SWA a stepping stone airline

I find it relatively boring, which it’s supposed to be, but not very mentally stimulating nor taxing. I’m usually tired of it about 15 mins after takeoff; however I see 121 for what it for me: part time work using a type I happen to hold, that nets a some extra side cash. Keeping it in that perspective, the few days a month I put up with flying trips, is doable.

And to your point, with the amount of mil leave I have to take, it ends up being a pretty part time job for me too. I have no frame of reference for what it would be like if I were doing it every month, all month, month after month. In short, the novelty hasn't worn off yet for me. You're right it is boring if things are going right, which they typically are, but I do get interested in learning some of the details of broader aviation that we didn't deal with flying tactical mil aircraft. And the people are kind of entertaining.

It was definitely an "and" type statement and not "or."

It feels like some of those guys don't even know the regionals exist, so some of their complaints come across more than a bit tone deaf sometimes.

Totally get this part. I think I am a pretty conscientious person largely, and I still have to watch what I say when I think about the guy sitting next to me who grew up way differently. We had hard stuff too, but we were always paid decently, and we never lived the regional life.

I see 121 for what it for me: part time work using a type I happen to hold
You're lucky to be able to do that 121. Not sure how much you work but that's what I've been looking for. I'll be too old in a few years anyways and doing the Air Attack stuff in the summers part 135 will probably have to be it. Would be cool if I could find a place with a couple 75's or 76's like your shop but even then you'd have to know somebody. I was amazed your shop only has two 737's. I remember when they had several Convair's flying pax and military charters.

Totally get this part. I think I am a pretty conscientious person largely, and I still have to watch what I say when I think about the guy sitting next to me who grew up way differently. We had hard stuff too, but we were always paid decently, and we never lived the regional life.
Yeah, don't feel bad. I had a huge prejudice against mil guys back in the late 80's before I got to the airlines. Once there, I actually met some mil guys, and found out all the crap they had to go through with deployments and all. We all paid our dues. Just in different ways.

You're lucky to be able to do that 121. Not sure how much you work but that's what I've been looking for. I'll be too old in a few years anyways and doing the Air Attack stuff in the summers part 135 will probably have to be it. Would be cool if I could find a place with a couple 75's or 76's like your shop but even then you'd have to know somebody. I was amazed your shop only has two 737's. I remember when they had several Convair's flying pax and military charters.

Try looking at Honeywell. They just had a listing for a pilot position in AZ, and operate a 757 test bed and other corporate aircraft (G280, maybe a CL30 or CL35). I could be wrong on some of that, but I swear I saw that.

I'm of course interested to hear their reasoning why I should be looking elsewhere,
With the new contract last year and the 12% raise across the board in Sept (plus more to come next year), the compensation is satisfactory. The old contract was such a steaming pile however, there was reason to bail and unfortunately it existed because of the indifference of those senior Boomers.

I agree with what you are saying in spirit, but counterpoint, as a junior FO sometimes on the receiving end of this, it honestly doesn't bother me at all. I just tell them I'm happy here. Normally ends that conversation topic. I'm of course interested to hear their reasoning why I should be looking elsewhere, because who knows, maybe I haven't thought of some things. Most of the guys in my left seat are old old old though, and probably disproportionately happy with their current lot in life.

CAs that do that are trying to live vicariously through their FOs because they always think the grass is greener. Not to say there aren't issues or that everything is perfect, but there is always a bit of irony when somebody who won't leave, is telling everyone else to leave. At the end of the day, all these airlines are perfect for the right person. If work can fit into your lifestyle properly and you are happy, that is the golden ticket.

Not to get on a "CA soapbox" but I can't freaking stand when CAs do that to FOs. I personally think it sets a bad tone in the flight deck, it is distracting, and it sets up the FOs to feel bad to where they either have to explain themselves on why they are staying, or they are forced to talk about their personal career choices.

Sometimes it seems like CAs feel that liking where they work is almost cliche.

Anytime a CA does that, it's basically projecting their own insecurities and regrets onto the FO.

I usually got that leg one, but the last guy who asked ended the trip with “I know it’s a tough decision, but make the one that you feel is best for you and your family” and I really appreciated that perspective. Definitely a lot of judgement from a few places for either decision that I could have made.

Did you ask him for his opinion? If not, he can shove that advice. I'd be chapped if I was a FO who didn't bring up anything about leaving, and a CA told me maybe I should leave and that it's a tough decision, make the one I feel is best for me and my family.

Um, I didn't ask you...

I live in CA and am very happy at AS. Yes I was VX, yes it took a while to get used to things but all things considered, I am quite happy with my QOL, the financial stability of the company, and for narrow-body flying, I think rivals or beats the rest of the domestic industry. I could easily leave and have 24 years at another airline but I legit like where I work.

As someone who lives in Cali as well and chose AS over other avenues, I will say I get asked a lot by people outside of AS why I went that route. Dude, LAX is a base for every major, what are you thinking?? It gets annoying.

Luckily for me, the CA’s I’ve flown with so far in LAX, even the prior VX guys have not asked me why I don’t have apps out. In the three months I’ve been flying the line here, all the CA’s I’ve flown with have been happy as well, small gripes here and there but nothing like where I came from. I also do enjoy the fact that this is a place where being a pilot and actually flying the plane is encouraged

If you're making life altering career decisions just to avoid the 737... then yeah. You're a toddler.
1703620543754.png

;)

I have to be honest, as a mentor in aviation, I can't encourage my FO's to stay at my airline. I encourage them to get their apps in, because the grass is greener.

Sorry if people don't like it, but I'm not going to do them a disservice.

I have to be honest, as a mentor in aviation, I can't encourage my FO's to stay at my airline. I encourage them to get their apps in, because the grass is greener.

I don't know what a "mentor in aviation" is but I am a new hire pilot mentor for my airline, and I will tell you that it isn't your job to encourage FOs to do anything. Set a good example, make the trips fun, be professional, and be safe. No disrespect, but you aren't a life coach. Lead by example and leave if you believe in it so much. If the grass is greener, be about it instead of bitching and moaning about how bad you have it.

RJ-land is not everywhere else.

Interestingly, I rode to work on the jumpseat of a Captain who was in E-jet initial the same time I was, and is still there; it's working for him. He has a group of contemporaries at both (U)LCCs and legacies and their general point of view is "same pile, slightly different shaped and sized shovels." Was really interesting, perspective-wise. He's older and basically flies whatever he wants and even gets to waive default minimum credit.

But for everyone else, errr, yeah.

I might have a different answer if you ask me again after a year or so on the line, but of the crews I’ve ridden with I’ve only had one FO ask me if I’d applied anywhere else. But my situation is kinda unique so that might be part of it

I'd agree that at a regional that doesn't own any of their own flying, it makes total sense to convince newer pilots to get out.

Very different than a place that controls their own flying.

I'd agree that at a regional that doesn't own any of their own flying, it makes total sense to convince newer pilots to get out.

Very different than a place that controls their own flying.
It’s amazing how much less bullcrap there is just by virtue of that control.

I don't think CAs asking their FOs about leaving has anything to do with projecting what they'd wished they had done.

It's more grievance related. "I hate this place.....you should leave if you can!" That's been my experience more than, "this place is pretty good....but maybe XYZ is better, maybe you should go try it out!"

Back