Furlough Estimates

I get that til retirement it’s a lot of money, but at what point does the money of taking first upgrade at a major and having an awful schedule outweigh cherry picking your schedule and still making more money than most people? Seems like an easy trade off for me.

Also highly dependent on your airline’s contract and reserve rules. Some bases/airplanes lines consistently go to the plug or reserve make it very easy to commute in day of.

Ive flown with the junior captains and the 20+yr widebody FOs and ultimately the main difference is some want/need to make the extra cash.

808 retirements in the next 10 years is about 28% of the list. So someone hired today would be looking at 20+ years to get to 60% on the list, junior capt territory.

VX hired tons of young folks and skews 10 ish years younger compared to eskimo. The chief pilot call today said hiring planned for next summer if things get better or pushed to 2023 if not.

View attachment 57994

Sobering. I’m only about 15 percent down that list. So right around 10-13 years....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sobering. I’m only about 15 percent down that list. So right around 10-13 years....
True, just hustle and make the money when you can. Moderate effort can gross ya $180k but it’d be nice to fly with your favorite captain every trip. For the junior ones moderate effort is $300k.

Plan for the worst (10-13 years) and hope for the the best.

True, just hustle and make the money when you can. Moderate effort can gross ya $180k but it’d be nice to fly with your favorite captain every trip. For the junior ones moderate effort is $300k.

Plan for the worst (10-13 years) and hope for the the best.

Not trying to start a thread drift here, but....

Does anyone else have the career plan to live off of FO pay after upgrade? A wise captain once told me that not allowing your fixed costs and monthly expenditures to exceed that of an FO of equal longevity is the way to go. That stuck, I now have shared that with my wife and she is on board. We both come from not much money so it’s easy to think that way for us, I know that can be relative to ones background. But 180k is a good amount of dosh, so the difference in captain pay could easily be saved and invested. Maybe a splurge here or there on one time payment purchases, like vacations or other memory creations for the family. I know that will be my plan, but just wondering if that’s anyone else’s and they’ve actually stuck to it through the years. I’m sure that nest egg would also help keep some of the BP down in situations that cause industry downturns as well, like the current one.

Last edited:

Does anyone else have the career plan to live off of FO pay after upgrade? A wise captain once told me that not allowing your fixed costs and monthly expenditures to exceed that of an FO of equal longevity is the way to go. That stuck, I now have shared that with my wife and she is on board. We both come from not much money so it’s easy to think that way for us, I know that can be relative to ones background. But 180k is a good amount of dosh, so the difference in captain pay could easily be saved and invested. Maybe a splurge here or there on one time payment purchases, like vacations or other memory creations for the family. I know that will be my plan, but just wondering if that’s anyone else’s and they’ve actually stuck to it through the years.

Yes and no. Ended up having a 2nd kid and upgraded to a 'Captain's House' in SoCal. Other than that, still drive my '99 Accord and our '14 minivan. To mitigate the more expensive mortgage, we have paid off all outstanding revolving debt and then have been saving like it's going out of style. I do the max for ESPP - that goes into savings, we saved up a emergency fund prior to our CBA. We save for any big expenses and don't buy anything on credit unless it's so low interest it's basically 'free' money. So, we are prepared just in case I get downgraded. You kind of expand your tastes and etc. with your income, but I try to keep the mindset that it could all change tomorrow.

So yeah, that's the goal. Budget and live at FO Min guarantee... But, there will always be expenses. No one saves enough for retirement. College funds. Whatever. I'd say, have a plan, stick to it as best as you can, but don't define your life by it. If you want something nice, and you can afford it, get it. Buy the fancy high thread count sheets, don't sleep on 200 thread count t-shirt material. You upgraded, you deserve it. :)

Does anyone else have the career plan to live off of FO pay after upgrade? A wise captain once told me that not allowing your fixed costs and monthly expenditures to exceed that of an FO of equal longevity is the way to go. That stuck, I now have shared that with my wife and she is on board. We both come from not much money so it’s easy to think that way for us, I know that can be relative to ones background. But 180k is a good amount of dosh, so the difference in captain pay could easily be saved and invested. Maybe a splurge here or there on one time payment purchases, like vacations or other memory creations for the family. I know that will be my plan, but just wondering if that’s anyone else’s and they’ve actually stuck to it through the years.

I’m like at least 30k less than that... and I work my ass off but I plan on living off of FO pay as a captain and sink whatever is left into retirement.

I’m like at least 30k less than that... and I work my ass off but I plan on living off of FO pay as a captain and sink whatever is left into retirement.
Well yeah that was me in 2019, 20 & 21 will be significantly less than that. But in our own case we just sold our OC house and moved up to the PNW. Houses are significantly cheaper up here and that’s enough to retire earlier without slaving away as much along the way.

Well yeah that was me in 2019, 20 & 21 will be significantly less than that. But in our own case we just sold our OC house and moved up to the PNW. Houses are significantly cheaper up here and that’s enough to retire earlier without slaving away as much along the way.

I’m excited to move to 4th year pay. That all being said our hourly rate plus 5% X1000 seems to be all I can usually manage.

I flew over 100 hrs in January with CANX makeup. That sucked and I hated every second of it but I doubt I’ll ever see 180K as an FO here

I’m excited to move to 4th year pay. That all being said our hourly rate plus 5% X1000 seems to be all I can usually manage.

I flew over 100 hrs in January with CANX makeup. That sucked and I hated every second of it but I doubt I’ll ever see 180K as an FO here
Was curious so I checked, I was on 4th yr pay so I’m sure you’ll see it soon, especially if you’re a line holder and pick up a trip once in a blue moon. I was including per diem and the profit sharing though too. If I remember though, you’ve said you own in a good area and have low-ish mortgage so that will def help your household buffer.

Was curious so I checked, I was on 4th yr pay so I’m sure you’ll see it soon, especially if you’re a line holder and pick up a trip once in a blue moon. I was including per diem and the profit sharing though too. If I remember though, you’ve said you own in a good area and have low-ish mortgage so that will def help your household buffer.

With the rent from the tenant, I’m paying 900$ a month for housing. I don’t include per diem or the bonus just the W2 number so it’s probably going to be close ish. I do occasionally pick up P2P from some friends who don’t work as much as I do. With the snow related issues and SE flying up up to almost 94 hrs already this month. I’m looking forward to the 20th for a paycheck for 103+ hours.

I still drive my 2005 Toyota Corolla to work and other than mountain bikes and reloading purchases I don’t spend a lot.

My plan is to drive off into the sunset in that same 2005 Corolla when retirement comes.

Depends on where you are in your career...

What I don't have sympathy is for regional FO'S wanting to cherry pick and get a good QOL making ok money cry and complain about junior captains or captains who are younger than them and how they get calls to move on and they don't. That is something I will not entertain
Yeah thoughts and prayers for that crowd; not only is the upgrade the only way to really make money, but most of us are going to have to be RJ captains at one point in our lives.

Waaaaaat? You moved to mothership land?!

Back