Prices are going up

Kristie

Mama Bear....
Staff member
Just heard that Delta's 2nd luggage bag charge is going up from $25 to $50 starting, i think, in september.

it pertains to anything larger as well...surf boards, golf bags etc.

This is why Southwest will prosper.

Just this last quarter, we had a corporate directive to take Southwest whenever possible. Delta used to be our pick.

Just heard that Delta's 2nd luggage bag charge is going up from $25 to $50 starting, i think, in september.

it pertains to anything larger as well...surf boards, golf bags etc.

It just amazes me that companies do this. I put this in the same category as "fuel surcharges" at flight schools. Just increase the price of the product/service instead of adding fees.

Michael

why would anyone want to fly on an airline where there is a very good chance they'll be stuck on an uncomfortable RJ, and an even better chance they'll hear the words “flight 1234 is currently in an oversold situation, we are seeking volunteers with flexible travel plans who would like to take another, equally oversold, flight in the morning”.

why would anyone want to fly on an airline where there is a very good chance they'll be stuck on an uncomfortable RJ, and an even better chance they'll hear the words “flight 1234 is currently in an oversold situation, we are seeking volunteers with flexible travel plans who would like to take another, equally oversold, flight in the morning”.

737's arent very comfy either.... last three or four times I road on them.... I rather be on an CRJ7 anyday.

UAL was the southwest 20 years ago.... where's UAL now? :) things will change....

In what way? Southwest has been a different kind of airline from the start....

meritflyer said:
Just this last quarter, we had a corporate directive to take Southwest whenever possible. Delta used to be our pick.

Southwest has a better frequent flyer program anyway.

It just amazes me that companies do this. I put this in the same category as "fuel surcharges" at flight schools. Just increase the price of the product/service instead of adding fees.

Michael

Why punish the ones who don't pack as if they're going on an arctic excursion?

Michael

It makes sense to me. By charging a fee for extra baggage, you're only charging those who need or want the extra bags. It allows the business to keep their advertised prices low for the other customers. If someone is willing to pay the fee, the airline benefits from the extra money. If it causes someone to pack lighter, the airline benefits in reduced fuel costs. Unless there is an industry wide agreement to raise prices, I see no reason for an airline to do what you just described. It would just let their competitors to undercut them. Same thing with fuel surcharges, you can keep the base price lower, still cover your fuel expenses, and allow some flexibility as fuel prices change.

Oh UAL was making bank, pilots were making 300k, the future looked rosey..... Things change fast..... Mark my word, SWA will face its share of trouble in the future.....

Michael

Because people are stupid. They take the lowest ticket price, then complain about the fees. Next time they travel, they take the lowest ticket price, then complain about the fees. Rinse, repeat.

737's arent very comfy either.... last three or four times I road on them.... I rather be on an CRJ7 anyday.

While I agree that 737's aren't comfy, the CR7 statement makes me wonder if you remember you get drug tested at random. :D

All I can say for bag fees. Thank god for a corporate credit card.

"Mr. Polar, we see you're Star Alliance Gold....there's no checked fees on these bags"

"Naw, it's fine. Put it on the card. It comes out of some VP's bonus...":bandit:

Are you crazy? I love commuting on SWA, they have the best leg room of any major (other than first class). I'll take a 737 over an RJ any day of the week, any seat. I had to fly Expressjet from YYZ to IAH, pure misery. It should be illegal to fly an RJ more than 2 hours.

Are you crazy? I love commuting on SWA, they have the best leg room of any major (other than first class). I'll take a 737 over an RJ any day of the week, any seat. I had to fly Expressjet from YYZ to IAH, pure misery. It should be illegal to fly an RJ more than 2 hours.

Maybe he was flying in a 737-100?? :banghead:

To be honest, i don't think it's fair to generalize all 737s as just 737.

I've been on some 737s that were pure hell, and then some of SunWing's new NG-800s that were actually pretty comfy...

Are you crazy??!! Dont you know that EVERY seat on a CRJ or ERJ is first class?!!?:sarcasm:

I dont know what kind of 737's I've been on. Heck even SWA's to be honest. But mostly airways. Regardless I'll take an E190, CRJ700/900 over the 737 any day of the week. To each their own though.

I would disagree. IMHO Delta has an awesome FF program and I'm almost always I'm upgraded to First class. Once you move in front of the curtain, you never want to move back. If you are flying like I used almost every other weekend from TPA to SEA, the last place you want to be is in coach in either an RJ/737/757.

You fly enough and you don't have to pay the fee for bags.

I checked a bag today. Know what I paid?

Nothing.

This is how you reward your better customers. You give them breaks.

United is pretty good about it.

What's not good about United is that all the good things the people who are here do is ruined by the ######bags in India who claim to be "Mike Brown" and "Christina" but who don't know what the hell they're talking about.

I'm sitting here in SFO instead of being in ANC. Here's frustration for you -- watching the flight to ANC that you're supposed to be on pass right in front of you when you're on final.

The captain, when we had a ground stop, allowed people to go up to the cockpit and peek at the equipment. The flight attendants walked through the cabin offering free snacks. The gate agent brought out some blankets for those who were cold. And the person working the customer service desk in SFO couldn't have been better.

Why am I pissed, though?

Because the ######bags in India tried to blame ME for my flight being four hours late.

I'm writing a letter to Tilton when I get home. I'm naming names, for both the good and the bad.

Back