Back to flight instructing again?

Skyway

Hi everyone, I don't usually post alot here, but has anyone else besides me went from flying for the airlines back to instructing for a while? I used to fly for Skyway airlines, but I am sure everyone knows by now what happened to them. Then I had a class date with Shuttle and that got cancelled. After that I had a class date with AWAC for this June 23rd and that to got cancelled. So I have taken a CFI job again at a real good school in VA, that could lead to corporate opportunities. So my point is has anyone here ever went back to instructing again and how did you feel about it? I really want to get back to jets or props again sometime. I got into airline flying because I always wanted to fly and travel but this is a hard industry. I don't want to be someone who gets stuck and never gets back to the airlines again.

Dominion Aviation in Richmond,VA. It seems like a very well put together business. I am in the pool at two airlines but if I instruct, I have to commit for a 12 month period.I am hoping that I can go back to Shuttle or AWAC but who knows for sure. I guess I am lucky to be flying at this point.

A great number of people did exactly that after 9/11. I think it'll become much more common with the recent trend in furloughs. I'm betting it'll get worse before it gets better. My only advice would be to try and avoid any long-term commitments to an instructing job. If the airlines are your goal, it's best to be able to act when the opportunity arises.

When the hiring resumes, I'd bet that the requirements will be a little steeper than they were in recent history. If you're a low timer, a year may not be too long to get yourself competitive and stay sharp for interviews in the mean-time. I was never sharper than while I was instructing the second time.

As for this:
I don't want to be someone who gets stuck and never gets back to the airlines again.
Don't worry about getting stuck instructing long-term. If you want to work for the airlines all you have to do is be willing to take the initial pay-cut, and apply.

My initial PPL CFI, waaaayyyy back in the days before GPS was on airplanes, was a 737 CA that lost his job when Midway Airlines (original, not re-hash) shut down.

He couldn't find work, so he CFI'd and worked FDX ramp part time.

He's a FDX now.

Something to be said for that.

I have to commit for a 12 month period.

No such thing as an employment contract. If the company does not pay for any kind of training then you can leave any time without having to pay. There is this great thing called the Emancipation Proclamation that says you don't have to work for someone that you don't want to. This is not the military.

I'd take a very dim view of having to sign a contract if I were already a rated CFI/CFII/MEI etc....

The school obviously wants to cut down on turnover, without offering a benefits pacakge to keep instructors at the school. Fine, I understand this, but this doesn't work for your situation.

First, I'd speak with the guy/gal doing the hiring and express my willingness to work at that school. A full year contract is no good, but I'd offer to place all of my students with another instructor in the event that I got re-hired at another airline. I'd do my best to express my desire to make a win-win situation for both the school and the instructor. If the school isn't interested in a win-win, it might not be the best place to work at. (In these times, though, I understand that the school might have the upper hand.)

A CFI with airline experience is better than a CFI with a wet-ink certificate.

Thank you all for some of your replies. The reason I would have to commit for 12 months is because the school pays for my training. If I leave to early then I pay the pro rated amount back kind of like Republic Airways does. I got something from Gojets online but even though I really miss flying jets and mostly the people that I worked with I will not be taking a position with GoJets. Alot of that reasoning is because I still want to do the right thing even if I have to wait another year to have a second chance at the airlines again.

What training would they be giving you? Are you not a CFI? If their "training" is merely standardization, I'd hardly find that worthy of requiring an employment contract with training reimbursement if you should leave.

Thank you all for some of your replies. The reason I would have to commit for 12 months is because the school pays for my training. If I leave to early then I pay the pro rated amount back kind of like Republic Airways does. I got something from Gojets online but even though I really miss flying jets and mostly the people that I worked with I will not be taking a position with GoJets. Alot of that reasoning is because I still want to do the right thing even if I have to wait another year to have a second chance at the airlines again.

Well going to CFI for a year and then maybe landing an airline job will be looked upon highly.

Going to GoJet will demolish your career.

::enter aloft::

-Rob

Sigh!!!!! Why does Gojet always the first name that always pop into everyone mind? Used to be mesa now it's Gojet, it's a never ending cycle. I was told there is never a perfect company. If you need money and no one is hiring then you take the job.

Well going to CFI for a year and then maybe landing an airline job will be looked upon highly.

Going to GoJet will demolish your career.

::enter aloft::

-Rob

Going to Gojet will not demolish your career.... Please don't give such outrageous comments based on what you heard 5th hand. Nobody outside TSA cares about the whole GJ/TSA thing, certainly not majors, if they do they got way too much time on their hands.

Going to Gojet will not demolish your career.... Please don't give such outrageous comments based on what you heard 5th hand. Nobody outside TSA cares about the whole GJ/TSA thing, certainly not majors, if they do they got way too much time on their hands.

I've JS'd with too many WN, CAL, DL, and regional pilots who've commented on GoJet pilots and their distaste for them.

I'd stay away but that's just me.

Does it matter? Your not going to convince them to suddenly change there mind about anything.

-Rob

No but you can educate them. I used to be the same way but after being at TSA I learned the real story behind GJ and by all means it's a legitimate place.

No but you can educate them. I used to be the same way but after being at TSA I learned the real story behind GJ and by all means it's a legitimate place.

Are you serious?

There are a lot of guys that are at TSA that'd have your butt for saying something like that, I believe.

Are you serious?

There are a lot of guys that are at TSA that'd have your butt for saying something like that, I believe.

No there aren't. We see GJ guys everyday they jumpseat on our flights and vice versa. It's by no means a joyous existence but whith the things you hear online you'd think there's war going on with GJ guys.

Uh. . .good luck with that.

I'd have to think pretty damn highly of myself to try to educate DAL, WN, CAL, UAL guys why their opinions of GoJet are incorrect. . .frankly . . . I would more than likely agree with them, but come on now. Those guys (for the most part) have been around the block. And thankfully no regional FO or Captain should be able to convince them, or as you say - educate them, on why GoJets is a good thing for one's career.

YGTBKM

Back