Delta tried to “trap” FA’s in delayed plane to keep them from walking

What's going on over at Delta? First, there's a problem between management and the machinists union with the whole "you're better off without a union" campaign of a few weeks ago. Is there also some problem between management and the FAs (Keep them from unionizing)? Seems like alot coming out in just the past couple of months, like a pot finallly boiling over.

Last edited:
Wouldn't be surprised if management scours the text server for that flight to try and find the leak.....
I wouldn't either. Someone wrote "F__K FIZER" on the pilots lounge mens bathroom stall at KSLC at my old regional airline. FIZER stood for Tony Fizer who was a very hated Chief Pilot at the SLC hub. He always talked down to pilots, always harassed them, always was looking for confrontation. So this genius goes and hires a handwriting expert to compare the handwriting with the pilots at the base and picks the one guy he thinks did it. Of course the pilot he picked had nothing to do with it. Nor did this idiot think it could have been one our pilots from another base just passing thru SLC. So he fires the guy(I don't know why the company let him do that or if he did it on his own). I think he needs HR's approval to fire a guy so I"m sure they signed off on it. The pilot had a boat load of cash and decided to sue the company. After over a year and $100,000 in attorneys fees, the pilot won. He got his job back, back pay, plus damages. The Salt Lake Tribune made sure it was a very public trial. The company looked really bad after that whole debacle. But it goes to show you how far mgmt was willing to go, just to satisfy their childish/egotistical desires.

Damn its been a long time. I found the link. https://www.employmentlawgroup.com/wp-content/pdf/douglas-v-skywest-airlines.pdf

Judge backs pilot who grounded self

If I remember correctly, Skywest eventually got fed up with Tony Fizer and took away his Chief Pilot status. A few months later, Tony crashed his helicopter into a hangar. Most of those guys are coming up on the early 70's now and long gone.

Last edited:
It's not typically the FA's decision if/when the jetbridge will be brought to the aircraft for them to open the door. (Perhaps it is a SouthJetz). "Trapped" sounds like a good buzzword, certainly Huffpost material. This would be a good analysis for CRM, what conversations were had with the cockpit crew and what did they relay with operations.

It's not typically the FA's decision if/when the jetbridge will be brought to the aircraft for them to open the door. (Perhaps it is a SouthJetz). "Trapped" sounds like a good buzzword, certainly Huffpost material. This would be a good analysis for CRM, what conversations were had with the cockpit crew and what did they relay with operations.
INTPH: “we’re about to time out”
CAM-1: # # okay we’ll get the jetway back ##

I wouldn't either. Someone wrote "F__K FIZER" on the pilots lounge mens bathroom stall at KSLC at my old regional airline. FIZER stood for Tony Fizer who was a very hated Chief Pilot at the SLC hub. He always talked down to pilots, always harassed them, always was looking for confrontation. So this genius goes and hires a handwriting expert to compare the handwriting with the pilots at the base and picks the one guy he thinks did it. Of course the pilot he picked had nothing to do with it. Nor did this idiot think it could have been one our pilots from another base just passing thru SLC. So he fires the guy(I don't know why the company let him do that or if he did it on his own). I think he needs HR's approval to fire a guy so I"m sure they signed off on it. The pilot had a boat load of cash and decided to sue the company. After over a year and $100,000 in attorneys fees, the pilot won. He got his job back, back pay, plus damages. The Salt Lake Tribune made sure it was a very public trial. The company looked really bad after that whole debacle. But it goes to show you how far mgmt was willing to go, just to satisfy their childish/egotistical desires.

Damn its been a long time. I found the link. https://www.employmentlawgroup.com/wp-content/pdf/douglas-v-skywest-airlines.pdf

Judge backs pilot who grounded self

If I remember correctly, Skywest eventually got fed up with Tony Fizer and took away his Chief Pilot status. A few months later, Tony crashed his helicopter into a hangar. Most of those guys are coming up on the early 70's now and long gone.

Sometimes I get asked why I think unions are necessary in this day in age. This is why right here.

It's to put a barrier up against the "tyranny of the incompetent".

Sometimes I get asked why I think unions are necessary in this day in age. This is why right here.

It's to put a barrier up against the "tyranny of the incompetent".

Ironically in that situation there was no union. Just a got with money to self fund his defense.

We had a similar issue at PSA in 2007 or 2008 where a Jets4Jobs captain got fed up with our chief pilot and took a dump and left it in the guy's file. (@Derg has the audio of the union comm piece that went out saved somewhere.) The company looked into doing DNA testing to find out who did it. How they were going to get samples to match it against we never really found out, but they were serious about it.

Ironically in that situation there was no union. Just a got with money to self fund his defense.

We had a similar issue at PSA in 2007 or 2008 where a Jets4Jobs captain got fed up with our chief pilot and took a dump and left it in the guy's file. (@Derg has the audio of the union comm piece that went out saved somewhere.) The company looked into doing DNA testing to find out who did it. How they were going to get samples to match it against we never really found out, but they were serious about it.

My guess is that most corporations work like insurance companies....they bet on the victim giving up. No matter how ridiculous, once a decision makes it to a certain level, which really isn't that far at all, they'll circle the wagons to protect whatever management person made the decision. That decision is MUCH easier to make knowing the victim has no recourse when there are fewer hoops to jump (with no representation.)

As we've seen, that's a dangerous game of chicken if someone gets pumped up and goes the distance. Certainly it's a long, long road (not to mention $$$) for the victim, but if they have the moxie to pull it off through the LONG time it takes, then more power to them. That's not ideal, though, because the whole idea is to make it through your career mostly hassle free, and that process is anything but that. But no matter how much it ultimately cost the company, I have NEVER seen the blow back make it to the person who made the 1st stupid decision on the management side. They all seem to walk away unscathed.

Having representation gives everyone time to pause to let cooler heads prevail.

Not surprising. Many times during long ground delays we'd be told to cycle the door to "reset the 3 hour rule."

Whenever I had a captain who wanted to comply with that my argument would be that the spirit of the rule isn't that people are fed up with being behind a closed door going nowhere, but rather being on a plane going nowhere.

Not surprising. Many times during long ground delays we'd be told to cycle the door to "reset the 3 hour rule."

Whenever I had a captain who wanted to comply with that my argument would be that the spirit of the rule isn't that people are fed up with being behind a closed door going nowhere, but rather being on a plane going nowhere.
Wouldn't that mess up your pay? Or at the least the acars that dictates your out time

Why, no, all corporations are infinitely benevolent creatures!

The other big gain when a dude protests his/her unfair treatment and wins, is that it *can* be a wake-up call to the company that something is rotten somewhere. They don't like losing (a.) face, (b.) bargaining position, and (c.) cash. It's a b-i-g drain on management time to deal with this s**t

Smart companies,. even those who hire dummies and promote them to their level of incompetence, can learn to start minding their store a little better.

Not guaranteed, of course, but it does happen.

Why, no, all corporations are infinitely benevolent creatures!

Ehh, I’m going to go ahead and say the person in question wasn’t necessarily universally seen as a “whistle blower” and there’s a particular process for particular stuff. I don’t feel like getting named in the lawsuit du jour so that’s all I’ll say.

We’ve had this discussion.

Back