Speaking of Southwest - July 2019 Hiring

Oh man! It looks like I misspoke there...what I intended to say was I'll be OUT OF TOWN maybe 30% of the time. That being said, it looks like that statement is still incorrect. This is only a short term scenario. We plan on moving to Dallas in a couple of years. I appreciate the feedback!

Attachments

• 24c0237d9f330e31e11b7d4c781fabcb--industrial-engineering-math-memes.jpg
    24c0237d9f330e31e11b7d4c781fabcb--industrial-engineering-math-memes.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 48
Is that what they call new dxers in majors? "Reserves"?
Every airline has a certain number of reserve lines where your schedule will changed from the one you bid in order to cover operational needs. At some airlines they allow anyone to bud those lines, at Southwest it's the bottom 20% of dispatchers.

Additionally, the scheduling “team” seems to really enjoy giving you 6 on followed by 1 day off followed by 5 more on. They take every advantage to only give you a 1 day break. It is very rare to get anything close to the 6/3/6/3/6/6 while on reserve. the small benefit to this is that by September/October through the end of the year they end up having to cut back your schedule to 15 or 16 scheduled days each month so they don’t put you over.

Additionally, the scheduling “team” seems to really enjoy giving you 6 on followed by 1 day off followed by 5 more on. They take every advantage to only give you a 1 day break. It is very rare to get anything close to the 6/3/6/3/6/6 while on reserve. the small benefit to this is that by September/October through the end of the year they end up having to cut back your schedule to 15 or 16 scheduled days each month so they don’t put you over.

At what point can you do 7/7 or are able to swap schedules?

At WN? The schedule does not line up to do either of those things. American’s rotation makes it possible to do 8 on 7 off if you buddy bid with someone and I think Spirit has a schedule that makes it possible to buddy bid for the year to achieve 7/7 but if you’re coming to WN be prepared to spend a majority of your time ON and less of your time off.

At WN? The schedule does not line up to do either of those things. American’s rotation makes it possible to do 8 on 7 off if you buddy bid with someone and I think Spirit has a schedule that makes it possible to buddy bid for the year to achieve 7/7 but if you’re coming to WN be prepared to spend a majority of your time ON and less of your time off.

so there aren't opportunities to adjust your schedule? (I mean obviously I'm sure there are but it doesn't sound very flexible the way you speak of it)

so there aren't opportunities to adjust your schedule? (I mean obviously I'm sure there are but it doesn't sound very flexible the way you speak of it)
Oh you can trade for sure. But scheduling at any major won’t be exceptionally flexible at first, WN is no different.

Anyone know if the next posting will be cancelled now that the MAX is going to be out for A LOT longer with Boeing's new timeline? An insider told me a couple months ago that they were planning a posting in March or April. Can't imagine they'll keep hiring so much unless there are dozens of retirements happening.

Based on rumors and hearsay, they are still expecting a large number of senior guys to retire when the new software launches, and if they decide to do a mixed fleet like another rumor suggested, I imagine they'll need to backfill some for that too.

If anything the future postings might get delayed or pushed back.

Anyone know if the next posting will be cancelled now that the MAX is going to be out for A LOT longer with Boeing's new timeline? An insider told me a couple months ago that they were planning a posting in March or April. Can't imagine they'll keep hiring so much unless there are dozens of retirements happening.
In addition to what Thunderbird said, there will most likely be one more class of 20 once the MAX comes back into service. That timeline is all a guessing game at this point. However, I would expect a posting for another class once that happens.
And, as Thunderbird said, there are some retirements expected once the new flight planning software gets closer to deployment. Those retirements should justify yet another class.
If I remember correctly, with last July’s posting, they were ramping up for 80 new DX’ers to help with the MAX deliveries and the retirements due to the software launch.
So far, they’ve had a class of 18, 19 (started this Monday), and 20 (starting in March? Already hired/accounted for).
Based on those numbers, there’s room for at least one more class of 20 for them to get closer to their intended 80.

I think the March class that was hired is pushed back to April now (someone correct me if that is wrong) and Im starting to think the next posting that was supposed to come out late spring early summer might not happen until or if the MAX flies again.

people like to say that a new flight planning software will create some kind of mass retirement movement but honestly I don’t see it. The job isn’t THAT hard and the pay/benefits pretty d good. There are a few senior folks, but don’t think there’s more than about 3-4 ish retirements planned this year and can’t see how a new (faster) flight planning software is going to make a bunch of people say “ah fk it I’m out”

I think the March class that was hired is pushed back to April now (someone correct me if that is wrong) and Im starting to think the next posting that was supposed to come out late spring early summer might not happen until or if the MAX flies again.

people like to say that a new flight planning software will create some kind of mass retirement movement but honestly I don’t see it. The job isn’t THAT hard and the pay/benefits pretty d good. There are a few senior folks, but don’t think there’s more than about 3-4 ish retirements planned this year and can’t see how a new (faster) flight planning software is going to make a bunch of people say “ah fk it I’m out”
Do you really think there’s a chance it won’t fly again tho? I would put that possibility at 0%. I will say that there is also a 0% that it will resume passenger service in 2020 with all the logistics airlines will have to figure out if it does actually get signed off in July.

If it makes July, I’d give it at least a 50% chance of being back by Christmas in some form. Maybe not fully, but at least a few planes. They won’t want to miss out on that money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back