Is high blood pressure going to disqualify me at PEPC?

Question about weight...do they weigh you? What if you are muscular but still have a bit of a gut so your weight is higher? Will that affect you even if you BP and other stuff are good?

Question about weight...do they weigh you? What if you are muscular but still have a bit of a gut so your weight is higher? Will that affect you even if you BP and other stuff are good?
i dont think they care

I asked that same question on the medical forums, and they said there is no standard for weight. However obviously higher weight can be a contributer to higher BP. That was my concern too, but the BP med I'm on is approved by the FAA so hopefully that all won't be a problem for me.

Awesome, they told me they can't give a phone number to anyone who might be able to answer the question and all medical questions will be evaluated and addressed at PEPC :banghead:

Yeah, thanks lady. Let me go ahead and disqualify myself beforehand when a simple yes/no/call this guy would suffice.

9) I have a specific question about a medical qualification issue. Where can I find this information?
Medical qualification decisions are the exclusive domain of the FAA flight surgeon.

We would recommend contacting someone in the FAA's Aviation Careers Division to answer your questions.

Its information is:
FAA Aviation Careers Division, AMH-1
800 Independence Ave., SW
Washington, DC 20591
405/ 954-4657
http://www.faa.gov/jobs/

I don't know if this info will help...but I found in on the NATCA site and thought of this post and thought I would copy and paste it here.

Awesome, they told me they can't give a phone number to anyone who might be able to answer the question and all medical questions will be evaluated and addressed at PEPC :banghead:

Yeah, thanks lady. Let me go ahead and disqualify myself beforehand when a simple yes/no/call this guy would suffice.

Find out who does aviation medicals in your area and give them a call. They should know if blood pressure is a pass/fail type deal to get a 2nd class medical.

9) I have a specific question about a medical qualification issue. Where can I find this information?
Medical qualification decisions are the exclusive domain of the FAA flight surgeon.

We would recommend contacting someone in the FAA's Aviation Careers Division to answer your questions.

Its information is:
FAA Aviation Careers Division, AMH-1
800 Independence Ave., SW
Washington, DC 20591
405/ 954-4657
http://www.faa.gov/jobs/

I don't know if this info will help...but I found in on the NATCA site and thought of this post and thought I would copy and paste it here.

laugh.gif

yep that's who i called. i got excited until i saw the number :(
they flat out refused to give me a number/name for someone whom i might be able to answer my question. sheesh, all i want to know is if i can start taking BP medicine or not. :whatever:

Find out who does aviation medicals in your area and give them a call. They should know if blood pressure is a pass/fail type deal to get a 2nd class medical.

the thing is... it's not the same as a 2nd class medical (though it is very close).

i think they may screen applicants by different criteria than they do employees. if that's the case, they may not take people with BP medication... though once youre hired, i dont think they can fire you for it.

if you look at my first post, i found two different answers. and that's all that worries me. i'll try to get ahold of an AME though and see if he can find out.

I am not judging anyone here but we are all under 31 here and these medical problems seem to be an issue for many people. Again with all due respect these problems should be in the process of being handled before and regardless of this job. I am aware that you don't have to be in shape to do this job and I can guarantee i will never be on the cover of any magazine but one most look further ahead.

Allow me to give a little medical advice. As you know this is not an active job by any means. Sitting down is about all of what you will be doing. Also, this is one of the most stressful jobs in the world. Stress is a cause for all kinds of cardiovascular problems. One might not understand this but its because when we are stressed we produce adrenaline. Everybody might know what that is , but it is not good for you over long periods of time. ( ie 25 years) It hardens the arteries which makes them not as elastic and this is a bad thing that can not really be reversed.

All of you that are worried about blood pressures right now and hoping to be calm enough to pass the physical should take your worries a step further. Yeah you might get through the PEPC and pass which is great, but the problem still exist and I promise it will only get worse. One needs to change their lifestyle NOW and not wait until your first heart attack at 35 to then try and reverse the problems. imagine trying to get a 2nd class medical with a heart attack already under your belt, the red tape will be hell.

If the problems are because of genetics, and mean because of real genetics, not a poor lifestyle passed down from generations. Then you are the people that need to be more aware. People in this situation should do everything they can to be as healthy as possible in hopes to offset the family history. Family history is something you cannot change regardless of what you do, so its up to you to have everything else in the best shape in hopes to delay it. Ask your MD the next time you're in there of things that can be done now to prevent these problems to happen in the future.

I wish everyone the best

Back