Jetblue Tail Strike On Departure

Sorry, I don’t speak Gamerzdoodspeakz.

1643639454061.png

The last one

Wait a minute. Who sent a message to center? Why did the crew not know until they were told? And if they did know, why did they wait until center told them to decide to divert?
My guess is that they were going to ignore the strike (scabs!) and continue their planned flight. This is obvious because they climb to 310 in violation of the 10k restriction. They diverted ONLY because Center put it on the radio/tape.

My guess is that they were going to ignore the strike (scabs!) and continue their planned flight. This is obvious because they climb to 310 in violation of the 10k restriction. They diverted ONLY because Center put it on the radio/tape.
Stopping at 10,000 may not have been an option but doesn’t explain FL310. Is it possible the crew didn’t know about the tail strike?

HAYDEN, CO
YAMPA VALLEY (HDN)
TAKEOFF MINIMUMS AND (OBSTACLE) DEPARTURE PROCEDURES
AMDT 3 02JUL09 (09183) (FAA)
TAKEOFF MINIMUMS:
Rwy 10, std. w/ min. climb of 400' per NM to 12200, or 3200-3 for climb in visual conditions.
Rwy 28, std. w/ min. climb of 245' per NM to 9500, or 3200-3 for climb in visual conditions.
DEPARTURE PROCEDURE:
Rwy 10, climb on heading 147° to 12200 before proceeding on course.
Rwy 28, climb on heading 238° to 9500 before proceeding on course.
Rwys 10, 28, for climb in visual conditions: cross Yampa Valley airport at or above 9700 before proceeding on
course.
TAKEOFF OBSTACLE NOTES:
Rwy 10, tree 241' from DER, 420' right of centerline, 100' AGL/6699' MSL.
Tree 644' from DER, 340' left of centerline, 100' AGL/6699' MSL.
Multiple transmission towers, beginning 3606' from DER, left to right of centerline, up to 145' AGL/6745' MSL.
Terrain beginning 1714' from DER, 707' right of centerline, up to 6676' MSL.

Stopping at 10,000 may not have been an option but doesn’t explain FL310. Is it possible the crew didn’t know about the tail strike?

HAYDEN, CO
YAMPA VALLEY (HDN)
TAKEOFF MINIMUMS AND (OBSTACLE) DEPARTURE PROCEDURES
AMDT 3 02JUL09 (09183) (FAA)
TAKEOFF MINIMUMS:
Rwy 10, std. w/ min. climb of 400' per NM to 12200, or 3200-3 for climb in visual conditions.
Rwy 28, std. w/ min. climb of 245' per NM to 9500, or 3200-3 for climb in visual conditions.
DEPARTURE PROCEDURE:
Rwy 10, climb on heading 147° to 12200 before proceeding on course.
Rwy 28, climb on heading 238° to 9500 before proceeding on course.
Rwys 10, 28, for climb in visual conditions: cross Yampa Valley airport at or above 9700 before proceeding on
course.
TAKEOFF OBSTACLE NOTES:
Rwy 10, tree 241' from DER, 420' right of centerline, 100' AGL/6699' MSL.
Tree 644' from DER, 340' left of centerline, 100' AGL/6699' MSL.
Multiple transmission towers, beginning 3606' from DER, left to right of centerline, up to 145' AGL/6745' MSL.
Terrain beginning 1714' from DER, 707' right of centerline, up to 6676' MSL.
Good point on the altitude…..

Did you watch the video? NO way they didn’t feel THAT! And my bet is an FA told them as well.

Good point on the altitude…..

Did you watch the video? NO way they didn’t feel THAT! And my bet is an FA told them as well.
I did, but nothing in the video assures me it was that flight, that airport or that model of aircraft. I like to believe professional pilots would have diverted on their own after that kind of impact. Maybe I’m dreaming…

I did, but nothing in the video assures me it was that flight, that airport or that model of aircraft. I like to believe professional pilots would have diverted on their own after that kind of impact. Maybe I’m dreaming…

Isn't the video of the landing in Denver?

All points good @fholbert. However, I tend to believe that this video is associated with the air craft in this discussion.
The video was definitely a take off!

No traffic shows up on a display in the cockpit?
I'd assume if both airplanes had TCAS and it was working they would've been alerted. If both airplanes were equipped, the system was functional and someone was paying attention maybe this would not be an issue, but those are the sort of holes that sometimes seem to line up in the Swiss cheese model. I can see the traffic at an airport sitting in an airplane in a hangar oftentimes when I'm working on it. I don't know, if they decide to investigate at least both aircraft are available for inspection and they're not sifting through wreckage, unfortunately that also means they might not dig that deep. Time will tell.

Last edited:
TCAS alerts are inhibited on the ground and below certain altitude or if intruding aircraft is below a certain altitude.

They are still displayed on the screen, but you have to look at the screen.

TCAS alerts are inhibited on the ground and below certain altitude or if intruding aircraft is below a certain altitude.

Then what is that display for? It's not provided so it can be just ignored. And you shouldn't assume all TCAS systems work like the one you use.

I fly out of uncontrolled fields every day. I can’t imagine NOT checking that screen before goosing it. Oh well.

So it's up to the pilot to look at all of the availailable info displayed on the panel in the cockpit. Got it.

Should the crew on the ground have been looking "inside" ?

Or should the crew on the ground have been looking "outside"?

Then what is that display for? It's not provided so it can be just ignored. And you shouldn't assume all TCAS systems work like the one you use.
Except they do.

The display is for SA, there is a possibility you could miss a plane depending on what range the screen is set at.

Back