New Dispatcher FAQ

Besides what I learned how should I prepare for my first interview?

Beyond the basics like taking a shower, wearing a shirt and tie and showing up to the right place, be ready for HR questions, don't be afraid to talk about mistakes you made and how you learned from them, show enthusiasm for the job, the airline you want to work and the field in general. LEARN THINGS ABOUT THE AIRLINE YOU WANT TO INTERVIEW FOR. You're going to want to be in the know on new exciting developments as well as the general body of work that the airline does. If you are going to interview at, for example, Endeavor, It probably behooves you to know where they're big, who they fly for, that Delta just allocated more airplanes their way. Show a desire to learn, to be a part of the team and all that other rah rah stuff and you'll be driving to get lunch for more senior dispatchers in no time.

Also at the end of every interview I’ve ever been to, I get asked “any questions”

Have some gosh darn questions to ask them. It shows you’re engaged and interested. “What do you see as the long term growth opportunities for this role” “how many dispatchers are currently employed” etc

UW would probably be good experience due to their international flight planning - however there wouldn't be any flight benefits. Also for getting to a major there wouldn't be any actual 121 experience gained. Would be a decent first job though. Bonus points if you like/have ties to the area.

UW would probably be good experience due to their international flight planning - however there wouldn't be any flight benefits. Also for getting to a major there wouldn't be any actual 121 experience gained. Would be a decent first job though. Bonus points if you like/have ties to the area.
I think you'd learn a ton as far as knowledge gained, but would be a different experience than a traditional airline. No flight benefits would be a bummer though.

does anyone know if frontier hires those who are newly certificated or do they require experience? just curious.

Should I take this flight planner position (no actual dispatching) or wait out for a regional? Would it look bad if I left the flight planner position a few months into it :rolleyes:

Should I take this flight planner position (no actual dispatching) or wait out for a regional? Would it look bad if I left the flight planner position a few months into it :rolleyes:

If you go the offer, I wouldn’t plan on being allowed to leave, or being considered after just a few months there. AA usually wants people in their position for at least a year before you move somewhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AA usually wants people in their position for at least a year before you move somewhere else.

Sorry, but wouldn't experience at a regional count? I didn't mean a major airline would accept a few months at a 135.

Sorry, but wouldn't experience at a regional count? I didn't mean a major airline would accept a few months at a 135.

Now I’m confused.

I was referring to being in the FPS position that AA has been interviewing for.

AA’s internal unofficial policy is they don’t want you to leave a role until you’ve been in it a year and most hiring managers won’t hire you until you’ve been in your current role at AA a year.

Let’s not forget you’ll probably barely be out of training in a few months, so people would probably barely know you. Is that really the first thing you want them to know? “He just started and he’s already trying to leave.” Not the best impression when so much of this industry is relationships.

What he's saying is that if you're looking to get a foot in the door with american via crew scheduling or a flight planner in hopes to move into a dispatch position at american, they typically would keep you in that role for at least a year before considering you for another position.

Hey y'all. Found this forum recently and it's been a great resource as I plan a career transition from IT to DX in the next year or so! I have a couple of questions that I don't believe have been asked here yet:

1. Is there any sort of cadence to regional hiring practices as far as best time of year to attend a course/begin applying for positions? I realize that major hiring obviously informs it but didn't know if there's a time of year to shoot for? I'm thinking of attending class from November to December but was wondering if I'd have a potentially harder time finding work as the year winds down rather than before or after the new year/holidays.

2. Do DX employees usually have any sort of dress code restrictions on facial hair? I know pilots and other flight crew generally need to be clean shaven but wasn't sure if that was extended to dispatchers or other ops positions? I assume not, but wanted to check (I've rocked a beard for a long while now and want to know if I can keep it lol).

Hey y'all. Found this forum recently and it's been a great resource as I plan a career transition from IT to DX in the next year or so! I have a couple of questions that I don't believe have been asked here yet:

1. Is there any sort of cadence to regional hiring practices as far as best time of year to attend a course/begin applying for positions? I realize that major hiring obviously informs it but didn't know if there's a time of year to shoot for? I'm thinking of attending class from November to December but was wondering if I'd have a potentially harder time finding work as the year winds down rather than before or after the new year/holidays.

2. Do DX employees usually have any sort of dress code restrictions on facial hair? I know pilots and other flight crew generally need to be clean shaven but wasn't sure if that was extended to dispatchers or other ops positions? I assume not, but wanted to check (I've rocked a beard for a long while now and want to know if I can keep it lol).

1. The regionals are more or less always hiring. There‘s a class at a regional starting once a month usually. That may be drying up as regionals continue to consolidate. As you observed, the majors tend to hire 1-3 times a year and that’s it.
2. Dispatchers are allowed to have facial hair for the most part. There are a lot of bushy beards in my office. However, be warned that you must be shaven down to a mustache maximum at least once a year as you can not have a beard and sit in the jumpseat (because it interferes with the oxygen mask). Some of the guys with the best beards in the office end up doing their cockpit observation in the simulator, which doesn‘t have the restriction on facial hair. Most airlines, however, will require at least your initial jumpseat be on the line and not in the simulator.

Both American and American Light (Envoy). Manual states that as long as the jumpseater is aware that a beard can lessen the integrity of the seal they are good to go.
I wish the other airlines allowed for that.

Both American and American Light (Envoy). Manual states that as long as the jumpseater is aware that a beard can lessen the integrity of the seal they are good to go.

“If you’re willing to die of hypoxia, you may ride with the beard.”

WN allows them too.

Back