121 future with vaccine

While the Cardassians are my favorite galactic baddies, they are really not to be emulated by the President.

1599519384274.png

In short our industry is purely at the mercy of the local, state and federal distancing requirements. In other words our jobs are dependent on how well the pandemic is handled. That doesn't really bode well for our jobs.

For a good portion of the domestic travel, that's true. But international travel is still close to non existent, and it has absolutely nothing to do with US travel restrictions.

I think a lot of Americans don't understand that almost every country has an outright ban on anyone with a US travel history, or severe restrictions at best. I don't know when that's going to go away, but my feeling is not until Spring 2021 at the earliest.

For a good portion of the domestic travel, that's true. But international travel is still close to non existent, and it has absolutely nothing to do with US travel restrictions.

I think a lot of Americans don't understand that almost every country has an outright ban on anyone with a US travel history, or severe restrictions at best. I don't know when that's going to go away, but my feeling is not until Spring 2021 at the earliest.

This is true.

I know what’s kicking our butt are people flying from, for example, from the US back to Asia. Generally they’ll fly from the US to somewhere like MEX and then back home because of the level of scrutiny hopping off a flight originating in the US.

I really wish we, as a nation, would turn off the Fox’s, the CNN’s, the MSNBC’s for a night and watch BBC, NHKWorld, France24 and Deutsch Welle to see what’s going on in the world and they also have better reporting on what’s going on stateside here without the celebrity news, “Dr. Oz says” and “man bites dog” stories.

This is true.

I know what’s kicking our butt are people flying from, for example, from the US back to Asia. Generally they’ll fly from the US to somewhere like MEX and then back home because of the level of scrutiny hopping off a flight originating in the US.

I really wish we, as a nation, would turn off the Fox’s, the CNN’s, the MSNBC’s for a night and watch BBC, NHKWorld, France24 and Deutsch Welle to see what’s going on in the world and they also have better reporting on what’s going on stateside here without the celebrity news, “Dr. Oz says” and “man bites dog” stories.
Are you against the free market? The market has spoken, people want entertainment, not news. Stop getting in the way of progress!

*Laughs in sucker*

I think there is already a very real and very large portion of the population getting “virus fatigue”.

Every day I go out and about my daily life. I see people who by all accounts are in the at-risk demographic out dining etc. I simply think the average American just doesn’t really care all that much anymore. Outside of the states with draconian lock-downs in place, people seem to be going about their lives. A lot of people I know also seem to be making travel plans this fall/winter.

Take me for instance... Operated hundreds of flights over this summer. Countless hotel rooms, terminals, dinners at restaurants etc. Even been out to bars a number of times. No Covid. And I live in a state that was experiencing a surge up until very recently.

Latest data from the CDC states the numbers pretty clearly. We dun messed up A A Ron. If you’re a normal healthy individual you don’t have much to worry about. And grandma really doesn’t either.

I think there is already a very real and very large portion of the population getting “virus fatigue”.

Every day I go out and about my daily life. I see people who by all accounts are in the at-risk demographic out dining etc. I simply think the average American just doesn’t really care all that much anymore. Outside of the states with draconian lock-downs in place, people seem to be going about their lives. A lot of people I know also seem to be making travel plans this fall/winter.

Take me for instance... Operated hundreds of flights over this summer. Countless hotel rooms, terminals, dinners at restaurants etc. Even been out to bars a number of times. No Covid. And I live in a state that was experiencing a surge up until very recently.

Latest data from the CDC states the numbers pretty clearly. We dun messed up A A Ron. If you’re a normal healthy individual you don’t have much to worry about. And grandma really doesn’t either.
Yup.

Nice Key and Peele reference. Deep cut.

I don't know anything about your virus fatigue, but it seems like people are on about something. I'd play it safe and hope for the best.

My remote control for the tv came in a bag at the hotel and the shower just shoots out purell at me. Do they think I'm a dirty person?

Good good.

Hey, has anyone noticed more purell bottles on walls than before? Feel like I'm going crazy here.

Yeah and something about toilet paper? Maybe it’s all those Taco Bell’s going up? Or the new 4 ply quilted is out? That’s good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bet there is a scientific term for it, but I'm feeling too lazy to look it up.
Let's call it "the period of waiting for the crap to happen while it actually doesn't happen". It's a very subjective number, everyone has it.
If the crap doesn't happen, you start wondering if the crap even exists, get out of wherever it was that you were hiding from the crap and go about your business.
Gotta be an evolutionary thing to ensure the survival of the species by giving it a drive to go explore for resources and whatnot.
Again, individual t-period can vary greatly and a thing to remember is that it's a game of chance, not designed to ensure the individual's survival, just that of the species.

Just an opinion, was thinking about the subject the other day. I don't think the t can be swayed much by the opinions of the others etc, just an individual parameter you happen to have in the config file. Prolly bell-shaped distribution and all that.

As the numbers stand now, you have a 1 in 50 chance of having a confirmed case. Not huge odds so I'd say you've been fortunate this far. Death isn't the only bad thing about corona. I'd also like to not be severely sick and take months to recover. There are a lot of people that are hospitalized that live.

Basically in May the U of W modeling of the amount of social distancing % of people moving around was spot on, more or less for the passenger numbers we are seeing now.

The only controlling factors are the social distancing mandates.

In short our industry is purely at the mercy of the local, state and federal distancing requirements. In other words our jobs are dependent on how well the pandemic is handled. That doesn't really bode well for our jobs.
...if State or Federal government decides to mandate social distancing again it is possible we will see another March/April/May crash by December 1.”

So if the pandemic is handled well (mandated social distancing in response to rising infection rates), airline travel takes a hit, is that what I’m reading?

Yeah I'm keenly aware that my US Passport is largely worthless. It sucks donkey balls. Considering my favorite place on earth is in Canada...

...if State or Federal government decides to mandate social distancing again it is possible we will see another March/April/May crash by December 1.”

So if the pandemic is handled well (mandated social distancing in response to rising infection rates), airline travel takes a hit, is that what I’m reading?

Yeah. This should have worked the first time but didn't because the local, state and federal responses were all so wildly different. We still drove the economy into the ground and killed airline travel but we also didn't contain the virus.

That's what I mean when I say I'm not hopeful.

I just went to the Hooters near KELP while on a layover. They had it set up for social distancing and it felt good to me. It was pretty busy and I felt safe. The hotel I'm at seems pretty busy and KSEA seemed pretty up to speed. I'm seeing a sway in behavior based on political bias. Seattle people wear their masks outside. I see it at my vacation rental in rural central WA and I just laugh. You guys go. Just keep renting my place. Northern Idaho and Texas it seems like they are more back to "normal" or at least trying to be. I'm happy to wear a mask until you stick a beer in my face. Then I'm COVID neutral....

King county where Seattle is right now is absolutely crushing it with regards to the virus. 5 cases per 100k residents, and the R0 is .91 which still seems not great, but as long as it's less than 1, it's gonna keep shrinking exponentially. 2.8% positive test rate. And we've now hired a huge volume of contact tracers that can keep up with the low cases. Other parts of the state, not so great particularly the colleges.
Wearing masks and being responsible works. Following the science works. It's not some coincidence that it's going away here and rising elsewhere.

Back