Leave major for regional?

Jumpinthedog

Hi all, I'm not dispatching currently but I work for a major and have had my license while trying to get in. I haven't been able to get in yet and I'm wondering what the best route to take. Should I stay with the company and continue to try at every opportunity or should I just leave everything behind, go to a regional and hope that I don't get stuck.

I don’t think it’s currently a bad time to be at a regional. I believe you’ll get with a major before a year’s time.

Thanks for the advice, I guess that would probably be the best way forward.
You're welcome and good luck. The pandemic certainly put retirements into overdrive for the entire aviation industry, so it's been a steady conveyor belt from Regional -> Mid-Tier/ULCC -> Major for dispatchers since then, which is obviously good for us.

You're welcome and good luck. The pandemic certainly put retirements into overdrive for the entire aviation industry, so it's been a steady conveyor belt from Regional -> Mid-Tier/ULCC -> Major for dispatchers since then, which is obviously good for us.

It’s a mixed bag. Since I’ve started at my airline (one of mid tiers you listed previously) we only lost 2 dispatchers to a legacy airline, over the course of 7 years

You just never know. I left my major for the regional dispatch route and it took me over 10 years to get back. There are now people at my major who are internal hires that had only a couple of years with the company.
I met a lot of great people and got a ton of experience and opportunities by leaving, but losing all that potential vacation and seniority kind of sucks. Of course, I may never have gotten into the office had I not left.

I haven’t seen this brought up, so I will point it out… But the US economy is slowing, and by various measures we are in a recession.It could become a very challenging time in the airline industry. Europe is a big chunk of $ for US airlines,as well and EU could be in for a very tough winter. US airlines make a good amount of $ from the EU travel, this could potentially hurt the majors far more than people have

Going to a regional maybe good for experience but you may get stuck there. I use this as an example because it has happened to people I know.. they leave a major like American to go dispatch at Envoy/PSA, other regionals with hopes of getting back to AA. Some of those people have not gotten back and have had to go to other majors or stay at the regionals they are at.

everyone knows their situation better than anyone. Me personally, if I’m at a major, even if it’s in a different department than DX, I would stay at said major. The pay is likely much better than regionals, and at the regionals it’sturning out releases andnot much else.

Also once you hit that golden required min number of dispatch experience from a regional then u go into a pool of people with years and years of experience in dispatch… it looks like internal is the way to go after hitting that min number to set you apart .. doing whatever random job and working your way up more control positions with that major

Low cost carriers & cargo is great experience from what I see

But majors do love their own people

Last edited:
You just never know. I left my major for the regional dispatch route and it took me over 10 years to get back. There are now people at my major who are internal hires that had only a couple of years with the company.
I met a lot of great people and got a ton of experience and opportunities by leaving, but losing all that potential vacation and seniority kind of sucks. Of course, I may never have gotten into the office had I not left.
I haven’t seen this brought up, so I will point it out… But the US economy is slowing, and by various measures we are in a recession.It could become a very challenging time in the airline industry. Europe is a big chunk of $ for US airlines,as well and EU could be in for a very tough winter. US airlines make a good amount of $ from the EU travel, this could potentially hurt the majors far more than people have

Going to a regional maybe good for experience but you may get stuck there. I use this as an example because it has happened to people I know.. they leave a major like American to go dispatch at Envoy/PSA, other regionals with hopes of getting back to AA. Some of those people have not gotten back and have had to go to other majors or stay at the regionals they are at.

everyone knows their situation better than anyone. Me personally, if I’m at a major, even if it’s in a different department than DX, I would stay at said major. The pay is likely much better than regionals, and at the regionals it’sturning out releases andnot much else.
Thanks for these, it makes my decision harder but much clearer I think. Especially with the economy going the way it is I may have missed the window where leaving would have gotten me an in.

Hi all, I'm not dispatching currently but I work for a major and have had my license while trying to get in. I haven't been able to get in yet and I'm wondering what the best route to take. Should I stay with the company and continue to try at every opportunity or should I just leave everything behind, go to a regional and hope that I don't get stuck.

If you're already at a major, I'd try getting a job in scheduling or load planning or some other area of the NOC, then apply internally when a dispatcher position does come open. If you're working in the NOC already, it helps in two ways: you wouldn't have to move because you're already living in the NOC location, and you get to potentially work with dispatchers, or at the very least get to know people in NOC management, thus making it more likely you'll be selected for an interview when dispatcher positions open up. Every major does hiring a little differently of course, but some of them really like internal hires a lot (DL and WN come to mind) and all of them hire internal employees who haven't dispatched before. (A note about scheduling: I could never do the job myself for any extended period, but it is a good entry level NOC job and I know several people at my major that worked as schedulers before becoming dispatchers.)

I'd go for the one with the highest sign-up pay and the best sign-up benefits. Everything else is promises and fantasies.

AA has had atleast 5-7 internals in the last two classes. It may be best to just stay at your major. Keeping seniority, vacation and all the things including a higher salary than a regional dispatch wage.

Who really knows though. Dispatch is a lot of luck and timing. People above are entirely correct, you can risk being at that regional for much longer than you would like. If you really want to be in dispatch that would be my own personal recommendation. I love the job and would stick it out.

Back