Boutique doing Boutique things

That letter was painful to read. If that’s the quality of individual leading the average small airline, then it’s no wonder that airlines are just glorified money incinerators.

That said, the opinion of a FSDO means almost nothing, and the re-telling of what a FSDO might have said means even less. Until the Office of General Counsel at the FAA says your time doesn’t count, then it counts.

Yes, but some interprets are that the autopilot must remain off during that leg for the time to count. So if they have the exemption, but they’re not deferring autopilots, an FAA inspector could get a crazy notion.

That is maybe the dumbest thing I've heard in several months, and I didn't have Three Down and Locked on ignore back then.

I honestly have to side with the operator here. This sounds capricious and idiotic on the part of the FAA, despite any warts Boutique might have.
Capricious and idiotic is in their mission statement, isn't it?

You didn’t enjoy the part where he ranted about young men?
Young man, there's no need to feel down
I said, young man, pick yourself off the ground
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Oh I wasn't saying that you were! I was just dismayed that such an idiotic point of view would ever be even considered. But we're talking about the FAA - the people that went after Bob (effing) Hoover.

Not sure how closely most of JC follows the 135 world, but Boutique has had some... unfortunate developments lately.

It kicked off about ten days ago, when the Fargo FSDO -- which Boutique switched to last year -- informed management that Boutique's Pilot Development Program was not up to spec and that it should discontinue using First Officers. All were immediately furloughed, and those at outstations found themselves riding home in the back.

It ramped up today. This morning, the CEO released a letter he sent to the FAA protesting the decision. That's nice, but what the letter revealed -- and what pilots were not informed of previously -- is that the FSDO has also determined that all First Officers' flight time should be invalidated. The letter's attached, if you're the kind that enjoys watching spiders swirl around before being flushed down the drain.

As for Boutique's FOs... I don't know. I'm one of them (formerly), and I received the news about fifteen minutes before an interview with Skywest today. If it's accurate, 250 hours just evaporated from my logbook and I'm going to have to go back to trying to find an hour building job. That's turning out to be exceedingly difficult when you at the 1000+ hour range, because most low hour gigs don't want to hire people with such "high" time, given most head off to the airlines soon after.

Incidentally, if anyone knows of an opportunity, especially in Seattle or Denver, please let me know... because I'm kind of f'd. I've already lost two flight jobs due to COVID, but this latest turn... it's a rough one.

It is my "opinion" that even if the flying was "illegal" due to not having the OpSpec, that you can still log any leg where you were the sole manipulator as PIC, Per CFR 61.51. I'd argue that all day long. You were at the controls, you were rated catagory and class.

The FAA on multiple cases were never able to delete experience. They can pull ratings and certificates, but can not pull hours if logged appropriately.

For example, if a private pilot who is only rated to fly single engine airplanes decides to go out and steal a 747. If he manages to take off, and is flying solo, can he log PIC? Per 61.51 he can. Will he get his private pilot license pulled? Most likely! But can they make him delete the 1 hour of PIC time he has in it? I don't see how they can.

As far as logging the SIC flight time when you were NOT manipulating the controls. My "opinion" is that IF your company did NOT have the OpSpec, (or if it was not valid for some reason), then yes, you may not be able to log the flight time.
However It would seem ludicrous that the OpSpec gets pulled and the FAA states "oh, and by the way, your pilots can not log SIC time". If I was a pilot there and the company 'had' a Valid OpSpec. I am logging the SIC time!

It is my "opinion" that even if the flying was "illegal" due to not having the OpSpec, that you can still log any leg where you were the sole manipulator as PIC, Per CFR 61.51. I'd argue that all day long. You were at the controls, you were rated catagory and class.

The FAA on multiple cases were never able to delete experience. They can pull ratings and certificates, but can not pull hours if logged appropriately.

For example, if a private pilot who is only rated to fly single engine airplanes decides to go out and steal a 747. If he manages to take off, and is flying solo, can he log PIC? Per 61.51 he can. Will he get his private pilot license pulled? Most likely! But can they make him delete the 1 hour of PIC time he has in it? I don't see how they can.

As far as logging the SIC flight time when you were NOT manipulating the controls. My "opinion" is that IF your company did NOT have the OpSpec, (or if it was not valid for some reason), then yes, you may not be able to log the flight time.
However It would seem ludicrous that the OpSpec gets pulled and the FAA states "oh, and by the way, your pilots can not log SIC time". If I was a pilot there and the company 'had' a Valid OpSpec. I am logging the SIC time!
Maybe they can't "pull" the hours but they can not count them. And that goes for any.employer as well.

You can log whatever you want. But don't expect others that look at your logbook to agree with you.

Amazing FSDO's will spend their time going after an operator using 2 crew to be safe and force them not to, but they'll let Jerry fly over homes and populated areas despite numerous violations and safety hazards willingly posted on YouTube and do nothing about it.

Weird flex, but ok.
I feel like every time I see a story about a plane crashing into a house it’s always a cabin class twin Cessna.

Boris and Jordan,
Thank you for highlighting the point haha…
Professionals recognize those facts…amateurs do not :)
Jerrys hops in and go, WAHOO. Thats where the considerations begin and end.

Boris and Jordan,
Thank you for highlighting the point haha…
Professionals recognize those facts…amateurs do not :)
Jerrys hops in and go, WAHOO. Thats where the considerations begin and end.
Hell, I’m currently too scared to get into a 172 without fearing I’d at the very least bust some airspace and get in trouble, and at the worst stall the thing at 50 feet trying to flare and driving my spine through the top of my head. I’d have to venture a guess it’d take me several flights with a good CFI before I’d feel remotely comfortable.

I just joined this flying club in Carlsbad. They have a few planes in Oceanside and wanted to get checked out there. Was recommended to a CFI to do the checkout. I emailed her that the last plane I flew was a 767 and I haven't flown since May. Never heard back from her...

Back