At the end of my rope, where can I get multi time!?

Cessnaflyer

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
I'd like to find a place where I can take an aircraft out with only a checkout and not all these insurance requirements. I can go anywhere that Alaska or Horizon airlines flies to pick-up the airplane.

Good luck with that.

Its not going to happen. The insurance companies control the business these days, and everybody needs to play their game.

The policy at my place is 350TT/50ME and 10 in type with a checkout. That is way low in comparison to most places. Our twin also is never available for people to just rent, so the point is moot anyways. You'd be better off hanging around the FBO and making some friends with Twin owners.

What is your mission? What type of flying are you doing? are you looking to just build 50-100 hours. are you looking to rent a twin to take your family on X-C's?
If you are just a time builder, just find a MEI and make a deal with him for "riding along" while you build time.
are you looking to build 100+ hrs multi? Consider buying a twin. The prices have really dropped of on many light twins.
Some more info might help others help you!

You can try asking Triangle Aviation in Leesburg, FL. It's been over a year since I've flown there, but when I did the owner had wide discretion on who flew the Duchess. I earned my multi add-on there and was allowed to fly it solo with only 10 ME hours. I was also able to schedule the plane in large, frequent blocks.

No guarantees of course, things might have changed considerably since I was there, but it's a shot.

my input? get your MEI. Then get hired on part time at an FBO, book no students, and go out in the multi all the time.

I would get your MEI. It looks good on the resume and helped me land a job. And much better experience teaching multi than time building for fun.

Skymates wont help they have a requirement too.

There are alot of pilot jobs available in alaska why don't you get a flying job and uild some good mountain flying experience?

If you can't do that, the usually a flight school can pair you up with an experienced pilot so the two of you can build time and split the cost .

Yeah I am having a hard time finding a part time instructing job while I already have a full time job.

Yeah I am having a hard time finding a part time instructing job while I already have a full time job.

Are there any owners near you with twins? Maybe a non-equity partnership would work out for you. Find someone who would like to share the cost of owning. They get a little extra cash which helps them, you get the twin time that you want!

Check with Skymates, see what they can do for you.

Yeah we have very strict insurance requirements these days. If you do find a place with low requirements then they probably dont have insurance, and if damage the plane you're gonna pay for it.

At the back of one of the magazines(Flight training?) there is an ad for a guy that you would fly his Aztec with him for around $50 hour. I think the guy is a motivational speaker and travels around the US.

Are you eligible for the Boeing Flying Club. They have a twin in Renton. Crest Airpark used to have a Travelair, with low requirements. It has been about 5 years since I have been there.

I'd like to find a place where I can take an aircraft out with only a checkout and not all these insurance requirements. I can go anywhere that Alaska or Horizon airlines flies to pick-up the airplane.

If you want to stay in the Northwest, I know that the Aurora Aviation (KUAO, about 10 minute from portland) will let you take the Seminole after a brief checkout. I think I did 1.5 hours with an instructor, and just spoke with the owner for a few minutes, then home free!

Unfortunately, the insurance companies do run this show. Very few places have mins below 350TT/50 Multi. Most are 500TT, 100 Multi with 25 in type.

I will also recommend getting your MEI. You will learn a lot in the process, and its certainly a resume builder.

Are there any owners near you with twins? Maybe a non-equity partnership would work out for you. Find someone who would like to share the cost of owning. They get a little extra cash which helps them, you get the twin time that you want!

Right now I just moved back to the Seattle area and my girlfriend is soon to be furloughed so we don't have the extra cash to jump into an airplane. Luckly she has friends that have a Seneca that I might be able to borrow for a few trips with the family :)

Are you eligible for the Boeing Flying Club. They have a twin in Renton. Crest Airpark used to have a Travelair, with low requirements. It has been about 5 years since I have been there.

I am a member at BEFA but the problem is they are getting ready to sell the dutch so it wouldn't give me much time to build time. Also Crest was the first place I looked at because I knew they have a travel air and that is what I got my CMEL when I was teaching at the college. Unfortunately they need 25 ME and I only have 12 :(

If you want to stay in the Northwest, I know that the Aurora Aviation (KUAO, about 10 minute from portland) will let you take the Seminole after a brief checkout. I think I did 1.5 hours with an instructor, and just spoke with the owner for a few minutes, then home free!

I looked on their website and was about to call but I had to run. I'll try them tomorrow if my other deal falls through.

Unfortunately, the insurance companies do run this show. Very few places have mins below 350TT/50 Multi. Most are 500TT, 100 Multi with 25 in type.

I will also recommend getting your MEI. You will learn a lot in the process, and its certainly a resume builder.

It's true 99% of the places had these mins or you had to pay nearly $400 an hour for a Seneca.

The problem I am having with getting my MEI is the time taken out for when I am trying to freelance instruct along with my full-time job and still trying to settle in to my new place. It's on the list but unfortunately at the bottom right now.

Thanks for the help everyone! This is why I love this site!

Back