Quartzsite, AZ

DE727UPS

Anyone here ever landed at the airstrip? It doesn't show on the sectional chart. Pretty cool quick stop to see on I-10 on the CA/AZ border.
20220206_123442.jpg

Was in the town last week while working out of Blythe airport. That town gets tons of rv park people in the summer. The pictured Lear 25B and the U-8 Seminole have been there for many years, along with the rest of the scrap planes on the west side of the strip.

When I was stationed in Yuma we would transite Quartzite on various road trips. I never realized there was a airstrip.

Was in the town last week while working out of Blythe airport. That town gets tons of rv park people in the summer. The pictured Lear 25B and the U-8 Seminole have been there for many years, along with the rest of the scrap planes on the west side of the strip.
I didn't explore much since it's AZ, open carry, and all. I was worried a sniper might be trained on me but it was on a Sunday, so let it go. Didn't see any other planes. Some hangers were down the runway but I didn't want to drive down there. Pretty cool spot. RV's everywhere in the general area and a few close to the airstrip. I'd rather be around there than Blythe. That place was a dump.

I didn't explore much since it's AZ, open carry, and all. I was worried a sniper might be trained on me but it was on a Sunday, so let it go. Didn't see any other planes. Some hangers were down the runway but I didn't want to drive down there. Pretty cool spot. RV's everywhere in the general area and a few close to the airstrip. I'd rather be around there than Blythe. That place was a dump.

Quartzite gets packed up with the giant RV park on the south side of I-10 there. Very cheap daily rates. I haven’t seen other operating planes there, unless some are in the hangar; just the carcasses of some scrapped ones in the junkyard west of the runway. Half the year there’s next to no one there, the other nearly half the year the population nearly quadruples in size.

Everytime I’m at BLH, there’s not another aircraft there. And yet, the airport has three instrument approach procedures.

I disagree. I had plenty of fun times at the Blythe Marina. The campsites had power and water connections. I had a tent, a little swamp cooler and a friend with a couple of Sea-Doos. We had lots of fun there.

I disagree. I had plenty of fun times at the Blythe Marina. The campsites had power and water connections. I had a tent, a little swamp cooler and a friend with a couple of Sea-Doos. We had lots of fun there.
Needles is where it's at

My long solo xc for my ppl in 99’ was SNA-BLH-PSP-SNA. My CFI said I had to get gas and make the refuel guy named Bubba sign my logbook as proof I was there. He literally looked like a bubba

Quartzite gets packed up with the giant RV park on the south side of I-10 there. Very cheap daily rates. I haven’t seen other operating planes there, unless some are in the hangar; just the carcasses of some scrapped ones in the junkyard west of the runway. Half the year there’s next to no one there, the other nearly half the year the population nearly quadruples in size.

Everytime I’m at BLH, there’s not another aircraft there. And yet, the airport has three instrument approach procedures.

I did a freight run into Blythe a few times back in the day. What an absolute worthless crap hole…

Never fly into Blythe. If you're there for anything other than playing in the river you're doing it wrong. Blythe can be a wonderful oasis if you do it right.

I did a freight run into Blythe a few times back in the day. What an absolute worthless crap hole…
I had a client in Blythe and went there several times over a 10 year period. A Fortune 500 company, employees came there for a promotion, two years later they’d go back to the real world. Imagine moving you wife a kids to Blythe for two years? The airport was a crap hole and the FBO would be clearly annoyed because I never bought his overpriced fuel. It‘s not like he ever got out of his chair for me.

Why would you name you city Blythe? Nothing to see, move on.

I had a client in Blythe and went there several times over a 10 year period. A Fortune 500 company, employees came there for a promotion, two years later they’d go back to the real world. Imagine moving you wife a kids to Blythe for two years? The airport was a crap hole and the FBO would be clearly annoyed because I never bought his overpriced fuel. It‘s not like he ever got out of his chair for me.

Why would you name you city Blythe? Nothing to see, move on.

I'm gonna guess mining industry?

I'm gonna guess mining industry?
Sort of: Sempra Energy has a massive natural gas pumping station there and two smaller pumping stations in Needles. They are pumping gas pipped in from the Dakota's south to Texas. Natural gas has no smell so it odorized there too.

Sort of: Sempra Energy has a massive natural gas pumping station there and two smaller pumping stations in Needles. They are pumping gas pipped in from the Dakota's south to Texas. Natural gas has no smell so it odorized there too.
Do they use something that smells like garlic like propane?

True, but all the SoCal power plants run on natural gas.
I know, so why are there codes that are requiring many new homes to be purely electric with no gas service? We, as an LA resident I'm part of the we, are apparently so inefficient with our power that they sometimes decide to shut it off. Might be a fire, might not, there is no recourse. Tell me why this is a good idea. And this is happening during a "housing shortage", they want more homes but make it more difficult to build and then complain and do nothing for the homeless other than shuffle them around so the Super Bowl fans won't witness or be bothered by them. This used to be a wonderful place to live. Our politicians have ensured unless you're one of their friends it's paradise lost.

Do they use something that smells like garlic like propane?
Mustard gas.

Or when arsenic is hydrolysed it makes arsine, which is another toxic gas that smells like garlic. Arsenic and acid are both used in mining.

Y'all make Blythe sound like Mos Eisley.

Back