember, some of the best sites on the internet are free; Google, YouTube, Facebook, Myspace, etc.

You missed the entire point.

You asked why people pay for log books and I gave you reasons on why I personally do.

Immediately go for something that costs more?...not sure where you read that chief.

If you go back and actually read what I posted, you'll see that I said you "usually" get what you pay for. This has been my experience in my 37 years and I'll leave it at that...no sense in arguing just for the sake of arguing.

I also said I have tried some of the others, including the free ones like logshare, before deciding on Safelog.

At the end of the day, I just wrote this thread to ask some veteran pilots about Safelog before I buy it and got some valuable insight from respected posters like Ian and MFT. That's really all I was looking for.

But good luck to you guy...I have no hard feelings about you doing things your way if that works for you.

Update: Thanks for the info on Safelog...I've purchased it and have most of my log entered in already....The UI is great and adding data like airplanes and airports are a cinch!

For you Safelog users, what have you found is the best way to print it out? I've been trying to print it only the relevant columns on one sheet, but then comments column get pushed off to another sheet. I've been toying around with it and haven't found anything to my liking. I just would like it to look presentable if and when I interview somewhere.

Choose the Jepp-style report and print that. The print out is an exact duplicate of a jepp-style logbook.

Calling these great sites is a bit of a stretch. They are more like a hangout for my 14 and 15 year old cousins and all 5,000 of their friends.

Back