NoPolitics: Airplanes you like that no one else does

I'll add, Partenavia P-68. All the brilliance of Italian engineering, the two 172 engines which seemed more problematic than the Italian parts, a cockpit made for the exact fit of a 5'6 average Italian person, "nonstop service to the scene of the crash" performance if you lost an engine, and if you flew the observer the priveledge of finding out what it felt like to be a plant in a greenhouse. But damn if it wasn't some easy multi engine time that was actually kind of fun.

aha see! I told you!

I'll give the CRJ-200 this, it is a great instrument platform.

But other than that there is nothing redeeming about it. It is cramped, underpowered, stuffy, uncomfortable, horribly unreliable, poorly designed, probably overweight and out the front-end on CG on every leg. And it's a ground-loving • on takeoff. I can think of exactly zero situations where, if you gave me the choice between flying an EMB-120 and flying the CL-65-2B19, I would choose the latter.

I forgot to add the Piaggio P-180
I always thought the thing was pretty cool, other than AvantAir leaving an elevator on the runway in Camarillo. But that's not really the Avanti's fault.

In no particular order. Yes, I'm a fan of Beech products. The Meyers 200 is just an all around bad ass airplane. View attachment 57149
That is a great-looking Twin Bonanza, speaking of very underrated airplanes. The much-purported fragility of the engines is manageable through appropriate throttle technique (aka do not be a bozo).

Not a particularly fast twin, but fast enough, and unlike the Baron where you're sitting on top of the other front-seater, you're comfortable while changing avgas into noise.

That is a great-looking Twin Bonanza, speaking of very underrated airplanes. The much-purported fragility of the engines is manageable through appropriate throttle technique (aka do not be a bozo).

Not a particularly fast twin, but fast enough, and unlike the Baron where you're sitting on top of the other front-seater, you're comfortable while changing avgas into noise.
You guys still have that thing?

I'll give the CRJ-200 this, it is a great instrument platform.

But other than that there is nothing redeeming about it. It is cramped, underpowered, stuffy, uncomfortable, horribly unreliable, poorly designed, probably overweight and out the front-end on CG on every leg. And it's a ground-loving • on takeoff. I can think of exactly zero situations where, if you gave me the choice between flying an EMB-120 and flying the CL-65-2B19, I would choose the latter.

I always thought the thing was pretty cool, other than AvantAir leaving an elevator on the runway in Camarillo. But that's not really the Avanti's fault.
All spot on, though I never got to fly the Manzier, my appreciation for flying regional junk rests on the Deuce. Though my comment was somewhat in jest, the Deuce was fun in it's own quirky, but friendly Canadian way.

You guys still have that thing?
Oh yeah. I doubt he’ll ever sell.

It’s more airplane than I ever want to own, really (I’d like one engine, a tail wheel and a radio that only works about 20% of the time, you see, for my days off), but it is a fantastic flying machine.

Oh yeah. I doubt he’ll ever sell.

It’s more airplane than I ever want to own, really (I’d like one engine, a tail wheel and a radio that only works about 20% of the time, you see, for my days off), but it is a fantastic flying machine.

I wonder if surgeons do amateur surgery on their off days.

“I don’t even want a scalpel. Just gimmie a shard of glass and some moonshine like the good ol days.”

All spot on, though I never got to fly the Manzier, my appreciation for flying regional junk rests on the Deuce. Though my comment was somewhat in jest, the Deuce was fun in it's own quirky, but friendly Canadian way.
It would disappoint always, but it would be VERY polite as it did so.

I'll add the PC-12, for some reason it seems to be under appreciated. Other than taking a short ride in one, haven't flown it so maybe those that have can chime in if my love from afar is all for the wrong reasons. Though I fully plan on it being my lottery bird when we win bigly.

I always thought the Cessna 303 Crusader looked cool. They didn't make many. Not sure if it had any issues or if it was just the 1980s lawsuits that killed piston twin production.
2AB5DCBE-2E15-4EA5-AA08-F839C57DB745.jpeg
681B9BC6-A2E3-4755-9C63-ABB08767C198.jpeg

Back