Prices are going up

This is why Southwest will prosper.

Just this last quarter, we had a corporate directive to take Southwest whenever possible. Delta used to be our pick.

They might prosper in some areas but what many people that live in a SWA city forget is that SWA really doesn't go THAT many places. I live in the northeast and travel to a lot of smaller cities in the southeast, SWA is virtually worthless to me. That's not a knock on them but I'm just trying to make a point that they are a niche airline.

NYC nope, sorry ISP doesn't really count
ATL nope
CLT nope
MEM nope
GSO nope
anywhere in SC nope

Are you crazy? I love commuting on SWA, they have the best leg room of any major (other than first class). I'll take a 737 over an RJ any day of the week, any seat. I had to fly Expressjet from YYZ to IAH, pure misery. It should be illegal to fly an RJ more than 2 hours.

I'm not necessarily going to disagree with you but to say that the middle seat of a CAL 737-300 is the most miserable seat in the CAL system. Give me ANY seat on an ERJ over the middle seat of a CAL 737-300. 767-200...there's a comfy seat. Best in the system IMHO...777 and 75's included.

You fly enough and you don't have to pay the fee for bags.

I checked a bag today. Know what I paid?

Nothing.

This is how you reward your better customers. You give them breaks.

United is pretty good about it.

What's not good about United is that all the good things the people who are here do is ruined by the ######bags in India who claim to be "Mike Brown" and "Christina" but who don't know what the hell they're talking about.

I'm sitting here in SFO instead of being in ANC. Here's frustration for you -- watching the flight to ANC that you're supposed to be on pass right in front of you when you're on final.

The captain, when we had a ground stop, allowed people to go up to the cockpit and peek at the equipment. The flight attendants walked through the cabin offering free snacks. The gate agent brought out some blankets for those who were cold. And the person working the customer service desk in SFO couldn't have been better.

Why am I pissed, though?

Because the ######bags in India tried to blame ME for my flight being four hours late.

I'm writing a letter to Tilton when I get home. I'm naming names, for both the good and the bad.

Tilton doesn't care. He just wants his golden parachute at the expense of all his employees.

All I'm concerned about is getting to my location. No complaints about confy seats from me; I don't have a fat bookla and I pack very lightly. Maybe we can stack better hung upside down like that exercise machine on TV. Then we can shed pounds, save next times ticket cost by loosing weight, and stretch out all at the same time. I don't have to add this :sarcasm: do I?

parachute at the expense of all his employees.

...and maybe we can save cost by the passengers parachute out over cities. Yeah, like a bus ride. It would solve the RJ problems. :crazy: I'm willing to jump for a non stop flight :D.

They might prosper in some areas but what many people that live in a SWA city forget is that SWA really doesn't go THAT many places. I live in the northeast and travel to a lot of smaller cities in the southeast, SWA is virtually worthless to me. That's not a knock on them but I'm just trying to make a point that they are a niche airline.

ATL nope
CLT nope
MEM nope
GSO nope
anywhere in SC nope
exactly, if you are traveling in the SW to South Central US, it is usually a good way to go, but eastern seabord or coast to coast, not the most fun way to travel.

In regards to an airline increasing another fee: Do I REALLY have to say it again?

---

I suppose if this is the only way the suits know how to make money we are in some horrible shape. . .then again. . .this industry has been in horrible shape ever since De-Regulation.

Game on.

Tilton doesn't care. He just wants his golden parachute at the expense of all his employees.

UAL Corporation (United Airlines) - Glenn Tilton, CEO and President: $10,314,769

I'd say he certainly has it.

(Total Compensation figures courtesy of Businessweek.com)

Call me crazy but honestly I don't think the airlines are doing such a bad job right now what with gas prices and all. Maybe reducing capacity, while bad for us, will allow them to focus more on getting people to their destination on time.

I agree. . .Capacity MUST be reduced. I'll take the short to medium headache and heartburn associated with seeing some of us put on the street to perhaps hopefully see our management teams wise up and begin to charge more for the demand and lack of supply (seats available).

Then again - that's a rational decision - that most of these graduates of Wharton's School of Business very well might lack.

The previous history is when airline A cuts capacity, airlines B, C, and D rush in to fill it. This "fuel crisis" has amounted to almost a barrier to entry of sorts in an industry with traditionally none.

Pretty much every airline, save SWA, is in survival mode which means pretty much everyone is cutting capacity, and no new entrants are taking up the slack.

So the bag charge is supposed to generate revenue to cover costs for fuel? We'll what if everyone stopped bringing a second bag? Then there would be no money generated to pay for fuel costs…there seems to be a flaw in this logic. If it's about weight then I don't think that will work either - people will just cram two bags worth of junk into one bag.

We all know that fuel is getting expensive so the airlines need raise ticket prices to cover costs to include the required profit margin. It is what it is…but now I'm feeling like I'm being nickel and dimed - might as well fly a no frills at this point at least I know what to expect.

This is why Southwest will prosper.

Just this last quarter, we had a corporate directive to take Southwest whenever possible. Delta used to be our pick.

I just got the email from them at 2:30 this morning that I made A-List status.

So now I can go back to non-business-select fares and still be first-ten for boarding. :rawk:

ATL nope
CLT nope
MEM nope
GSO nope
anywhere in SC nope

Yupp! Never ever seen them in these parts! Down in phila, yes, but then again I live 45mins from NYC! Actually 15mins if you count Staten Island!;)

Back