Skiles and Age 65+

Im gonna be a witch in church here, but I can’t for the life of me see why anyone would have any desire to work after age 45 let alone 65.

I absolutely loved flying for a living, but after 45 if it was possible I fully planned on being retired enough to only fly for fun or maybe do a gig in the summers. Other than health insurance, or if you owned your own business and got immense satisfaction from it why wouldn’t you want to tap out?

life is short - I can’t imagine anything worse than flying after 65. My dad is 64, he’s had a hard life… dude is tired. No thanks.

Im gonna be a witch in church here, but I can’t for the life of me see why anyone would have any desire to work after age 45 let alone 65.

I absolutely loved flying for a living, but after 45 if it was possible I fully planned on being retired enough to only fly for fun or maybe do a gig in the summers. Other than health insurance, or if you owned your own business and got immense satisfaction from it why wouldn’t you want to tap out?

life is short - I can’t imagine anything worse than flying after 65. My dad is 64, he’s had a hard life… dude is tired. No thanks.

I'd rather not have to work at all at, even at my current age of 38. But flying for a living sounds a lot easier than running a business.

Yea so if I had the money i'd retire tomorrow. I'm not quite sure how to make that work yet at 45 but sure.

Just checked: you can retire early at 62 and draw 70.42% of your nominal SSI benefit. You would not receive that payment before age 62.

People born in 1956 are 'posed to be retiring now for 100%.

Nothing altruistic, just selfishness, typical boomer.

It’s not our problem you didn’t manage your finances well and have alimony payments. You’ve had your time, move on.
Spoken like every other USAir pilot. I can't tell you how many times on the 757 we'd be going to Orlando out of Philly and have some 330 on the jumpseat. As soon as we'd clear 10, instantaneously, he'd lean forward to the guy in the left seat and they'd both start jabbering about how 67 was right around the corner and they'd be able to keep flying.

"Imma just sit here and eat my Rice Krispies and stare out the window. It's not my fault you guys didn't set up your 401k when you had the chance all the PIT reps sold your pension down the river."

The funny thing about that....theyll give up sex for five years but they wont give up the credit card debt or the car payment or the too big of house payment to accomplish the same goal.

"Live like no one else so later you can live like no one else" D Ramsey

You either have a huge nest egg, live incredibly cheap, or were making 7 figures.

Live incredibly cheaply.

Not really intentionally but my wife and I were living off her income and basically pocketing mine / investing it. In 12 more years it would have been relatively easy.

The biggest expense we had was travel and stuff for the kids, and we traveled really cheaply. Stayed in hostels, camped, etc.

The plan was either to work seasonally for fun, try to do something for my self, run an air taxi or something, or do something totally different? I don’t know. In a different life, but yah - we basically lived frugally unintentionally lol - I think beer might have been my biggest monthly expense.

but yeah, our bills are insanely low. When I got sick the first time, we lost everything, was down to $26 in checking lol. My wife went back to work to save our asses. When I got back to flying for two years or so we had adjusted to the lifestyle and we’re able to pocket pretty much everything. In that time, worked a lot and paid everything off just to get sick again and reset again lol. C’est la vie i suppose. No complaints, already back in career 2.0.

Last edited:
I got out a 60. No regrets. It was a 400K a year job but the schedules, QOL, and international covid restrictions, made it not worth it anymore. I do miss flying jets. Hope to figure out a way to do some contract stuff as a side gig. I'm low maintenance. Could live in a van down by the river. Get out as soon as you can and take steps to make that doable early in your career. Have zero to one wife and follow Dave Ramsey. That's it.

The funny thing about that....theyll give up sex for five years but they wont give up the credit card debt or the car payment or the too big of house payment to accomplish the same goal.

So dumb. If we lived in a dumpster, I'd still be giving my wife the business, and I wouldn't care. I lived the expensive life as a younger version of myself, in socal. It was doable but stressful. We didn't have a ton of fun money at the end of the day, and we certainly didn't have an emergency fund of any significance (let alone investments/assets/anything)...classically living paycheck to paycheck. But we had a cool pad in North country SD, and I had a pretty nice AMG (per the username). It wasn't really a keeping up with the Benjamins situation (I love German cars and we both liked living in a nice place, not because we thought it would make us look cool)......but we just had an uncomfortable debt/income ratio. Over the years, I learned to appreciate living below one's means. Still do. I could fly 3 days in my USNR side job in a month (which is less than I normally do) and pay my mortgage with that alone, and then cover probably all other bills save food, with a 4th day. No car payments or anything else. I don't think the young people, to include some of my friends, know how liberating the feeling is. I have no reason to try to impress anyone.....least of all with fancy possessions.

Last edited:
Back