American Airlines Cancels Flight Due to Hostile Passengers

Re: American Airlines Cancels Flight Due to Hostile Passenge

Good for them. It sucks for all the other people on the flight that weren't being idiots, but maybe this will cause people to watch what they say a bit more.

I flew a flight two days ago that ended up leaving 2 hours late due to the "crew being late". There were a few people who complained, but for the most part people were understanding. Of course it helped that it had been pouring rain and thunderstorms on top of the airport for the last three hours.

I'd like to see a code of ethics for passengers published by the ATA or the individual carriers and to start seeing people getting booted for not following it. For what ever reason a lot of people seem to leave their common sense behind when they go through security.

If I had anything to do with it, I might have sent all of their luggage to Fiji instead of JFK. They got what they deserve with exception of the passengers that were not lowlifes!

Booing a crew? Pathetic. That's like calling the guy who cooks your food a dumbass...

...or smarting off at the drive-thru! :)

"And my fries better be fresh, dorkboy!"

To play devil's advocate here, AA is bringing this upon themselves (the company - not the crews/gate agents). I'm a very frequent AA flyer and have noticed a horrendous dip in logistical service in the past year. Here's just a summary of my last two AA trips (both in June):

Trip One
TPA to DFW: On time as scheduled
DFW to TPA: 4pm flight cancelled (at 2:30pm) - rebooked on 8:45pm flight that left at 11:50pm - arrived in TPA at 3:15am

Trip Two
TPA to DFW: 30-minutes late
DFW to OKC: 2-hours late
OKC to DFW: 4-hours late
DFW to TPA (later flight since connection missed): 1-hour late

I flew SWA the other day and just took a look at the board in CMH for #####s and giggles. All flights on time - save four. All four were AA flights (of a total of 6 they had up on the board).

Naturally it doesn't excuse animosity towards the crew, but something ain't right at AA. With all that has gone on, I can't believe their current CEO has kept his post. No offense to AA employees, but AA can disappear all together and that would be fine with me - and this is from someone who used to love being an AA passenger.

People to never tick off:

5. A LEO who just pulled you over.
4. Hotel Check in
3. TSA
2. People who prepare your Food
1. Airline Flight Crews

Good. I would have canceled the flight as well then I would of systematically slapped each passenger who was booing.
Im sure they had a good reason for the delay. The crew made a wise choice. I hope management was on their side.

I love how the media gives no reason why the crew was late.

FAA mandated rest period? Late arriving inbound flight? There's many very valid reasons why this crew was late getting to that plane. Funny how the media completely leaves out the crew's side of things.....

I highly doubt the crew made this decision lightly. When I was LGA based I worked lots of Florida-New York flights. They were hell. No matter HOW nice we were, no matter WHAT we did for the pax, it was never good enough, and they always demanded more.

Events like this make me almost glad I got furloughed. Hearing stories like this also cements my opinion that if/when I ever go back it'll be in the corporate arena.

Things like this make me smile. It's all job security for me.

If you ask me, there's no excuse for keeping people waiting for an hour and a half. I'm sure it's not the crew's fault, but it is AA's fault, for sure.

and this is from someone who used to love being an AA passenger.

I have noticed the same decline in service/morale at AA. I was on AA four to five times a month until earlier this year. I have recently been frequenting another commercial carrier where the service is still OK. I do not have the mileage status there that I have at AA, but, so far, have always been greeted and helped with a smile.

There is really no excuse for such bad behavior as booing the people in charge of your transportation and safety when you travel.

AA's communication has become completely absent. Speculation: If the passengers never received an explanation as to why the crew was late, there may be little understanding. Bad situation all the way around. If the crew would have flown, I can only imagine what a flight from Hades that would have been.

To play devil's advocate here, AA is bringing this upon themselves (the company - not the crews/gate agents). I'm a very frequent AA flyer and have noticed a horrendous dip in logistical service in the past year. Here's just a summary of my last two AA trips (both in June):

Trip One
TPA to DFW: On time as scheduled
DFW to TPA: 4pm flight cancelled (at 2:30pm) - rebooked on 8:45pm flight that left at 11:50pm - arrived in TPA at 3:15am

Trip Two
TPA to DFW: 30-minutes late
DFW to OKC: 2-hours late
OKC to DFW: 4-hours late
DFW to TPA (later flight since connection missed): 1-hour late

I flew SWA the other day and just took a look at the board in CMH for #####s and giggles. All flights on time - save four. All four were AA flights (of a total of 6 they had up on the board).

Naturally it doesn't excuse animosity towards the crew, but something ain't right at AA. With all that has gone on, I can't believe their current CEO has kept his post. No offense to AA employees, but AA can disappear all together and that would be fine with me - and this is from someone who used to love being an AA passenger.

Yep...

I have flown on American 10 times in the last year. 3 of the flights were cancelled and the remaining 7 were all delayed AT LEAST 2 hours. I refuse to fly on AA anymore because of the horrible schedule. And yeah, the morale is bad too which doesn't make it very fun either.

Customer service by airline personnel=almost non-existent.

It's sad, but true.

Yeah I noticed there was no reason given as to why the flight crew was late. If you read all the comments by the viewers, they all think the crew was just imcompotent and chose to arrive a couple hours late. If I chose to arrive 2 hours late for my flight a couple times I think I'd be getting a phone call from the Chief Pilot. A couple comments went as far to say, we are lazy unionized crews who work too little and get paid a lot and "stewardesses" are just lazy cart pushers with glorious job.

That said, its time to leave for DFW for my commute on AA this afternoon. :laff:

Gate Agents & Media

Customer service by airline personnel=almost non-existent.

It's sad, but true.

I agree.

Part of what we see here could be the reporter leaving out the reason why the crew was late.

However, based on my experience so far, I would not be surprised if the gate agents made one announcement after another to the crowd of passengers about how the crew was running late, but offered no reason as to why they were late.

The videos of some of the passengers really makes me believe that they were led to believe that crew was hanging out at home or the hotel or something instead of reporting for duty. Realistically they were probably delayed for rest rules or, at that hour, probably coming in on another flight.

The crew showed up to the mess that the gate agents probably left them. Good luck to the gate agents when they have to explain to their manager why the pax were left in the dark about the cause of the flight crew's late arrival.

Oh, and the NYC crowd can be childish and immature. I walked away from a guy last week because his comments were like that from a whiny child. I never thought I'd have to walk away from a customer while they were still talking but I'm not gonna stand there and listen to "Since this airline is obviously going out of business, what are YOU going to do about it?" I recommended other airlines and other hubs as usual, and that was it.

I'm willing to bet it was no mistake those bags arrived in JFK instead.

To give credit where credit is due, I did notice an AA captain go above and beyond the other day. Our flight was delayed and there was no gate agent at the counter. Capn' rolls up to check whatever it is you guys check up there and is met with a line of people that begin asking him about their connections (why BTW, I found hillarious/disturbing). He told each and everyone that he was a pilot and couldn't help them (in a manner much more polite than I would have been). Didn't stop people, though - "but I really have to get to Baltimore tonight - can you put me on another flight"?

Feeling bad for the guy, I jumped in line - when I got up to him he was obviously frazzled. I said to him "I don't need anything, but if you want, I'll stand up here and look like I do so you can get some work done".

I think he appreciated that :)

If I had anything to do with it, I might have sent all of their luggage to Fiji instead of JFK. They got what they deserve with exception of the passengers that were not lowlifes!

Booing a crew? Pathetic. That's like calling the guy who cooks your food a dumbass...

...or smarting off at the drive-thru! :)

"And my fries better be fresh, dorkboy!"

:laff:...:laff:...:laff: I couldn't agree with you guys more!!! Passengers are waaaaaay out of control these days, and it's just getting worse!

Things like this make me smile. It's all job security for me.

If you ask me, there's no excuse for keeping people waiting for an hour and a half. I'm sure it's not the crew's fault, but it is AA's fault, for sure.

Sure it is Americans delay, and their shouldn't be an excuse to keep people waiting that long, but I'm sure there is a logical reason why they were late, like comming in from another flight that was delayed, or crew rest, reserve crew etc... Either way, that doesnt give the passengers the right to start acting like animals! This is what happens when you travel by car,boat,train,bike,rollerskates,skateboard,"AIRLINES" are just as likely to have delays, especially with AA being if not the largest airline in the US, the world.

Guys, I don't doubt for one minute the pax were being idiots. I also don't doubt that the gate agents were probably being childish as well. Most of us live this life and see how pax are treated. Do I blame the gate agent? Yes and no. yes, becuase they have to provide better customer service, no because 50% pay cuts, more hours, less help, potentially losing job, etc the list goes on.

I've said this since Sept of 2000, labor in this country needs to finally organize and put an end to corporate greed. This industry can not be subsidized by its employees wages. If they don't like it, EVERY pilot in the US should not step foot in a cockpit, until the gov't steps in and subsidizes transportation. Period, end of story. And I don't give a hoot who's in office. He can stick in where the sun doesn't shine.

Will this ever happen? No, people are too in debt, and don't care enough.

Back