Controlled Crash Landing In Utah

airplanerik

I don't know if everyone has already heard about this, but it looks like professor Bridewell and his brother had to make a "controlled crash landing." It sounds pretty intense. I'm glad they are both okay.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/index.cfm?id=81469&section=homepage

A UND associate aviation professor and his brother suffered significant injuries after they survived the crash of a small plane Sunday afternoon in Carbon County, Utah, according to authorities.

John Bridewell had flown to Prescott, Ariz., to pick up his brother, Duncan, according to Bridewell’s stepdaughter. The two departed Sunday for Alaska, and at about 12:40 p.m., an AirMed helicopter reported to the Utah Highway Patrol the plane was going down about 40 miles outside Price, Utah.

Captain Guy Adams of the Carbon County (Utah) Sheriff’s Department said in a phone interview that Duncan Bridewell was able to talk to investigators from his bed in University of Utah Hospital in Salt Lake City.

James Johnson Archive “He told them that they were flying in a canyon by the Green River Channel,” said Adams. “He said the weight of the gear they were carrying and changing conditions in the canyon made it difficult for them to regain altitude. John Bridewell decided to perform a controlled crash landing in terrain level to the river channel.”
According to Adams, Duncan Bridewell told investigators that thick vegetation concealed large boulders along the terrain, and when John brought down the Piper Cherokee, it struck a rock, rupturing the gas line and setting the passenger compartment on fire.

Duncan told investigators he helped John escape the fiery aircraft before help arrived.

“Six people in a rafting party came to their aid and helped them escape the immediacy of the fire,” Adams said. “Another rafting party arrived with EMT equipment. They took them down river to tend to their needs.”

The fire, rocky terrain and canyon location all slowed the recovery effort. It was Monday before the Bridewells were airlifted to Salt Lake City. Both are listed in fair condition.

John Bridewell was heavily sedated when investigators arrived at the hospital Tuesday. He still was groggy when reached by telephone Tuesday night and said he was not ready to talk about the incident. Duncan Bridewell had just come out of surgery.

The fire from the crash burned about six acres, making the investigation into the cause more difficult, Adams said.

“The fuselage will be turned over to the FAA,” Adams said. “Everything is consistent with the investigation so far from what Duncan Bridewell was able to tell us. They’re beat up, they’re definitely lucky to be alive.”

That is sad news. I hope the Ragin' Cajun makes a full recovery. His class might not be the most exciting but he sure is a good guy.

holy crap. glad theyre alright, bridewell was my 102 prof and always seemed like a really nice guy.

Sounds like the ol' prof got a schooling on density altitude! Glad he and his pax lived to tell the tale!

Had him for 102 a couple years ago and was one of the few in the class to understand his humor. Great guy.

Prof Bridewell's a pretty smart guy... Glad to hear they are alright. I would bet there's more to the accident...

Whatever happened and whoever's fault it was, we have two surviving an aircraft accident and we should be very thankful for that!

holy crap. glad theyre alright, bridewell was my 102 prof and always seemed like a really nice guy.

100% Agree. I sure hope he makes a full and speedy recovery, he was a great professor and cared about his students success. It was a sigh of relief when I found out they obth survived, my prayers and best wishes go out to him and his brother. I had him for 102 along with you.

Weird thing was that one girl who crashed in the taildragger in CO was also in our class..

On a side random note I need someone to talk to regarding an invention idea...

It's too early to speculate like that.
No it is not

Flatlander pilot, loaded airplane, hot, high mountainous terrain. Big mystery. :whatever:
:yeahthat: happens at least once a year.

“He told them that they were flying in a canyon by the Green River Channel,”
That is just simply retarded, the Green is tight, twisty, and as Matt said High and this time of year, Hot. It was easily over 100 degrees yesterday in that area. Its bumpy enough flying over the thing at 12500. The Green 40 outside of Price is GNARLY country, I am shocked anybody survived at all.

Wow. Very sad to hear, but I'm glad that they're all right

I second that and well I have flown in that area alot and well Prof. Bridewell and his brother have some real luck that there were people rafting down the river. Because there is nothing out there for hundreds of miles.

*twilight zone music*

hah maybe our 102 class is just doomed??:panic:

Haha don't say that bro, dont jynx it....Though its VFR I bet in your pic you diddnt even know your flying upside down......and you were trying to flip a coin to see if it'd go "up". :p

What was the Pressure and temperuture reported at the time of the insicdent?

Flatlander pilot, loaded airplane, hot, high mountainous terrain. Big mystery. :whatever:

Ever hear of partial power loss in an engine? It could be anything as far as we are concerned right now. The NTSB will investigate and report their findings in time.

I assume Bridewell will not be teaching 102 this Fall while he is recovering. Anyone know who his replacement might be if this is the case?

Back