Takeoff alternate and 121.197

If theres one thing about regional dispatch i dont miss, its that bloody flaps ad. Thankfully it was a rare day where you even needed a takeoff alt and my desks tended to be crj900 heavy.

As There is not a requirement to check the dry runway performance vs wet on a t/o altn.. I do not.
If they pop an engine or any other 7700 all regs are tossed. PIC can do whatever they need to land safely. NTSB/FAA can hash it out later.

Even if we’re at max 770,000lbs we can “land anywhere that we can take off from”.

Most run the numbers to check the Autobrake setting for the one or two engine return, but jettison is also an option, if its not time critical.

Obviously numbers will vary between types, but if you can Accelerate-Stop, the in most cases you should be able to Stop?

Even if we’re at max 770,000lbs we can “land anywhere that we can take off from”.

Most run the numbers to check the Autobrake setting for the one or two engine return, but jettison is also an option, if its not time critical.

Obviously numbers will vary between types, but if you can Accelerate-Stop, the in most cases you should be able to Stop?
It’s nice to know information under normal circumstances, but if you’re returning to field it’s either for an emergency or considered a non-emergency destination change.

If it’s the former, when you’re putting in your takeoff performance data, which abnormal situation do you select? I know in all of our AOMs there’s a ton of options.

My point is, from a legally limiting perspective, there’s no way to know the nature of the emergency or the performance penalties applicable. Thus, it’s only practical information for a destination change, which isn’t a problem.

It might be nice to know information if you do the leg work. In my experience crews request landing data via Aerodata/ACARS faster than I can send it to them anyway.

How has this topic gotten 5 pages long? This isn't a difficult concept. A takeoff alternate is an emergency airport. You're landing there regardless of the performance capability to do so. It doesn't matter if I'm over weight, I'm going down somewhere, and I'd rather that somewhere be a runway rather than a lake. You are only using a takeoff alternate in the event that you are unable to return to the dep airport.

Next everyone is gonna tell me they run performance for their ETOPS alternates also.

Landing overweight isn't even that big of a deal (although it can be). SOO just did it not that long ago in CVG after a RAT deployed after takeoff. Turned back and landed 160k over weight. Quick inspection and they were back out in an hour.

Next everyone is gonna tell me they run performance for their ETOPS alternates also.

All transport category aircraft are CAPABLE of landing at MTOW, it is a certification standard. The Captain is using their emergency authority to do so however.

We do run performance for our ETOPS airports. Yes our aircraft can fuel dump, yes it is asinine. No, I don't pay that much attention to it for if I am landing at an airport like PASY, PACD and so on, you're not landing in a normal configuration and the QRH is providing the landing performance data. I'm just filling the square and adding more needless remarks to the flight plan.

If theres one thing about regional dispatch i dont miss, its that bloody flaps ad. Thankfully it was a rare day where you even needed a takeoff alt and my desks tended to be crj900 heavy.
The flap AD was from when Bombardier made the flaps from this design and material. PlasticFlaps.
6356799_sd.jpg

Back