Furlough Estimates

No. Exactly none of them are doing that. They are all not sure how fast the recovery will be so they are working out the cheapest option to keep crews spooled up so they can be the first to restore capacity if there is a quick recovery.

so-much-THIS-fireworks.gif

No. Exactly none of them are doing that. They are all not sure how fast the recovery will be so they are working out the cheapest option to keep crews spooled up so they can be the first to restore capacity if there is a quick recovery.

Cheapest option? I thought the United guys said this covid agreement is actually a bit more costly as opposed to just furloughing their planned ~3,900 guys and leaving the TA as is.

Umm.... So I'm nuts to be willing to get paid 150K to work one week a month. Then make it up if I feel like it? My employer is understaffed so it's a moot point. But, yeah, I'd still go for option 4 if it was presented to me.

Yes. Your employer is making crap tons of money and is extremely healthy financially. There are some airlines that are likely going to face bankruptcy before this is all over, and may even cease to exist. That is why they’re desperate enough to pay people to not work.

I know you know that. It just kind of rubs me the wrong way when someone at a place like yours says that “sadly, that option is not available” for them.

Umm.... So I'm nuts to be willing to get paid 150K to work one week a month. Then make it up if I feel like it? My employer is understaffed so it's a moot point. But, yeah, I'd still go for option 4 if it was presented to me.

I doubt there'll be much open time though, really. So I don't think "making it up" is gonna be an option. But still, if you have a side hustle that's profitable, or a new baby on the way you'd like to actually see, it's a great option for plenty of people...

K.... how bout I say it this way. I work too much. I think it would be cool to promise to work half for half pay for a year. I'd do that in a heartbeat. I wish I had that option. I work for a company that is oddly successful but the CEO said she was going to "sweat the assets" to improve the stock price. I could give a rip. Pay me 35 hours and I'd be happy to work half as much. Is that so wrong?

I doubt there'll be much open time though, really. So I don't think "making it up" is gonna be an option. But still, if you have a side hustle that's profitable, or a new baby on the way you'd like to actually see, it's a great option for plenty of people...
There's tons of open time. Just not worth the effort if you don't live in base.

K.... how bout I say it this way. I work too much. I think it would be cool to promise to work half for half pay for a year. I'd do that in a heartbeat. I wish I had that option. I work for a company that is oddly successful but the CEO said she was going to "sweat the assets" to improve the stock price. I could give a rip. Pay me 35 hours and I'd be happy to work half as much. Is that so wrong?
Again while not as generous as some other airlines paid leave options, this is a blank line with 35 hrs min guarantee or amount flown, whichever is greater.

I think there can be a middle ground. I’ve been working my ass off, extremely thankful to have a stable job. That said, I’m a little jealous of how much home time everyone at real airlines have been getting lately. Would I trade my stability for it? No. Do I have a huge amount of empathy for friends staring down the furlough cannon? Absolutely, and I’ve been checking in regularly with them.

I think there can be a middle ground. I’ve been working my ass off, extremely thankful to have a stable job. That said, I’m a little jealous of how much home time everyone at real airlines have been getting lately. Would I trade my stability for it? No. Do I have a huge amount of empathy for friends staring down the furlough cannon? Absolutely, and I’ve been checking in regularly with them.

I wholeheartedly agree and echo this statement... I could certainly use a break but I am extremely thankful to have my job.

Back