Hangar foaming...

JeppUpdater

...is a much slower process than I imagined. Lots of “hey you’re gonna drown bro” sirens while the doors close and fans shut off.

I wouldn’t want to be the person cleaning it up, that’s for sure. @MikeD can you wash this away or does it have to be disposed of in some special way?

...is a much slower process than I imagined. Lots of “hey you’re gonna drown bro” sirens while the doors close and fans shut off.

I wouldn’t want to be the person cleaning it up, that’s for sure. @MikeD can you wash this away or does it have to be disposed of in some special way?

It's definitely not an instantaneous thing that happens. Depending on the type of foam being used, it can easily be washed away. However in reality, its collected and cleaned up in wastewater tanks and catches, as opposed to just washed out into drains and such. It's not the specific AFFF that has been identified recently as having carcinogens in it, however with the bad rap firefighting foam has received recently, even the "safe" foam is something they want to try and keep out of groundwater.

Didn’t CBP have a hangar-full of helicopters covered with that a few years ago?

8 months ago...

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Fully two minutes before foam even starts. In a hangar full of fueled up airplanes, everything is probably a total loss by that point.

What are the odds the fire burns through the suppression system before it even has a chance to do its job?

Fully two minutes before foam even starts. In a hangar full of fueled up airplanes, everything is probably a total loss by that point.

What are the odds the fire burns through the suppression system before it even has a chance to do its job?

Minimal.

The timing is about life safety, not property protection, in a building of this size.

The goal of your home smoke detector is to get you the hell out of the building, NOT to save your personal belongings or house. Home sprinkler systems could more probably do both, but few people have them. You have a house fire, your goal is to live (with your family) - it’s NOT to save replaceable items, however important they may be personally, in a situation where (literally) seconds make the difference.

A water sprinkler system won’t make much difference if Jet-A, or even 80 octane gasoline is involved. You need foam to contain and extinguish. Foam both limits visibility and is slippery in which to run; hence, the time for evacuation - because human life always trumps the loss of replaceable property and “things.”

Last edited:
Life safety comes first. You give people, in this situation, time to GTF out. Buildings and aircraft can be replaced. You could actually walk through this, if need be.

You SURE don’t want to be stuck in a server room when Halon dumps for an electrical fire, though.
Just stick a bunch of those raver kids in there. They like foam parties.

Minimal.

The timing is about life safety, not property protection, in a building of this size.

The goal of your home smoke detector is to get you the hell out of the building, NOT to save your personal belongings or house. Home sprinkler systems could more probably do both, but few people have them. You have a house fire, your goal is to live (with your family) - it’s NOT to save replaceable items, however important they may be personally, in a situation where (literally) seconds make the difference.

A water sprinkler system won’t make much difference if Jet-A, or even 80 octane gasoline is involved. You need foam to contain and extinguish. Foam both limits visibility and is slippery in which to run; hence, the time for evacuation - because human life always trumps the loss of replaceable property and “things.”
But can I evac with my carry on bags with me tho?:bounce:

Was that some kind of test event? What did I just see? Not to mention, if the foam didn't descend directly upon the burning airplane/airplanes, what the hell is the point? A hanger with a floor full of foam while the hydrocarbons in the wings of the planes above the foam continues to be fueled by oxygen which continues to convert the hydrocarbons into CO2, H2O and crispy stuff?

Was that some kind of test event? What did I just see? Not to mention, if the foam didn't descend directly upon the burning airplane/airplanes, what the hell is the point? A hanger with a floor full of foam while the hydrocarbons in the wings of the planes above the foam continues to be fueled by oxygen which continues to convert the hydrocarbons into CO2, H2O and crispy stuff?
They only test the system for a bit, then shut it off, hence the tarps around the edges to keep the cleanup to a minimum. It's designed to fill the entire volume of the hangar. I've seen it accidentally discharged in both hangars of a major pharmaceutical company, a few G550s and S76s with their doors left open on a holiday weekend... $$$

That foam is very corrosive to aircraft.
We have some UH-60Ms that got foamed in a hangar in Tulsa, Oklahoma. We still find foam-related corrosion on those aircraft every now and then.

What is the foam made of?
Concentrated aircraft dissolve, water, and air.
:) Haha! Just kidding.
That's a good question, I don't know.
I also wonder if there different kinds of foams used in hangar fire suppression systems.

Last edited:
Made of water, some surfactants, some mild acids; all designed to blanket and contain fuel vapors and fire suppress. Hangars use a high expansion type foam.

Back