Elite Airways kicked out of their heaviest scheduled route

FloridaLarry

The city of Vero Beach (FL) kicked Elite Airtways out of the City-operated airport (VRB) last night. The vote came out of frustration that Elite hadn't paid a dollar on their rent & fees since January, which had climbed to $34,924.24 as of April 1st.

This comes after several months of frustration between the two. Successful passenger levels had kicked the airport into a higher bracket with the State of Florida, meaning that the state's percentage of improvements was reduced seriously. Appeals had produced a three-year phase-in of the lower reimbursements, and discussions continued to find a better solution. Last month, a proposal by the airport's board to end Elite's contract with the City over the unpaid bills failed in the City Council.

Elite had flown from Vero Beach to Newark, their most heavily-travelled route, since 2015. Service on that route had been halted temporarily due to the Covid-19 epicenter in New York-New Jersey. Other destinations had included Portland ME and Asheville NC, some seasonal.

Elite's President, John Pearsall, said this would lead to furloughs. Elite's two-county workforce was about 240, since much of their operational management, including crew bases, was in Melbourne, FL on and near MLB. 41 miles north.

A long long time ago I worked with the guy who runs that outfit. I didn't think much of him then, and while this business enviornment is not his fault, a lot of people and bills will not be paid. My guess is that there won't be an Elite Airways soon. Those who do business with him and his operation always seem to come up on the losing end of the deal. He talks a good game but that's about it.

They fly thr 200? I know the callsign but I def don’t remember 15 flights a day. More like 2.
It’s CRJ’s for sure I just don’t know which ones. I couldn’t even tell you where they park in EWR either. I can’t recall seeing them but there are plenty of gates hidden from my normal taxi path.

Plane Spotter.net ? anyway, really great website with pretty good info linking serial numbers, fleet's and a lot more (with pics).

They have 9ish planes, 2 CRJ700's and 7 200's? something like that. Too lazy to go back and look from this morning.

Ive seen them with a 200 in EWR. Hopefully those effected find gainful employment or recall soon.

The VRB-EWK service is primarily CRJ-200, due to aircraft servicing equipment at VRB. Uhhh-make that 'was.'

The 700s are ex-Luftwaffe, still had the German language on the tray-tables when I last flew Elite.

The charter side of Elite has always been larger. Primarily NASCAR and sports teams. Who are staying home, also.

I fear that they are another casualty, both of Corona and running out of money. You can only rob Peter to pay Paul when Ol' Pete has cash.

Sheltering-in-place must have caused brain fade. You're right.

Luftwaffe woulda been more exciting!

in other news their A350 is bad ass

90238077_2296381437333397_4672544403636617216_o.jpg

Back