Airways Realignment + More furloughs

I'm sure they're just waiting to deploy an armada of 90-120 seat "RJs" to pick up the slack.

Okay so who are the ones losing the other 50 jobs? The use of the word approximately is being thrown around a lot, but approximately 600 + approximately 200 + approximately 150 more approximately equals 950 than 1000..... so which employee group is going to get additional cuts?

Re: US Airways to Slash 1,000 Jobs

When the dust settles would somebody let me know if 1/18/1999 on the east side would have been safe? I'm morbidly curious.

Is anyone ever safe at US.

For now yes:
165 East, back to about 8/99

35 West, back to about 3/04

Ah, so had I gone back i'd likely be spending my days in a crashpad near PHL hanging onto Group 2 by the skin of my teeth. No regrets.

Ah, so had I gone back i'd likely be spending my days in a crashpad near PHL hanging onto Group 2 by the skin of my teeth. No regrets.

You'd probably not even be able to hold Group 2. More than likely you'd be on the 190 doing 6 legs a day.

Sort of like a regional. :)

You'd probably not even be able to hold Group 2. More than likely you'd be on the 190 doing 6 legs a day, waiting for your plane to be sold out from underneath you.

Sort of like a regional. :)

Maybe so. I rarely second guess my decision not to go back. Occasionally though I wonder if I made the right choice. I feel bad for some of my peers who are facing their second furlough in a tumultuous decade. Ten years... two furloughs, bankruptcy, merger, paycuts... It must be a miserable place to be these days.

How do the flight schools still entice people into this profession?

Joking? It's like taking candy from an (emotional) cripple. Take a gander at the "ATP-for-121" threads or the Training forum and watch the total break with reality. The next generation of pilots will be the same dudes who dive in to the shallow end and break their necks because It Can't Happen To Them.

I feel bad for some of my peers who are facing their second furlough in a tumultuous decade.

They might just be happy that it finally happened. I would rather it just happen then be on the low end of the list wondering when it will hit.

I heard from a mainline FA that rumor over there is USAir East might go to AA, and the West may go to CAL via mergers.

Of course. Flight attendants are the nexus of all reliable information. Every strategic corporate decision has to be run by them before it is executed.

It MUST be true.

Is anyone ever safe at US.

For now yes:
165 East, back to about 8/99

35 West, back to about 3/04

Maybe the Westies will shut up now and both sides will see how they both have been screwed over, over the years... And thus its time just to make one pilot group and MOVE on.... :) Novel concept perahps....

Maybe the Westies will shut up now and both sides will see how they both have been screwed over, over the years... And thus its time just to make one pilot group and MOVE on.... :) Novel concept perahps....

There has always been a battle. Allegheny guys screwed the Mohawk guys. The Piedmont guys felt screwed by USAir guys. Empire vs. Piedmont. The Shuttle guys were given artificial seniority. The PSA guys were angry because their company was dismantled leaving a vacuum on the west coast. The furloughees were recalled into Metrojet leaving newhires to fill 767 IRO slots...

West Vs. East is just the latest chapter in the story of a sophomoric pilot group that was never capable of seeing the forest for the trees.

I heard from a mainline FA that rumor over there is USAir East might go to AA, and the West may go to CAL via mergers.

That rumor has been around for months. Doug Parker actually denied it in a state of the airline speech last week. However, in the last state of the airline speech he said there were no plans to sell the 190s and they were done downsizing and closing bases.

Of course. Flight attendants are the nexus of all reliable information. Every strategic corporate decision has to be run by them before it is executed.

It MUST be true.

Right up there with mechanics.

"dude... I heard we got manuals for a CFM56 engine... we're getting airbuses!!!"

Maybe so. I rarely second guess my decision not to go back. Occasionally though I wonder if I made the right choice. I feel bad for some of my peers who are facing their second furlough in a tumultuous decade. Ten years... two furloughs, bankruptcy, merger, paycuts... It must be a miserable place to be these days.

There's no need to second guess Zap. You're far better off staying away from USAirways. I was an 89 hire and only one person I know went back. We all have better jobs and weren't going to make the same mistake twice. The only reason that many of us went back in 98 was because of the pension ( best in the industry at 65% of FAE ). Once the pension was eliminated the alure of going back disappeared.

Typhoonpilot

Back