Is high blood pressure going to disqualify me at PEPC?

GnW

I'm literally right on the line while unmedicated at ~140/90. I have seen some publications stating that ANY cardiovascular disease requiring medication is a disqualifier,
(4) An applicant under any form of treatment for any disease of the cardiovascular system is disqualified.
http://www.leftseat.com/atc/standard2.htm
What scares me is this is labeled as the initial employment requirements.

but I've also seen mention of:
No medical history of any form of heart disease. A medical history of high blood pressure requiring medication will require a review.
http://www.leftseat.com/atc/
But it would seem that this only applies to someone after they are hired?

I'm a little confused but I would hope someone has gone through this before me. And before anyone accuses me of being fat, lazy, and dumb, I'm 6' 160lbs and I run almost 20 miles a week. :mad:

I'm literally right on the line while unmedicated at ~140/90. I have seen some publications stating that ANY cardiovascular disease requiring medication is a disqualifier,
http://www.leftseat.com/atc/standard2.htm
What scares me is this is labeled as the initial employment requirements.

but I've also seen mention of:
http://www.leftseat.com/atc/
But it would seem that this only applies to someone after they are hired?

I'm a little confused but I would hope someone has gone through this before me. And before anyone accuses me of being fat, lazy, and dumb, I'm 6' 160lbs and I run almost 20 miles a week. :mad:

I found this post under "Ask a Flight Srugeon" BP limits by age

This is what I understand:

Age Systolic Diastolic
20-29 140 90
30-39 150 90
40-49 150 100
50 &> 160 100

i'm on the borderline. i have done home testing and average 139/83 over a two week period. I'm just going to try and relax and hope they take it three times and average the last two

Directly from the FAA website (I posted this link on another thread)
http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ahr/jobs_careers/occupations/atc/medical/

"Cardiovascular Standards — Applicants must have no medical history of any form of heart disease. A history of high blood pressure requiring medication will require special review. "

Pretty much the same as what you stated earlier...

right but is that pre-employment or after? it almost seems as though the standards are different.

i'm on the borderline. i have done home testing and average 139/83 over a two week period. I'm just going to try and relax and hope they take it three times and average the last two

i'm likely going to run, swim, and eat vegetables out my ass for the next month. no more beer either :(

god i hope so. i'm going to have to call OKC on monday and get some definite answers. this is really freaking me out.

That second post above was an answer quote from my post in "ask a flight surgeon." I have sleep apnea I've tried to treat for years (It's just recently become successful), and hypertension as a result.

Those numbers are stone-solid. I don't spike above those numbers anymore as I'm well controlled, or at least I hope the PEPC stress won't make me. If it's any consolation, the B/P has been my ONLY worry in qualifying for this career path... and it's a damn scary one.

I had my blood pressure taken twice. The first time I was way too high. The nurse taking the results took me into a room by myself and told me to relax and breathe for 15 minutes or so and she retested me. I made it that time by the skin of my teeth. If i can find my pepc paper work I'll let you know where it ended up at.

Stay away from a caffeine too (coffee, energy drinks/shots, sodas -- esp mountain dew).

Do not forget about sodium. Sodium is one of the biggest culprits when it comes to high BP. You will be amazed at how much sodium is in your everyday foods and beverages.

If they do multiple tests...then I don't think I'll have a problem...took my BP twice a day for a month...my AVERAGE is around 127/76...but had a few times that it was like 155/96!! That was the highest...but after resting for 10 minutes and taking again...had gone back down to the 120's/70's. Don't think it'll be an issue...

Do not forget about sodium. Sodium is one of the biggest culprits when it comes to high BP. You will be amazed at how much sodium is in your everyday foods and beverages.

Yeah, I'm planning on quitting alcohol and sodium altogether. Don't really drink any caffeine at the moment. I doubt it will help though. I'd rather just be able to take a pill :mad:

Guess I'll find out tomorrow :panic:

Awesome, they told me they can't give a phone number to anyone who might be able to answer the question and all medical questions will be evaluated and addressed at PEPC :banghead:

Yeah, thanks lady. Let me go ahead and disqualify myself beforehand when a simple yes/no/call this guy would suffice.

Yah, this stuff is all really frustrating.
I think most of us have something in their profile that is of concern, whether it be medical, legal trouble, debt, previous employment, etc.

For some of us, we still don't have a straight answer after PEPC... just have to wait until the FOL (knock on wood)

Back