Safelog

I've used Safelog for like 2 years now. LOVE IT! I wouldn't use any other (and yes i've tried Logbook Pro). The interface is way more user friendly and they are about to introduce the feature of importing airline schedules. I have it for PC, PDA and now Blackberry and Safelog Web. I recently applied to a overseas airline and the LOVED the fact that they could access my logbook online and see my times. I seriously recommend them.

OK here is the problem I see with Dauntless, LogTen, and the free online logbook Programs. Ok you entered your data but now what can you do with it? Most of the programs have limited reporting and analysis functions. And none of them have the binding or paper options that Logbook Pro has available to its users.

<O:p</O:p

You need to think long term when choosing a logbook program and ask yourself some simple questions.<O:p</O:p

Does it accept the data I need it to?
  1. How customizable is it?<O:p</O:p
  2. What are my output options for printing?<O:p</O:p
  3. What are the analysis functions<O:p</O:p
  4. Do they charge recurring fees?<O:p</O:p
  5. Do I own my data and is it safe <O:p</O:p
    • (e.g. do I still have my data if they go out of business)?<O:p</O:p
  6. How will this help me with filling out apps and getting ready for an interview?<O:p</O:p
I have personally used Logbook Pro since the beginning. It has been around for over ten years and was written by pilots for pilots and is supported by pilots. Logbook Pro has never charged a recurring license fee just to use the program after x years. That would be insane in my opinion. I don't do it with Microsoft nor would I do it with any other program. If the company folded tomorrow you could theoretically keep using Logbook Pro indefinitely. This is not true with some of the other logbook programs. If they go so does your data.<O:p</O:p

Now when it comes to filling out apps Logbook Pro allows you to total your times in almost any way imaginable with its filters and powerful analyzers. Then when you get ready to print, you have numerous reports to choose from in addition to the traditional Jepp format. Logbook Pro also has professional grade leather binders and paper available too. This gives you that knock out presentation when that multi-million dollar career job is at your doorstep.<O:p</O:p

Feel free to PM me with questions.

That's a heck of a lot of weird smiley guys... you own stock in logbook pro or something?

If the company folded tomorrow you could theoretically keep using Logbook Pro indefinitely. This is not true with some of the other logbook programs. If they go so does your data.

I'll disagree with you on this point. If safelog goes, you can always export your data.

Does it accept the data I need it to?
  1. How customizable is it?<o>:p</o>:p
  2. What are my output options for printing?<o>:p</o>:p
  3. What are the analysis functions<o>:p</o>:p
  4. Do they charge recurring fees?<o>:p</o>:p
  5. Do I own my data and is it safe <o>:p</o>:p
    • (e.g. do I still have my data if they go out of business)?<o>:p</o>:p
  6. How will this help me with filling out apps and getting ready for an interview?<o>:p</o>:p
I have personally used Logbook Pro since the beginning. It has been around for over ten years and was written by pilots for pilots and is supported by pilots. Logbook Pro has never charged a recurring license fee just to use the program after x years. That would be insane in my opinion. I don't do it with Microsoft nor would I do it with any other program. If the company folded tomorrow you could theoretically keep using Logbook Pro indefinitely. This is not true with some of the other logbook programs. If they go so does your data.<o>:p</o>:p

<o>:p</o>:p

Now when it comes to filling out apps Logbook Pro allows you to total your times in almost any way imaginable with its filters and powerful analyzers. Then when you get ready to print, you have numerous reports to choose from in addition to the traditional Jepp format. Logbook Pro also has professional grade leather binders and paper available too. This gives you that knock out presentation when that multi-million dollar career job is at your doorstep.<o>:p</o>:p
<o>:p</o>:p

Feel free to PM me with questions.

1. Safelog is just as customizable as any of the others.
2. Safelog has what I need: Their style and Jepp style. Why would you need more than this? I will use the Jepp if I need to print it.
3. Safelog has great analysis functions, better than LBP, IMO. They have a 135 mins analyzer that calculates your point to point landings as cross country, they have ATP requirement analyzer, currency, etc...
4. Yes, this is a drawback, but I decided it was worth it.
5. Yes, you can export it at anytime in standard formats.
6. It will work just fine. It instantly tells me what I need.

I looked at both LBP and Safelog and used them both for a while. I found Safelog was easier to input the data, and I liked the flow of it better. The only downside I have found are the recurring fees, which I don't like, but I knew it going into it.

Almost all of them do what we need. The only difference is the interface.

I'm not sure about the others but Logbook Pro can also output your data in PDF format which makes it very easy to take to Kinko's and have printed (which is what I did). It even gives you an option to insert a blank page at the beginning in order to make the pages match up correctly depending on your layout - I liked that feature a lot. That, coupled with the analytical functions, customizable reports and no charge for software updates so far sold me on Logbook Pro.

Incorrect, your data resides on your home pc and not some database on a web server somewhere.

Yes, your Safelog file can be kept on your computer. However, check the Dauntless FAQ site. They say you can only export if your license has not expired. If your license does expire the program reverts to the LOCKED state.

Yes, your Safelog file can be kept on your computer. However, check the Dauntless FAQ site. They say you can only export if your license has not expired. If your license does expire the program reverts to the LOCKED state.

Your Safelog software gets locked...not your database.

Is a Safelog like a DuraFlame or something? ;)

No not a duraFlame and yes I am am affiliate. I also have been using the program for several years before becoming an affiliate. I also used some other logbook programs that are no longer around. You guys/gals are free to buy from whomever you wish.

Doug, sorry if I ticked you off. I just wanted the correct info out there about any programs in general and yes I got a little too focused on Logbook Pro vs Safelog. My bad.

I do believe in Logbook Pro and the quality of the product the same way I feel BOEING is better than Airbus. But i guess we will have to save that discussion for another thread. :laff:

I'm a little upset that I can't export my data to another program after my license has expired. I bought the program before they were enforcing the renewal policy. Safelog may claim that it has always been known that they may move to a limited license, but it was just not really a well known condition upon purchase for most older users.

I'm really not feeling like $30/year or $70 for 5 years or whatever is really what I want to do. I really like Safelog, but I'd like to try something else. However, now I feel locked into a buying a renewal because I can't export my data and obviously I don't want to re-enter 7 years of data from scratch.

EDIT: I submitted my opinion with the company about my concern regarding their renewal process for older users and how it REALLY wasn't all that clear 3 or 4 years ago that they would be moving to a subscription based service. It's really amazing how arrogant they are towards this policy. When I originally paid money to use this program, they were not making clear that in three years I would have to pay more money to keep logging entries or totally have to re-enter my data somewhere else.

The choice is pretty easy for me, especially after receiving the amazingly arrogant response this morning, to spend the time putting the data into another program. I hate to do it, and I really did like Safelog, but this crap is ridiculous. I never thought that Dauntless was like this and have referred their software many times, but never again!

Back