Online Masters

I'm starting my MS in Aviation Safety on Monday at the Ridd. It's partly because I am a lifelong learner, and partly because even though I don't know what I want to do when I grow up, I know that having another big resume bullet like that will at least hold the door open instead of me having to pry it open with things like charisma. I also have a strong background in aviation safety and this is a logical step.
Did they give you any sort of credit for aviation things in your background?

Let’s be clear, an “online” masters is really a box checking exercise. It’s something for a resume, a promotion requirement, or other such hoop jumping program. It consists mostly of a tedious, expensive reading/regurgitation exercise, where independent thought or investigation outside of a VERY narrow band is discouraged.

It should not be confused with any kind of serious graduate/profession degree program where legitimate inquiry or independent research is exercised, where they either pay you to be there, or there is a substantial back end.

If you’re doing it to feel good, please don’t let me stop you. Education is always good, so you do you.

If you’re doing it to feel good, please don’t let me stop you. Education is always good, so you do you.
"You do you, after I just • all over the program you want to do because it's not up to the standards I deem worthy."

Thumbs high my man. Thumbs high.

"You do you, after I just • all over the program you want to do because it's not up to the standards I deem worthy."

Thumbs high my man. Thumbs high.

That's what "you do you" means. We say it casually, but what it really means is "I find what you're doing crazy/stupid/daft/wasteful/unacceptable/inadvisable/insert other (circle all that apply), but I am too lazy, indifferent and/or, to be honest, don't really care about you enough to talk you out of whatever activity you planning"

It's roughly equivalent to "bless your heart" which really means "• off, you wasteful piece of organic matter"

Did they give you any sort of credit for aviation things in your background?
I don't think there is any "you're a pro pilot so here's credits" avenue, but I went through US Navy's Aviation Safety Officer course which is a month long. It was ACE accredited for masters level work and ER gave me 8 credits. That's good to completely knock out two courses, and the third for which I only have two credits for I'll be able to submit some proof that I have solid real world experience for them to give me the third credit hour.
I want to do this. Not sure I want to go through Ridd to get it though.
I chose it because I know several people who have done it, and their distance learning platform is pretty mature. It also helps that I have GI Bill benefits that far exceed the cost of the graduate program.
Let’s be clear, an “online” masters is really a box checking exercise. It’s something for a resume, a promotion requirement, or other such hoop jumping program. It consists mostly of a tedious, expensive reading/regurgitation exercise, where independent thought or investigation outside of a VERY narrow band is discouraged.

It should not be confused with any kind of serious graduate/profession degree program where legitimate inquiry or independent research is exercised, where they either pay you to be there, or there is a substantial back end.

Not necessarily true anymore. 10-15 years ago, I would have agreed. Not so much anymore. Are there lots of complete paper tigers? Sure, and they are a total joke and the people who hold them betray their lack of real education quite easily. However, ask anybody who has gone through the UNC MBA if their degree was a box checking exercise. You're likely to encounter a negative reaction. To the point in your second paragraph, we're not making online lawyers or medical doctors here. Scoff if you'd like, as if you are an academic snob surrounded by stacks of leather bound books, but we're talking about satisfying curiosity and refining a knowledge specialty we already have.

Back