Delta bumps Air Canada in LAX

Not I.

8828a696-027f-4e67-b8d5-5a6af03c9c9e.jpeg
9ae651c3-e3e6-4b1e-b7b5-2f332b7fbb51.jpeg
 
This A350 in LAX was headed to Tokyo. I note that the A350 that ate CRJ booty in ATL last year was also headed to Haneda.

I wonder why Delta was on the "wrong" side of the airport. Air Canada was at T6.
 
Well, the performance for 24L at MGTOW is very good.

However, some guys prefer the longest runway but it’s not generally necessary. I don’t know!
 
The article said DL was under tow. When I was being towed my feeling was I'm not in charge of where I go or what I hit. Ground guy stuff.
 
I literally have no idea what occured here or in the cockpit, but I generally train new captains that if you think you need to swing out a little. Well, just stop and set the brake until you’re satisfied you have clearance.

Hell I was always worried about going around stuff in stubby winged CR2s, the few times I caught myself tempted by it in the 737 the butterflies got the better of me and I just either stopped or crept up on the line til it was clear.

But I also am a super fan of knowing how much I make per minute and enjoy adding extra minutes to my trips so…
 
The article said DL was under tow. When I was being towed my feeling was I'm not in charge of where I go or what I hit. Ground guy stuff.
I never have that level of comfort if Im in the seat. There are things I cant see behind me, but I never feel like "not my problem".
 
The article said DL was under tow. When I was being towed my feeling was I'm not in charge of where I go or what I hit. Ground guy stuff.
I read it the other way around. The AC 777 was being towed into its gate and the DL 3½ was taxiing for takeoff.

Looking at the paint lines it appears the 777 was not fully inside the gate area.
 
Hell I was always worried about going around stuff in stubby winged CR2s, the few times I caught myself tempted by it in the 737 the butterflies got the better of me and I just either stopped or crept up on the line til it was clear.

But I also am a super fan of knowing how much I make per minute and enjoy adding extra minutes to my trips so…
As a fairly new captain I was trying to get in to the gate in BOI but there was an aircraft on the intersecting taxiway that made things tight. I stuck my head out the window as I inched forward. Then I remembered I wasn't driving a Honda Civic and set the brake and let ground know we were stuck. It was a great epiphany as a newly minted captain that absolutely nothing is really that pressing that's worth doing anything remotely close to that. Shook my head at myself for a bit and stowed it away in the "dumb stuff I'll never do again file".
 
As a fairly new captain I was trying to get in to the gate in BOI but there was an aircraft on the intersecting taxiway that made things tight. I stuck my head out the window as I inched forward. Then I remembered I wasn't driving a Honda Civic and set the brake and let ground know we were stuck. It was a great epiphany as a newly minted captain that absolutely nothing is really that pressing that's worth doing anything remotely close to that. Shook my head at myself for a bit and stowed it away in the "dumb stuff I'll never do again file".

When I was a new CRJ CA, I showed up to a dark -200 wedged into a crazy tight space next to a hangar in DVL. I was supposed to somehow taxi it out of there, like I was parallel parking a civic or something.

I told the ground crew they need to tow it out, and then called the MOD stating the same. We left an hour late, and I couldn’t have cared less.

Absolutely ridiculous some of the crap these people expect us to risk our careers over.
 
From one of the youtube animations, it looks like potentially the AC 777 was ahead and taxiing to the gate and the DL7 was behind and mentally checked off the 777 when they pulled *mostly into the gate. The catch was they werent actually all the way in and struck the tail. Wouldnt be the first time thats happened.
 
From one of the youtube animations, it looks like potentially the AC 777 was ahead and taxiing to the gate and the DL7 was behind and mentally checked off the 777 when they pulled *mostly into the gate. The catch was they werent actually all the way in and struck the tail. Wouldnt be the first time thats happened.

Yeah that’s always a bad one.

Had literally the same thing happen a few years ago in BKK on a random linecheck. Taxiing South from our north gate on taxiwayDelta in a 767-300 (156’ w/s).

Another widebody partially pulled in to a gate ahead of us, but the tail was still sticking out considerably onto Delta. ATC had cleared well past that point.

The CA I was with spotted it at the last second and stopped. The LCA and I did not see it at all (dark out and we were focused straight ahead).

Thanks goodness for that sharp captain, as it would’ve been extremely easy to smack that tail with the left wingtip.
 
From my time working Airport Compatibility for Boeing before flying for a living, I have a whole lot of respect for wingtip clearances that some days borders on paranoia. Having been the guy that decides the location of those limit lines, publishes the taxi restrictions on the 10-9, and does the studies for nonstsndard operations, it was eye opening how little margin there is in a lot of cases. Worse still, a high percentage of airports have waivers issued to go even below that. I lobbied for many myself. It's helped me tremendously in the left seat, especially in bigger airplanes. The 757 is particularly tricky because we're often taking that Group IV airplane in places designed for Group III and you can clearly tell someone in my previous role got a waiver approved by proving equivalent level of safety in an airport safety study.

In pilot speak it translates to "stay on your toes 'cause you don't have as much room as you think".
 
Back
Top