Why I Left an Airline Pilot Career

I know you paid your dues and you guys are probably in the same crap heap were all in now, but I feel like this comes across a little... possibly tone deaf coming from someone who made it to their dream airline. If things were to go sideways with my current employer for whatever reason, going back to my old airline is way down the list of things I’d do to put food on the table. The lifestyle was just starting to not be worth it for me.

I can't keep you Jordans straight, are you the Skywest or Endeavor guy? Simply curious: how many yrs as FO and how many as CA before the jump to mothership?

I will never understand people that quit this career.
I never try to talk anyone out of quitting it. Simply put, it isn’t for everyone.

If you don’t want (like really don’t want) to push an airliner around, then I’m not likely to try to talk you out of it.

Right now that decision is incredibly not up to me either. I like what I’ve got; the quitting, however temporarily, is highly involuntary. Figures, finally got to enjoy it (again, that is - the Brasilia was quite pleasant an existence too) and now it’s like “ha ha!”

I pulled the rip cord in 2012. No regrets.

Wife was 3 mo pregnant with twins, airline filed ch 11. I didn’t want that mess while dealing with two new kids- so I lined up a job at FSI, parlayed that into a corporate job that has been amazing. Finding work and advancing has never been an issue for me- so I’m not afraid to explore opportunities.

Not normal, but, I’m making more than I would be if I had stayed, and while I don’t have a fixed schedule, I generally have more time off.

The trade off is that I know my job has timeline- maybe another 10 years? At that point hopefully I can “retire” to something more recreational.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wife was 3 mo pregnant with twins, airline filed ch 11. I didn’t want that mess while dealing with two new kids- so I lined up a job at FSI, parlayed that into a corporate job that has been amazing.

Comair? Cus if so, your hand was forced.

I know you paid your dues and you guys are probably in the same crap heap were all in now, but I feel like this comes across a little... possibly tone deaf coming from someone who made it to their dream airline. If things were to go sideways with my current employer for whatever reason, going back to my old airline is way down the list of things I’d do to put food on the table. The lifestyle was just starting to not be worth it for me.
Ok.

I’m looking at CFI jobs. I’d go back to my regional but I’m pretty sure they ain’t hiring.

Wife was 3 mo pregnant with twins, airline filed ch 11. I didn’t want that mess while dealing with two new kids- so I lined up a job at FSI, parlayed that into a corporate job that has been amazing. Finding work and advancing has never been an issue for me- so I’m not afraid to explore opportunities.

Not normal, but, I’m making more than I would be if I had stayed, and while I don’t have a fixed schedule, I generally have more time off.

The trade off is that I know my job has timeline- maybe another 10 years? At that point hopefully I can “retire” to something more recreational.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*ragrets

I never try to talk anyone out of quitting it. Simply put, it isn’t for everyone.

If you don’t want (like really don’t want) to push an airliner around, then I’m not likely to try to talk you out of it.

Right now that decision is incredibly not up to me either. I like what I’ve got; the quitting, however temporarily, is highly involuntary. Figures, finally got to enjoy it (again, that is - the Brasilia was quite pleasant an existence too) and now it’s like “ha ha!”

Straight up, if there is something that gives me a better pay to qol ratio that also has a similar fun to asspain ratio, I'll quit flying to do it immediately. I don't know what else there is so far that does that for me, though.

If I had to do "boring" flying for terrible pay for 10 years to get the shot at good pay and boring flying... I don't know that I would do it.

This job CAN allow you to travel the world and have adventures and make decent money and it work a terrible schedule. But you're not doing that at Chatauqua.

You wanna make decent money, have blocks of time off and travel the world and do adventurous stuff? Go fly 2 on 2 off in Bethel and travel in your off times. You want a family life? Go work for a small local ma and pop 135 or fly medevac.

The way I figure it, of ALLLLLL the ATPs out there, only about 1 in 5 or so work for a Major. Those odds ain't great, plan your life accordingly.

I know I’m just at one of those slimy ACMI carriers, but I almost feel guilty for the paychecks I see every two weeks as a year two FO. I’ve seen two of the biggest paychecks I’ve ever received in the same span of three weeks that I didn’t even think about touching an airplane... My dad (non pilot) thinks I am milking the system some how lol.

If I get furloughed or company goes TU, I’ll work any job I have to to keep the lights on, but if I’m making <40k I’d rather not commute to a crash pad doing so.

Last edited:
Sometimes people get lucky and end up not having to suffer certain experiences, or the timing in their life wasn't great. Think commuting to a regional for 20K a year to sit in a crashpad for 5 days at a time to get 1 day off to do it again for 4 more days. If I looked at my pay and lifestyle at my first 135 Job in 2010 or when I was an intern at FSI in 2008 working for low pay and no schedule Id say I was crazy. But at the time it was a means to an end and I made do on the low pay. I wasn't married and didn't have any kids and there was a ton of "wow and new car smell" for a few years. It was good experience but if I did it with my current knowledge and living standards, yeah, I would hate it.

This is my third time actually trying to make this a career. I don't know if my identity is tied up with being an airline pilot. But its what I've wanted to do my entire life and now at 44, I'm no twenty-something fortunate enough to be eyeing a 30-35 year career. I've only got 20 yrs. left to make this a career. The current situation in the industry has me really worried about another lost decade. That with my age, not sure I can afford it. I think that if I get to a regional and can only be a regional captain. And not attain a career position at an LCC, ULCC, ACMI, or even the pipedream of a legacy. I'd be depressed, maybe even clinically. Especially after just dropping almost $75k in training last year.

I'm not Liam Neisen. I don't have too many skill sets. I could make my second interest in psychology/social work a career. But that would involve going back to school and getting my Masters and Ph.D and that's another $70k just to make $55k and well, I'm just too old and already saddled with a lot of debt from university and now flight school. I can't take on anymore. So, yeah... this ummm, it HAS to work out.

This is my third time actually trying to make this a career. I don't know if my identity is tied up with being an airline pilot. But its what I've wanted to do my entire life and now at 44, I'm no twenty-something fortunate enough to be eyeing a 30-35 year career. I've only got 20 yrs. left to make this a career. The current situation in the industry has me really worried about another lost decade. That with my age, not sure I can afford it. I think that if I get to a regional and can only be a regional captain. And not attain a career position at an LCC, ULCC, ACMI, or even the pipedream of a legacy. I'd be depressed, maybe even clinically. Especially after just dropping almost $75k in training last year.

I'm not Liam Neisen. I don't have too many skill sets. I could make my second interest in psychology/social work a career. But that would involve going back to school and getting my Masters and Ph.D and that's another $70k just to make $55k and well, I'm just too old and already saddled with a lot of debt from university and now flight school. I can't take on anymore. So, yeah... this ummm, it HAS to work out.

Don’t give up hope man, you’ve networked well on here. You’re a level headed dude who has worked very hard to get where you’re at.

Give me a pm. If you don’t mind a unique first job I could see if it’s still available for you, requires flying in Baltimore in a Cessna 337 and yes working with the police... I haven’t talked with my contact since Covid, but I could reach out..

Being a regional CA isn't a bad gig. I was driving to work, had a decent amount of days off, and was clearing over $100k without picking up anything extra. I liked the people I worked with quite a bit, and was treated fairly by my company.

However, I was extremely frustrated my last year or two, as I was trying everything I could to move on with seemingly no result. Fortunately that did eventually change, but if it didn't then I don't know if could have ever accepted that and remain satisfied with the career.

Being a regional CA isn't a bad gig. I was driving to work, had a decent amount of days off, and was clearing over $100k without picking up anything extra. I liked the people I worked with quite a bit, and was treated fairly by my company.

However, I was extremely frustrated my last year or two, as I was trying everything I could to move on with seemingly no result. Fortunately that did eventually change, but if it didn't then I don't know if could have ever accepted that and remain satisfied with the career.

I remember when you were frustrated, but look at you now. It all worked out, flying purple and making more money than most people could dream of outside of aviation. Proud of you!

However, I was extremely frustrated my last year or two, as I was trying everything I could to move on with seemingly no result. Fortunately, that did eventually change, but if it didn't then I don't know if could have ever accepted that and remain satisfied with the career.

Sounds like in the end even you weren't satisfied with being a regional captain/lifer. I hear you though, but mainline is like the Joker in The Dark Knight, to the regionals. When he snaps the pool cue in half, throwing it on the floor and says I'm recruiting, but I only have one positive available. The look that the two give each other, they know only one of them is getting out alive. Obviously never been in a whipsaw yet but, the stress involved with that every few years when your contract is up for renewal must be incredible at least I'd imagine. Wondering if you're going to have a job, or if you do, if you have to take a pay cut to stay competitive against Mesa. I'm not sure if I'd want to have a career like that. Then there's Comair, ExpressJet and TransStates just to name a recent few that gotten eaten by the cycle. Those regional lifers making the six figures got comfortable, felt safe. Now unfortunately in this environment don't know what's next. IMO what I've learned from this place over the years is that the regionals aren't a place to hang your hat at and get comfortable. Make the paycheck match the name on the side of the plane and not be "So & So airline Connection Operated by BigSky Airlines.

Don’t give up hope man, you’ve networked well on here. You’re a level headed dude who has worked very hard to get where you’re at.

Give me a pm. If you don’t mind a unique first job I could see if it’s still available for you, requires flying in Baltimore in a Cessna 337 and yes working with the police... I haven’t talked with my contact since Covid, but I could reach out..

Not giving up. Just a little worried about the future. I went all-in when I started flight school, hoping that there would be a career for me when I'm ready. I can afford the bills I have now, but I can't take on any more debt like going back to school in-case aviation doesn't pan out. So, I'm in a corner. This just has to work out. I try not to get stressed out about things out of my control. So my stress level is pretty low to moderate about it. The things in my control are starting my CMEL and starting my CFI/CFII thereafter. But the unknown element though is. Would my planning today for tomorrow be ready when tomorrow comes. Whatever tomorrow looks like.

If I had to do "boring" flying for terrible pay for 10 years to get the shot at good pay and boring flying... I don't know that I would do it.
Yeah. Like it was fun on occasion and you still get to fly an airplane (including one I thought was jam up cool, the E-jet), but 4 days on, 2 days off ad infinitum gets real old real fast, and you look at the check and go “that’s all? WTF.” I had a brief respite on short call after I upgraded, ironically, because I could play that system fairly well, and did, and lived close. But it got to be less fun when we had single-digit coverage, and so on. 90 hours on reserve versus a required minimum line value of 95 where the sick button is the drop button. Hooray. This is _amazing_ :sarcasm:

Then you do all that, get a job you actually rather like that actually pays you a more than decent living, and you can even control your schedule and, well, you know the rest.

Plus you don’t take your work home with you!

The big thing for me was not having to so much as have my phone turned on unless it was the first couple months I spent on reserve. In my five year lead up to 121 doing 91, you had to be "tuned in" constantly in case the boss "needed" a flight somewhere. At my airline, your schedule was set in stone unless YOU wanted to change it.

Since I started this thread, I should add my two-cents on salary from a non-commercial pilot perspective.

I had a corporate job with my last airport that was a 10 out of 10 on the adventure and excitement scale, and also on the pay scale. Last minute business class travel to Amsterdam to have dinner with tourism folks. Hosting dignitaries and local celebrities. Five hour dinners in Barcelona on the company dime.. A job everyone was fascinated by for an airport that was so popular, it was like working for a sports team. Cleared $145k with my bonus with astounding benefits and enough frequent flyer miles for my family and I to travel internationally once a year, or domestically a couple times.

But ... I eventually rose to the level in my organization where it was no longer good for me. I have a non-disparagement agreement, so I can't give specifics, only to say that the job was wearing on my health and family relations. When my then six-year old got mad one day and said "daddy always misses everything important" I was done.

So I picked up and moved my family for a job at a smaller, less prestigious airport. My salary was only slightly less, but my wife went part-time with her firm, and my benefits and extras went to crap. I have no travel budget now, and have had to pay out of pocket for a lot of the work related subscriptions I would have expensed previously. No one here gives a damn that I work for this airport, and I'm in an organization that's noticeably more "government" than my last shop (and not in a good way).

That being said, I'm home with my kids, and we have a great quality of life, even with a 30% reduction in income between us. The things that made my last job so exciting were also the things that made it stressful, if that makes any sense. I compare it to giving up blow (which I've never tried, but I like the analogy). Do I miss it? Absolutely. Was it good for me? Absolutely not.

Get familiar with the concept of point of diminishing returns. At one point at my last shop, I commented to my boss that I didn't care that salaries might be frozen because no additional money was going to substantially improve my life. That's an impossible concept to understand until you've reached the point of diminishing returns, but my boss' job paid an additional $100K over what I made, and it flat out wasn't worth it. If you lived fat dumb and happy on $110K in regional Captain salary, I'd say taking a huge QOL cut at the chance of making $250K isn't going to give you 2.5x the happiness. On the flip side, I know plenty of folks who adjust their lifestyle to their salary, and clear $500K a year and are still over-extended.

Last edited:
Since I started this thread, I should add my two-cents on salary from a non-commercial pilot perspective.

I had a corporate job with my last airport that was a 10 out of 10 on the adventure and excitement scale, and also on the pay scale. Last minute business class travel to Amsterdam to have dinner with tourism folks. Hosting dignitaries and local celebrities. Five hour dinners in Barcelona on the company dime.. A job everyone was fascinated by for an airport that was so popular, it was like working for a sports team. Cleared $145k with my bonus with astounding benefits and enough frequent flyer miles for my family and I to travel internationally once a year, or domestically a couple times.

But ... I eventually rose to the level in my organization where it was no longer good for me. I have a non-disparagement agreement, so I can't give specifics, only to say that the job was wearing on my health and family relations. When my then six-year old got mad one day and said "daddy always misses everything important" I was done.

So I picked up and moved my family for a job at a smaller, less prestigious airport. My salary was only slightly less, but my wife went part-time with her firm, and my benefits and extras went to crap. I have no travel budget now, and have had to pay out of pocket for a lot of the work related subscriptions I would have expensed previously. No one here gives a damn that I work for this airport, and I'm in an organization that's noticeably more "government" than my last shop (and not in a good way).

That being said, I'm home with my kids, and we have a great quality of life, even with a 30% reduction in income between us. The things that made my last job so exciting were also the things that made it stressful, if that makes any sense. I compare it to giving up blow (which I've never tried, but I like the analogy). Do I miss it? Absolutely. Was it good for me? Absolutely not.

Get familiar with the concept of point of diminishing returns. At one point at my last shop, I commented to my boss that I didn't care that salaries might be frozen because no additional money was going to substantially improve my life. That's an impossible concept to understand until you've reached the point of diminishing returns, but my boss' job paid an additional $100K over what I made, and it flat out wasn't worth it. If you lived fat dumb and happy on $110K in regional Captain salary, I'd say taking a huge QOL cut at the chance of making $250K isn't going to give you 2.5x the happiness. On the flip side, I know plenty of folks who adjust their lifestyle to their salary, and clear $500K a year and are still over-extended.

I edited this to emphasize that I've never tried blow - just like the analogy :D

Back