Why I Left an Airline Pilot Career

“My actual pilot career earnings until year 9, then projected.”

Seems like a bad place to leave.

“I played football all through college but decide to quit the day before the NFL draft.”

A078BCE4-912C-4590-98AE-5A80878C4287.jpeg

I remember when you were frustrated, but look at you now. It all worked out, flying purple and making more money than most people could dream of outside of aviation. Proud of you!

Yes, I definitely lucked out man. A year ago I was wondering if I had made the right decision, if you can believe that. Just goes to show what a crap shoot this industry is... And believe me, I'm staying paranoid and always keeping an eye on what to do next if something happens to this gig.

Sounds like in the end even you weren't satisfied with being a regional captain/lifer. I hear you though, but mainline is like the Joker in The Dark Knight, to the regionals. When he snaps the pool cue in half, throwing it on the floor and says I'm recruiting, but I only have one positive available. The look that the two give each other, they know only one of them is getting out alive. Obviously never been in a whipsaw yet but, the stress involved with that every few years when your contract is up for renewal must be incredible at least I'd imagine. Wondering if you're going to have a job, or if you do, if you have to take a pay cut to stay competitive against Mesa. I'm not sure if I'd want to have a career like that. Then there's Comair, ExpressJet and TransStates just to name a recent few that gotten eaten by the cycle. Those regional lifers making the six figures got comfortable, felt safe. Now unfortunately in this environment don't know what's next. IMO what I've learned from this place over the years is that the regionals aren't a place to hang your hat at and get comfortable. Make the paycheck match the name on the side of the plane and not be "So & So airline Connection Operated by BigSky Airlines.

That's true, I was not satisfied to be honest. But if I had not been able to move on, I very seriously doubt I would have left this crazy industry willingly. I was still MUCH happier at skywest than I ever was during my short 5 year engineering career.

Also, I was able to set my frustration with career growth aside when I was at a work. I really did have fun and enjoy the job when I was flying. Dealing with scheduling (on reserve) and pax were the only annoying parts.

I was surprised at how important this was to me when I was trying to decide what I wanted.

It is surprising- I fly ~100 hours per year, so it’s an odd mix. I’m sitting on max vacation accrued, but don’t really feel right taking vacations as I’m off so much. Parents that don’t know me, but see me around assume I’m unemployed. Despite all of that, I’m still tied to my phone 24/7 365. We’ve never had a pop up trip, but I feel like I should be ready still.

The people I work for simply live in a different economic world, which I will never fully understand. They are paying because they don’t want turn over, however I always have the nagging feeling that I’m over paid and need to do “more”

The ability to turn it off is probably the only thing I miss about the 121 job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is surprising- I fly ~100 hours per year, so it’s an odd mix. I’m sitting on max vacation accrued, but don’t really feel right taking vacations as I’m off so much. Parents that don’t know me, but see me around assume I’m unemployed. Despite all of that, I’m still tied to my phone 24/7 365. We’ve never had a pop up trip, but I feel like I should be ready still.

The people I work for simply live in a different economic world, which I will never fully understand. They are paying because they don’t want turn over, however I always have the nagging feeling that I’m over paid and need to do “more”

The ability to turn it off is probably the only thing I miss about the 121 job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in a job where I never get to turn off because the CEO could call me on the weekend with a question I need to go find an answer to.

That being said, today I'm grateful to be that important - particularly in a part of the industry that's likely to layoff soon. There's trade-offs for everything. The flip side of being always available is that I can also leave to go to something at my kids' school whenever I want - something my 8-5 colleagues can't do.

“I played football all through college but decide to quit the day before the NFL draft.”

View attachment 55004
That’s like saying the same for baseball players without acknowledging the fact some of those guys don’t make it to the major leagues. Even with a god awful two leg commute for a while where I’m at now, it was infinitely better and I was much happier in life than I was when I mad twice as much as an RJ captain. 5 on 2 off, gone more than I was now with more reserve days, always missing commutes on the last day because of inept and downright vengeful seeming scheduling practices. Finally get home in the evening on my first day off, do laundry, kiss the wife, then commute back to do it all over the next afternoon. Broke 6 figures before age 30 and I absolutely hated that stint of my career. If I knew that was “it” I’d probably have absolutely left.

And your scheduling probably wasn’t half as bad as some regionals.

No, they were generally great. But the problem with the airlines is that your time is never REALLY your time. The entire idea of junior manning and extensions is insane. Spending years on end working crappy schedules. The list goes on. It's just not a good lifestyle. I know some people disagree. I think they tend to be either single and adventurous taking HUGE advantage of their travel benefits, lonely with no social outlet other than work, or unhappily married, though.

View attachment 55004
I tell my 7th graders, "Don't worry about studying during high school, the NBA draft awaits you. It's a certainty."

If you've made it, congrats and good luck! We're all counting on you. If you haven't made it yet, don't clench your sphincter.

No, they were generally great. But the problem with the airlines is that your time is never REALLY your time. The entire idea of junior manning and extensions is insane. Spending years on end working crappy schedules. The list goes on. It's just not a good lifestyle. I know some people disagree. I think they tend to be either single and adventurous taking HUGE advantage of their travel benefits, lonely with no social outlet other than work, or unhappily married, though.
Or merely so accustomed to abuse (it only really hurts the first few times). :bounce:

Back