NoPolitics: Airplanes you like that no one else does

Yep. Middle fingers of both hands used to do the plugging, of course.
How about the, Merlin Swearingen, all models? Those things can wake the dead just sitting on the ramp.

Swearingen-Merlin-SA226-1090x500.jpg

I'd like to submit two more turbo props to the "loud as all get out!" category.

First the Antanov AN-26. I saw one that flew between Montego Bay and Cuba. The amount of noise it made was amazing! I found this video of one. Yes. It is a 4 man crew operating it.

My second submission is the Convair 580/5800. You not only hear this plane, you FEEL it when it's sitting on the ramp idling.

Who was flying the airplane in that AN-26 video ? Both those guys were grabbing the yoke (and fiddling with the pitch trim wheel) at the same time so often I couldn't tell. And why didn't one of the pilots have his hands on the throttles during T/O ?

And the "F/E" was just in the way most of the time. But the guy in the back had his Jepp manual open so all was not lost...I guess.

And they all looked grumpy. I can see why the F/O was grumpy...he was ancient. The upgrade time must be long at UII.

Last edited:
Who was flying the airplane in that AN-26 video ? Both those guys were grabbing the yoke (and fiddling with the pitch trim wheel) at the same time so often I couldn't tell. And why didn't one of the pilots have his hands on the throttles during T/O ?

And the "F/E" was just in the way most of the time. But the guy in the back had his Jepp manual open so all was not lost...I guess.

And they all looked grumpy. I can see why the F/O was grumpy...he was ancient. The upgrade time must be long at UII.

I think the guy in the right seat was in charge for some reason.

Meh. Unless it has Rolls-Royce N66 Cyclone thrust tunnels with bi-polar vectoring, I'm unimpressed.

I'm not sure I'd want to try and own a T-6 that was only 55 grand. That seems....a bit bargain basement, possibly for good reasons.....

If all you can afford is a $55,000 T-6 then you really can't afford a $55k T-6. Trust me.

The Bamboo Bomber was a neat airplane. I'm not sure how they did single engine wise. No feathering props, 245hp Jakes, loads of drag...losing on take-off couldn't have been a fun ride I wouldn't think.

Cessna T207

Big enough to fit two coffins in the back, giant cargo doors, stable in IMC, and just speedy enough to keep it halfway interesting.

Piper Cheyenne 400LS
IMG_0496.JPG

Not pretty, but it was effective.
Disclaimer: I have no knowledge of these other than fueling one that an aviation accident lawyer that we had as as a tenant owned when I was working line service. He liked to wear a flight suit and helmet and I never saw him with a passenger. Weird guy but a cool airplane.

Last edited:
Piper Cheyenne 400LS
View attachment 57812
Not pretty, but it was effective.
Disclaimer: I have no knowledge of these other than fueling one that an aviation accident lawyer that we had as as a tenant when I was working line service. He liked to wear a flight suit and helmet and I never saw him with a passenger. Weird guy but a cool airplane.

One of these lives at JYO. It is badass.

Back