Online Masters

Not recent at all, but did the masters thing back when VHS and Compuserve were a thing.

But medium doesn’t matter. Ya gots to have the self control to do it. I couldn’t count the number of times I could have easily walked away from the whole thing. You have to have the perseverance to just put one foot in front of the other and keep the blinders on until you cross the finish line.

Oh, ya, not horribly inexpensive, either.

For sure. Not sure if the return, financially, is there either.

100% honesty. When I got done, I felt no measure of accomplishment. I was just glad I could lay down the bag of bricks and have that dark cloud not follow me around wherever I went.

Anyone in a masters program will know exactly what I’m talking about.

100% honesty. When I got done, I felt no measure of accomplishment. I was just glad I could lay down the bag of bricks and have that dark cloud not follow me around wherever I went.

If you don't mind my asking, what did you study? I've kicked this idea around but I'm lazy and I don't know what having that piece of paper would do other than exist.

Anyone have any recent experience of getting a master online while doing this job and being an old person? Cost? Time etc

So, why?

Is it a personal learning desire? Social status? Is there a job title that requires it?
(not intending to be snarky)

I’d like to have my masters, but largely personal learning desire. Non-aviation.

I'm doing something similar right now. If you're doing it for personal desire, then look at it like a hobby, with x-amount of time and money that you'd put into it. For some that's learning an instrument, or a language, or building something on the house. What you're committing is time and resources.

If you're doing it with a payoff/ROI in mind for future competitive offering, I don't have any advice for you, although that's why I'm doing what I'm doing. I think @Autothrust Blue might have some insight for you though.

I'm doing something similar right now. If you're doing it for personal desire, then look at it like a hobby, with x-amount of time and money that you'd put into it. For some that's learning an instrument, or a language, or building something on the house. What you're committing is time and resources.

If you're doing it with a payoff/ROI in mind for future competitive offering, I don't have any advice for you, although that's why I'm doing what I'm doing. I think @Autothrust Blue might have some insight for you though.
This is more or less how to look at it since, well, “officially” you can do this job with a high school diploma now. “Officially,” anyway. I personally harbor strong doubts that I’d be where I am without all the book learning.

I did the program I did because I found I had a few of the books and a strong interest already, and (sort of) had the means. And I was bored, and freezing, too, so a good inside bookish hobby was in order.

Oddly ALPA met the education with considerable indifference but it’s possible that is because I was already firmly in the grievance and representation world and there seems to be a firewall between that stuff and safety or quality assurance.

I will say the sooner you start the better. Academic writing is a perishable skill.

Yeah, I got my MS and my WARN letter on the same day too. They’re both framed so that maybe someone, someday will puzzle over the contrast.

Yeah, I got my MS and my WARN letter on the same day too. They’re both framed so that maybe someone, someday will puzzle over the contrast.

When I went back for even more school, I spent way more time in the lab, way more time teaching, and I had much more fun, in a mad scientist kinda way.

Just ignore those eight legged alligators in the Everglades. They’re really docile, really.

Oddly ALPA met the education with considerable indifference but it’s possible that is because I was already firmly in the grievance and representation world and there seems to be a firewall between that stuff and safety or quality assurance.

I would say that has more to do with the fact that there are very few (if any) programs out there that are designed to provide any skill set enhancements for what ALPA volunteers do. Possibly a law degree (with practice in the field), or possibly some kind of leadership/MBA program (with extensive practice in the field) would be applicable, but everything else seems kind of unrelated.

I'm starting my MS in Aviation Safety on Monday at the Ridd. It's partly because I am a lifelong learner, and partly because even though I don't know what I want to do when I grow up, I know that having another big resume bullet like that will at least hold the door open instead of me having to pry it open with things like charisma. I also have a strong background in aviation safety and this is a logical step.

I'm starting my MS in Aviation Safety on Monday at the Ridd. It's partly because I am a lifelong learner, and partly because even though I don't know what I want to do when I grow up, I know that having another big resume bullet like that will at least hold the door open instead of me having to pry it open with things like charisma. I also have a strong background in aviation safety and this is a logical step.
Low order wish I could find a law school I liked that would work with the schedule but alas.

Anyone have any recent experience of getting a master online while doing this job and being an old person? Cost? Time etc

Did a MS in Project Management this way, graduating in Dec 2022. Admittedly, used the VA so cant comment on cost, but as far as time; its doable. It SUCKS but, its doable. Often, id get about maaaaaybe 5 hours of sleep to finish work in the hotel on a laptop, Thesis/Capstone was especially brutal, but once again doable if you dont value sleep

Last edited:

I'm doing a masters right now. I'm half way through (more or less). I feel an immense sense of satisfaction thus far. Granted, there will only be more to study and learn when I get done, but personally so far I find the process really rewarding. In all fairness though, not doing it online (though there are some online classes as part of it).

I think it'll really depend on what you get it in.

Does your airline offer any program for it?

Ours offers fully online degree programs for crew through a partner university with a significant discount. It’s been a while since I looked at it, but the downside was the degree choices were pretty limited.

Does your airline offer any program for it?

Ours offers fully online degree programs for crew through a partner university with a significant discount. It’s been a while since I looked at it, but the downside was the degree choices were pretty limited.
Unfortunately no.

I want to do this. Not sure I want to go through Ridd to get it though.

Back