Cedar Key Florida (KCDK)

Sidious

Last Saturday I took my girlfriend to Cedar Key after hearing great things about it here on JC and let me tell you it is awesome!

We got there around 10 am and didn't leave until 8 pm and we were never bored. It's an uncontrolled field with no fuel, building or taxiways and barely a place to park but thats how I love it! The people are super nice and the atmosphere is relaxed.

Once you announce yourself on the CTAF a lady comes on the radio to ask if you want transportation and she picks you up right at your plane.

Heres some of the pics I took

IMG_2299-1-1.jpg

Our faithful steed!

IMG_2304-2.jpg

My trusty co-pilot!

IMG_2311-1.jpg

IMG_2330-1.jpg

Some buildup that wasn't forecast. We got routed around some moderate precip and as we passed about 5 miles from it it spawned a funnel cloud that quickly touched down to become a water spout. I reported it to ATC and in our awe we didnt get a picture! Changes my perception of the seriousness of moderate echoes.

IMG_2340-1.jpg

IMG_2345-1.jpg

Cedar Key!

IMG_2349-1.jpg

Coming in to land

IMG_2376-1.jpg

Dockside, where all the shops and restaurants are

IMG_2381-1.jpg

Where we ate lunch, I got the fried grouper sandwich

IMG_2357-1.jpg

City Hall.... Cracks me up

IMG_2417-1.jpg

One of the many amazing houses on the island

IMG_2489-1.jpg

IMG_2518-1.jpg

IMG_2525-1.jpg

MMMM.... Clams for dinner!

Well that's all, it was a blast like I said and would recommend going there to everyone. They have golf cart rentals for a great price and then you can explore the whole island like we did.

What airport was that you flew over? I initially thought it was JAX, but i dont remember SW having that kind of presence there.

What airport was that you flew over? I initially thought it was JAX, but i dont remember SW having that kind of presence there.

It was MCO, we departed Melbourne, cut across the state and got routed right over it.

Question for anyone- I had REAL trouble contacting JAX approach when I was leaving Cedar Key.... I got my clearance void time and was in and out with JAX until they switched frequencies on me. Kinda an unnerving feeling but anyone have any experience like that? I figured my distance from them and my low altitude were contributing factors.

yeah I wanted to go there but thats one helluva trip from S FL to there... i ain't that rich! :D

It was MCO, we departed Melbourne, cut across the state and got routed right over it.

Question for anyone- I had REAL trouble contacting JAX approach when I was leaving Cedar Key.... I got my clearance void time and was in and out with JAX until they switched frequencies on me. Kinda an unnerving feeling but anyone have any experience like that? I figured my distance from them and my low altitude were contributing factors.

Weather permitting I'd just depart VFR and climb up above 3000' and then try to see if you can get your clearance. I used to head over there every 3-4 months or so from New Smyrna and would prefer to go VFR the whole way because we could go direct without any vectors from Orlando approach.

Weather permitting I'd just depart VFR and climb up above 3000' and then try to see if you can get your clearance. I used to head over there every 3-4 months or so from New Smyrna and would prefer to go VFR the whole way because we could go direct without any vectors from Orlando approach.

Yeah we went VFR over there because the weather was so nice but coming home it wasn't possible. It was my first time getting a clearance like that which was good practice and pretty fun.

JAX approach has recently become very bad about ignoring GA pilots when they have a high work load. Its gotten so bad that if you aren't on an IFR plan when you leave the ground they will refuse you when you try and open it in the air. The way to get around it is to be familiar with all the sector frequencies and call them on one of the other frequencies.

I love Cedar Key - did you get a ride in from the taxi lady that listens in on the CTAF? Sometimes I fly up there from St. Pete and pitch a chair in the water and just sit. Great place to visit.

I love Cedar Key - did you get a ride in from the taxi lady that listens in on the CTAF? Sometimes I fly up there from St. Pete and pitch a chair in the water and just sit. Great place to visit.

Yep, just like I read on here she ask us if we needed a ride to town and once we landed she just pulled right up to the plane and off we went. It was pretty cool :)

Yep, just like I read on here she ask us if we needed a ride to town and once we landed she just pulled right up to the plane and off we went. It was pretty cool :)

How much is she charging these days - last time I went in she wanted $10 each way.

How much is she charging these days - last time I went in she wanted $10 each way.

5 bucks a person each way. So for the two of us it was only 20 bucks. Everything is really reasonable in town as well. We rented a golf cart all day for 30 bucks and then you can go anywhere you want. We just cruised the island and found some pretty cool places.

5 bucks a person each way. So for the two of us it was only 20 bucks. Everything is really reasonable in town as well. We rented a golf cart all day for 30 bucks and then you can go anywhere you want. We just cruised the island and found some pretty cool places.

Yeah, that's what she charged us too - good to know inflation hasn't hit the islands yet. I can also relate to having a girl that's too good looking for me :)

I have been trying to get over there this week but the storms popping up at 10-12 in the morning everyday on the west coast have kept me away.

A few months ago we flew a few seminoles in there for lunch. Was lots of fun, and good teaching tool for the students.

Back