WXDispatch

Hi everyone, I used to work for a small charter carrier and got laid off back in March. I was still very much so at the beginning stages of my dispatch career (where you have garbage poverty wages), and I'm wondering what I should expect with OAI? I have student loans and need to replace an older car and I'm wondering if any of this would be possible on their wages, if there are any benefits offered, and what the work environment would be like.

Hi everyone, I used to work for a small charter carrier and got laid off back in March. I was still very much so at the beginning stages of my dispatch career (where you have garbage poverty wages), and I'm wondering what I should expect with OAI? I have student loans and need to replace an older car and I'm wondering if any of this would be possible on their wages, if there are any benefits offered, and what the work environment would be like.

If OAI offered you a job, take it. There aren't many places hiring right now and there is the possibility many won't hire for years. OAI does ETOPS flying. The experience gained will help you when hiring at majors or anywhere else does start again. I don't know their starting pay but being in TUL will help given the lower COL.

Given the current hiring environment, I would put work environment low on the list of priorities. You don't have many options. Take what you can get before the flood of furloughs hit the market. Your career could be set back a decade if you pass up opportunities now. If things were to suddenly change and turn around, you can always change jobs later if you don't like things at OAI.

If i were you, I would jump at the opportunity to work for a place like Omni right now, considering the current market and the outlook on hiring in the next year, it's probably your best bet. Pay for Tulsa doesn't seem all that bad(whole lot better than any regional) and not to mention you'll get some good international/heavy jet experience. It won't be all that different from your last 121S carrier.

Unfortunately aviation is one of those industries where you have to "pay your dues" so to speak with experience before any real money starts to come in. Getting a job at a 121 supplemental that pays well and has international/ETOPS is going to position you well for a major down the road.

Not sure if they're still looking at resumes, but I know (phone) interviews have started, and people should find out if they're being flown in next week.

Tulsa has a pretty low cost of living as well, I believe...always good to keep in mind. Starting pay at Alaska or Hawaiian might look all right until you consider where the office is...
Everyone I know at Alaska lives comfortably.

Has anyone on here heard any update with this job?
I had two over the phone interviews I thought I had done decently well in, but I haven't heard anything back.

Last edited:
Has anyone on here heard any update with this job?
I had two over the phone interviews I thought I had done decently well in, but I haven't heard anything back.

They may have slowed down their hiring due to the pandemic. At any rate, if you have a contact with them, it's OK to reach out and see if they are still hiring or if the positions have already been filled. I did this with my major job, and the interviewer explained they couldn't hire as many as they had hoped, but they were hoping to have another class shortly...they did, and I was in that class.

Back