Challenger 300 Turbulence Death - Prelim Released

Again, not sure why I’m engaging here but here goes anyways…is a new A350 where the airline name matches the website the ticket’s booked off of as safe as a clapped out RJ operated by the B-scale of the day? There’s tons of data on all 121 operators (because if they make an oopsie it’s a big enough deal that the FAA can’t ignore it) and the answer is pretty obvious. Trying to say that all 91 operations are the same is an even bigger stretch…especially because in a lot of ways it’s the Wild West from a regulatory standpoint. A good corporate operation should have better equipped aircraft and better trained crews than an airline.

Airline/charter safety is primarily driven by profitability—as much production as possible without any pesky news making accidents. Did airlines voluntarily equip with GPWS? TCAS? A good corporate operator is far ahead of mandates because of upper management’s sense of self-preservation and insurance policy requirements. But…again, there’s a lot of room between the best and worst 91 operators and far less between 121 operators. Narrow down to two-crew operations that carry high value liability insurance policies and I bet it turns into a very different discussion. Insurance companies mandate what the FAA doesn’t because claims aren’t profitable.

Again, not sure why I’m engaging here but here goes anyways…is a new A350 where the airline name matches the website the ticket’s booked off of as safe as a clapped out RJ operated by the B-scale of the day?

Statistically speaking, yes, they are. And that’s a testament to the regulatory environment (which doesn’t exist in part 91/135), the desirability of the career which draws the best applicants (also superior to 91/135), the superiority of the equipment (the ubiquity of autothrottles, autoland, FBW envelope protection, etc.), the superior training (sorry, but generic CAE is not on the same level as even a regional airline’s training program), etc.

Regulations…yes. Desirability of the career…highly debatable (there’s a big difference between time building and career level 91 jobs, just like airlines). Equipment and training? Good joke. Great joke. Look at the cockpit of a late model corporate jet and try to tell me that with a straight face. And training…is what your company puts into it. Does United send every one of their pilots to in-aircraft UPRT? Does GoJet operate under a full service sim agreement and train SMS action items outside the normal recurrent cycle? Sorry, just not buying it. And again, why do said regulations exist? The FAA can pretty easily ignore even a Gulfstream going down but the moment tickets are sold to the general public the game changes. I’m betting a lot of the stuff you’re bragging about would go away overnight without FAA oversight.

It doesn’t matter whether it would go away without FAA oversight, because the FAA oversight does exist and isn’t going anywhere. We have to deal with reality and not fantasy.

You are essentially arguing with the fabric of reality and statistical facts.

You’re leaving out a lot of stuff that I mentioned, plus a lot more. Simply put, it is straight up impossible to operate a piston twin to the same degree of safety as a 121 airliner of any manufacture, no matter how hard you try. A corporate jet can be different, but most often is not.
FIFY

Why do those rules exist? We can point to unions or accidents for almost everything good about 121. Again, a good 91 operator (again, not arguing that there’s a broad spectrum of good and bad) is ahead of the curve. Most of the stuff that becomes an FAA mandate for 121 is developed for 91 first because there’s demand for it.

Why do those rules exist? We can point to unions or accidents for almost everything good about 121.

Which is part of what makes 121 so much safer. When something bad happens, everything goes into making sure it can’t happen again. When something bad happens in 91, a handful of the best operators might make changes, but there is no institutional changes across the 91 industry.

Again, a good 91 operator (again, not arguing that there’s a broad spectrum of good and bad) is ahead of the curve. Most of the stuff that becomes an FAA mandate for 121 is developed for 91 first because there’s demand for it.

Show your work. CRM: invented by United Airlines. Instrument standardization: invented by ALPA. Checklists: invented by Boeing. Etc.

Which is part of what makes 121 so much safer. When something bad happens, everything goes into making sure it can’t happen again. When something bad happens in 91, a handful of the best operators might make changes, but there is no institutional changes across the 91 industry.

Show your work. CRM: invented by United Airlines. Instrument standardization: invented by ALPA. Checklists: invented by Boeing. Etc.
Airborne connectivity to send flight data? Extended duration FDRs? Synthetic/enhanced vision systems? Video CVRs? All available now and being used in 91 aircraft. Either not on the radar or being fought by 121. And again, “a handful of the best operators” could be used to discuss innovation in 121 safety too.

The funny thing is that 121 carriers don't even circle anymore....or fly in and out of Truckee. Heck, in his haste to bash corporate pilots, he said Reno instead of Truckee. Reno is a piece of cake compared to Truckee. The airlines don't even have service into Truckee. 91 and 135 flying is much more difficult because of how diverse the flying is... I'd like to see 121 guys do the TEB4 departure or the that departure out of Wheeling. They'd foul it up just like some 91/135 folks have.

GMAB. I said “that one Reno airport” because I specifically couldn’t remember which one it was without having to google for it. The point stands.

And it’s NOT a funny thing 121 airliners here don’t circle IMC anymore. It’s because it’s a recipe for pilots ending up in disaster. If not done correctly, you can get into an upset pretty quick. If you are doing circle approaches in IMC then I definitely don’t want to be on your plane - statistically speaking.

And I don’t think I said that adherence to SOP is the only reason 121 is safer. It’s the overall system. Sorry man, 91 is as relaxed as it gets.

GMAB. I said “that one Reno airport” because I specifically couldn’t remember which one it was without having to google for it. The point stands.

And it’s NOT a funny thing 121 airliners here don’t circle IMC anymore. It’s because it’s a recipe for pilots ending up in disaster. If not done correctly, you can get into an upset pretty quick. If you are doing circle approaches in IMC then I definitely don’t want to be on your plane - statistically speaking.

And I don’t think I said that adherence to SOP is the only reason 121 is safer. It’s the overall system. Sorry man, 91 is as relaxed as it gets.

Who circles IMC? A circling approach is a visual maneuver.

Back