New Dispatcher FAQ

In an operation with multiple aircraft types are dispatchers assigned to one or do they work any aircraft?
You normally get trained in multiple groups if not all. At a regional, there are at most 3 different types of aircraft: the CRJ family, the ERJ-145 family and then the ERJ-175 family. At larger airlines they may break it down into narrow-body and wide-body then also into international/domestic and ETOPS/Non-ETOPS. It all depends on the airline.

Should I take the first job offer I get or wait a couple weeks to hear back from other applications?

What do you think? You’ve been around here for awhile posting a ton...what do you think the answer to that question is?

Well I don't know how long a regional would wait for an answer. But getting 2 offers would be lucky from what I understand.

Question: If you get an airline job like a crew scheduler would they eventually pay for you to become a flight dispatcher if you stayed with the airline?

Question: If you get an airline job like a crew scheduler would they eventually pay for you to become a flight dispatcher if you stayed with the airline?

Depends on the airline - but generally speaking, no. There are exceptions though.

Gojet and Trans States in STL send schedulers about every 3 years to get their licenses. It's only 2-3 from each airline at a time so it's pretty competitive as well.

Delta does have their own dispatch school. If you get hired in a non dispatch position and show you are a valuable employee you could be selected for that. I don’t think they pay for it 100% but I think they might help you out. Someone on here may be able to chime in with more accurate details on that process.

If you have no airline experience, do regionals call the school you go to for recommendations?
Almost certainly not. If you see a job opening, my only advice is to apply. Then apply to the next one, and the next one...if you’re really lucky maybe one of them will hire you.

if They don’t hire you,

then you should apply again and again and again.

Almost certainly not. If you see a job opening, my only advice is to apply. Then apply to the next one, and the next one...if you’re really lucky maybe one of them will hire you.

if They don’t hire you,

then you should apply again and again and again.

I was lucky enough to get hired after about a month of getting my license but I applied to every opening at the time (about 15) regardless of their location, pay, size, etc and landed interviews with just 4, one of them being SkyWest. There are people at my dispatch school who are still looking for a job so apply to as many openings as possible and keep applying.

If you have no airline experience, do regionals call the school you go to for recommendations?
No, they likely dont call for recommendations. Though the school i went to was at the time taught by a former shift manager at the regional i went to. He asked me one day towards the final week of class if i had heard from any of the airlines i had applied to. I replied no. He said that he was surprised because they had only a couple openings left and sent a text (which wasnt unusual for him to text before class) The next morning i got a phone call from hr saying they had a spot to interview later that day and i lucked out and got a conditional offer. He never admitted to it but i think he might have put a call in for me. Moral of the story being, from the second you walk in to your first class to the second you retire, make sure you're doing your best work. You never know what opportunities are there. And that goes even after you get a job because at 2.5 years in the field, i likely already am a maximum of 2 degrees of separation from 90% of the industry. I would rather people think i dont suck.

Back