Finally joined a flying club near DFW

ZapBrannigan

If it ain’t a Boeing, I’m not going. No choice.
Well finally joined a flying club near DFW and I am excited to share hundred dollar hamburgers with family and friends!

Now just need to find a pair of headsets for the kiddo to wear. Anybody have a cheap set sitting in the closet they want to sell?

Also thinking of a Stratus 2 or similar to go with ForeFlight. What recommendations do you have?

Thanks in advance!

Well finally joined a flying club near DFW and I am excited to share hundred dollar hamburgers with family and friends!

Now just need to find a pair of headsets for the kiddo to wear. Anybody have a cheap set sitting in the closet they want to sell?

Also thinking of a Stratus 2 or similar to go with ForeFlight. What recommendations do you have?

Thanks in advance!

Strutux kit! Neat project and save a few hundred for gas money!

Thanks in advance!

What club did you join? PM me if you don't want to say here.

I’d go with the Sentry over the Stratus.

Thanks in advance!

Strutux kit! Neat project and save a few hundred for gas money!

I’ve read some reviews that aren’t fantastic on that system, particularly the Raspberry Pi needing to be rebooted, or SD card being corrupted. Any particular kit you would recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve read some reviews that aren’t fantastic on that system, particularly the Raspberry Pi needing to be rebooted, or SD card being corrupted. Any particular kit you would recommend?

I built one out of parts I had mostly sitting around. Biggest problem is remembering to charge the battery. At the end of the day, it is a nice to have, situational awareness aid. Works great with Foreflight, and getting weather in the air is awesome.

The Stratus series has a very delicate micro ?USB connection that prone to failure. IIRC $175 to fix it.

Pick up a Scout. The only draw back is there is no battery, it runs off a cigarette / USB outlet.

What aircraft does the club have?

The scout doesn’t have AHRS and isn’t dual band for traffic. Also doesn’t have GPS so you’d be relying on the ipad’s GPS.

Couple of Warriors, a 172, and a Cherokee 6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have a stratus 2. Works great, long battery life. No issues with charging.

Since the price came down, the Sentry does look appealing for your need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have a stratus 2. Works great, long battery life. No issues with charging.

Since the price came down, the Sentry does look appealing for your need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yeah we rock 2 or maybe 2S at work. Other than the time some idiot (me) dropped it testing out the suction cup in the hangar and had to be sent back twice it’s worked solid.

I’ve been using the same Stratus for 5 years now without a single issue. Occasionally it will overheat if it’s sitting directly in the sun but I just put a small battery powered fan next to it and that keeps it cool enough.

Back