Delta did a Go-Around

dcramer16

A situation occured tonight that I have never run into, I think I handled it as best as I could, but feel free to give your opinion.
I was flying to CLE tonight in a Baron. I was on a downwind for 28 and was cleared for the visual. I entered a base. I saw another aircraft at my 2 o'clock. I couldn't tell if it was on final for 28 or 24R cause of the angle but I kept my speed up anyways. After I switched to tower and was cleared to land, the other aircraft checked on. It was a Delta flight and was also cleared to land on 28, number 2. They were told to reduce speed, and they were closing in fast. I kept my speed up and didn't drop my flaps or gear till the last possible minute. When I touched down I taxied about 60kts down the runway to try and get off at the end as quick as possible. The other taxiways were closed due to maintenance. Just as I was about to turn off the runway I heard the controller get on and tell Delta to go-around. I felt terrible that a Delta flight had to go-around, but I think I did everything I could do to try and get out of the way. I think Cleveland could have done a better job of sequencing, but I still felt bad that that happened to them. It would have been easier for me to go around instead, but I was already almost to the end of the runway when tower told them to go around, otherwise I would have offered. I can't really think of anything I could have done differently. What do you guys think? I bet there's a couple p***ed off Delta pilots tonight!

I think you did the right thing so long as you weren't compromising the safety of the flight while you were doing it. It does sound like CLE could have done better sequencing, but its hard to say since I don't have the picture that they were seeing. I don't like make planes go around either, but my number 1 thing is safety first.

CLE ATC

Cleveland, in my opinion, has awful air traffic controllers compared to the rest. I'm not saying it's a threat to safety but rather, convenience. They slow planes down really far out for no reason. I have been told by numerous captains that I've flown with that it is a 'training airport.' Perhaps a disproportionate number of the controllers are trainees and that may explain the slowing down far out issue, and that is understandable.

I have no idea what happened here based on what you wrote other but it would not surprise me if ATC messed something up.

Re: CLE ATC

I have been told by numerous captains that I've flown with that it is a 'training airport.'

Perhaps that would explain why I get cleared for the approach at BKL about twice a week when I always fly to CLE...:yup:
Then I have to get on the radio and explain that my flight plan is filed to CLE not BKL!

I fly into CLE twice a day Mon-Fri, and I always thought Cleveland does a good job. For such busy airspace they are always pleasent and friendly too.

I've never flown into CLE, but the same scenario happened in ORF on the regular.

They'd stick a jet tight behind a piston something-or-other (didn't really matter if it was 60 kts or 100, due to the closure rate)

The pilots knew ATC jammed them up, and I'm sure weren't mad at you.

When you're on approach and all that, ATC is responsible for spacing. Fly YOUR airplane safely.

Cleveland, in my opinion, has awful air traffic controllers compared to the rest. I'm not saying it's a threat to safety but rather, convenience. They slow planes down really far out for no reason. I have been told by numerous captains that I've flown with that it is a 'training airport.' Perhaps a disproportionate number of the controllers are trainees and that may explain the slowing down far out issue, and that is understandable.

I have no idea what happened here based on what you wrote other but it would not surprise me if ATC messed something up.

When up at FAA HQ in OKC a couple of weeks ago, I drank with a new controller training out of CLE. Maybe that is where they send the new guys.

Once at SNA I heard a small guy apologize for sending a jet around - the jet came back and said, I would rather you fly safely and we go around, then crash and make us divert.

Once at SNA I heard a small guy apologize for sending a jet around - the jet came back and said, I would rather you fly safely and we go around, then crash and make us divert.

I didn't do anything that wasn't unsafe. Our company profile for a visual is 3-5 miles flaps approach, 1000' gear down, cross the threshold at 85-95kts. I usually put the flaps down at 5 cause the Baron is a slick aircraft to slow, but in this case I didn't put the flaps in till 3 miles. I crossed the threshold at 95 and I felt totally comfortable taxiing fast when I still had 4000' of runway left. I had plenty of time to slow down before my taxiway came up.

Up until now I have never seen a commercial airliner have to do a go-around. I can't imagine what the pax were thinking between the time they started the go-around, started running checklists, and then find time to explain to them what was happening.

In all seriousness think about why you care so much...cause really you shouldnt.

You made a good effort.

Pilots are paid by the hour.

In the end its ATC's fault.

question....if you were practically at the end of the runway and turning off of it, why would ATC tell the other plane to go around? don't they have enough clearance to land at that point?

question....if you were practically at the end of the runway and turning off of it, why would ATC tell the other plane to go around? don't they have enough clearance to land at that point?

I don't know what the clearance limits are, it's a 6000' runway if I remember correctly.

I can see why CLE would be used as an ATC training airport. At most, CLE sees about forty arrivals an hour, so I guess that would give the ATC a decent workload. I only saw one jet do a go-around here in CLE a couple years ago. It doesn't really happen that often.

I think it's 5000' separation on the ground...

I don't think it's a matter of clearance, but rather the fact that there is an object on the runway - an aircraft in this case - and it presented an unsafe condition, I guess. RWY 28 is 6017' long and there are only two taxiways in which to exit the runway at the end. One of those was closed, so that left only one taxiway to exit the runway on.

so in that sense...with one object on the runway and even tho about to turn off, better safe than sorry.

makes sense, it's just gas vs souls...souls are more important

Back